What's everyone working on?

14 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Hmm, didn't think of that Kathie. I'll give them some brick colour tomorrow and see how it looks before grouting.

Maybe put some red brick color in areas that may have had some slight damage or chipping, like a corner or two. Red brick peeking out from behind the light colored paint ... not full blown shabby chic but maybe signs of aging?

6 hours ago, WestPaces said:

They are egg carton bricks Nell Marie, They are egg carton color as I haven't painted them yet :D I wanted them brick color, then I changed my mind and bought a paint I liked, guess what, when a did a test piece the colour was exactly the same as the egg cartons :crazyeyes:. I'm going to try brick color, just for fun and if I don't like it I'll paint them. Still haven't grouted them though...

For what its worth I really like the lighter color, its fresher looking imo. 

11 hours ago, Keifer said:

For what its worth I really like the lighter color, its fresher looking imo. 

Thanks Keith, I agree but I'm going to give the brick color a go out of curiosity. Also re your earlier post, I too am not a fan of the Victorian style normally. Too much fancy trim for me, I prefer Georgian or colonial; but this house was a cheap enough kit to practice on and she has grown on me and allowed me to discover how much I love this hobby. I am trying to keep her as sober as possible :) 

Still fiddling with the curtain in the Steampunk build, need to actually glue it in place but that Will have to want until I have installed the exterior copper trim Along with the windowlarge.IMG_1504.JPG.45526dc57d6b09cb01a95

No one makes the size windows I need, so I have to make them. I made the first window using very thin strips of veneer as muntins. As I finished the first window I realized I'd lost my line and some of the muntins didn't match up. Then I decided it looked clunky anyhow and I should start over with another method. I went out in search of 1/16" striping or graphic tape or paint pens. I only found the paint pens. I didn't like the effect of the acrylic pen, but the oil based paint pen came out nice. I was almost finished my window when The paint glopped and made a mess I couldn't clean off the acrylic. I started over with another piece of acrylic. I got the whole window all done, painted over the lines to thicken and straighten them, got to near the very end and a big glop of paint splotched out. Ruined again. Then I started searching online for the dang tape. No one in my area seems to have it in stock, and on Amazon it'll be up to a week and a half wait to get it. I'm beginning to wonder if the straws from a whisk broom would work. If I have to wait over a week for the dang tape I ought to be able to come up with something before that. I could try painting the lines again, but I've never been able to paint or draw a straight line.

@grazhina another case of somedays you are pigeon or other days you are the statue!

Then I sing this song...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcEWhbQkEg

Ah, the good old days.....when there was a choice between Hee Haw, Lawrence Welk and professional bowling. No wonder the world is going crazy!!!

Mark the calendar -- I finally began work on the Beacon Hill! Remodeling the staircase is the project on the work table. I'm replacing the kit banisters and handrail with Houseworks round banisters. I stained all of the banisters and newel posts. I discovered that the edges of the treads are a bit rough looking, so I've ordered some 1/8" quarter round to add. Will update the blog when I have the middle floor staircase finished. I'm working on it first, as it's a straight shot, no landings as on the ground floor section. I'm still determined to make the sections removable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Mark the calendar -- I finally began work on the Beacon Hill! Remodeling the staircase is the project on the work table. I'm replacing the kit banisters and handrail with Houseworks round banisters. I stained all of the banisters and newel posts. I discovered that the edges of the treads are a bit rough looking, so I've ordered some 1/8" quarter round to add. Will update the blog when I have the middle floor staircase finished. I'm working on it first, as it's a straight shot, no landings as on the ground floor section. I'm still determined to make the sections removable. 

woo hoo Kathie, glad to hear you're back at it :)

While cleaning my workroom and being desperate to find some table space...I made the very difficult decision to put my faerie manor outdoors. Ive thought about it for years, its a difficult house for me to display because of its large L shape footprint.  So, its now nestled into the wild rose bushes, perched over some boulders, under a pine tree. I think it looks kinda cool. Im enjoying it again, and see it everyday beacuse this area is out the front window. There are quail in the roses,I cant prove it but I think theyre enjoying it too.

33593323_10212633891581972_9130592896355926016_n.jpg

33339737_10212633892181987_624797701527044096_n.jpg

42 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

While cleaning my workroom and being desperate to find some table space...I made the very difficult decision to put my faerie manor outdoors. Ive thought about it for years, its a difficult house for me to display because of its large L shape footprint.  So, its now nestled into the wild rose bushes, perched over some boulders, under a pine tree. I think it looks kinda cool. Im enjoying it again, and see it everyday beacuse this area is out the front window. There are quail in the roses,I cant prove it but I think theyre enjoying it too.

33593323_10212633891581972_9130592896355926016_n.jpg

33339737_10212633892181987_624797701527044096_n.jpg

No better place for this house! Love it!  How is Monica the Haunted doing?

I hope so to the fairies moving in, and to surviving the elements! It’s under a pretty thick canopy of the rose vines. I still have the scratches on my arms from trying to get it back in there...we’ve had some wild spring storms and no change in it so far. I think if it lasts that long (I hope) it will look really cool when it snows. It’s on a foam base so the wood isn’t touching the ground. I live in a high desert type climate with not a lot of rain but heavy snow. It’ll be interesting so see how long it lasts. 

Karin, you may want to put something over it to protect it from the snow. The snow will be pretty, but the water it turns into as it melts may cause some uncomfortable warping.

I was thinking that too, a tarp over it thru jan-feb at least will extend its longevity. Tempting to add other little fairy items all around it lol..might end up being called fairy hill. 

• Like 1

Starting the paper clay work on my Pierce . WOW it is very  time consuming. I'm starting wth the roof hoping I'll be pretty good at it by the time I get to the stone work. Next house will be a cottage (small)

15 minutes ago, NellBell said:

Starting the paper clay work on my Pierce . WOW it is very  time consuming. I'm starting wth the roof hoping I'll be pretty good at it by the time I get to the stone work. Next house will be a cottage (small)

By the end of the Pierce, you’ll be an expert! :D