What's everyone working on?

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

@Sable for whatever reason I can’t get the comment box to pop up so I’ll comment here...did you carve that pumpkin? It’s amazing! 

Thank you, yes. I found the idea and the tinker bell template on Pinterest. The pixie dust was done by free hand with my dremel trio.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018, 2:18:27, Lita said:

I’m playing around with this 3D pen. I wanted to see if I could make wrought iron fence or gates. I decided to play with the green and yellow to avoid wasting the black, but now I see all sorts of possibilities. It’s gonna take some practice though, and less coffee!

A6DFCEBA-851E-47E8-AFD3-E17C72469C08.jpeg

@lita how durable is the plastic once cooled?  I really like the idea of making wrought iron, is it sturdy enough?

20 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

@lita how durable is the plastic once cooled?  I really like the idea of making wrought iron, is it sturdy enough?

@Qubanqtee, there are 3 kinds of plastic that can be used in this pen: PLA, ABS, and Flexy. I’m using ABS, which Melts at the higher temp, is the least brittle, and has a bit of flexibility to it. I was able to bend my square fence and cobweb shapes without breaking them. The connections where I bonded one strand to another also didn’t break as long as I had a solid connection to start with.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lita said:

@Qubanqtee, there are 3 kinds of plastic that can be used in this pen: PLA, ABS, and Flexy. I’m using ABS, which Melts at the higher temp, is the least brittle, and has a bit of flexibility to it. I was able to bend my square fence and cobweb shapes without breaking them. The connections where I bonded one strand to another also didn’t break as long as I had a solid connection to start with.

@Lita, thank you so much!  I've definitely going to give this a try!

3 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

@Lita, thank you so much!  I've definitely going to give this a try!

@Qubanqtee, you motivated me to practice again. I thought I could try a wrought iron head board. The top was my first attempt, and I stopped to watch the Angie Scarr video again. My second attempt today is looking a bit better. I think I’ll get there. The flour-de-lis on the bottom pattern are going to be nigh impossible.

4B84944E-85A6-4470-BA67-89913E227EE8.jpeg

A8E5D1A3-5DB9-4963-B6AA-5E4B37A02EFB.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lita said:

My second attempt today is looking a bit better.

The overall effect of the slight unevenness reminds me of the wonderful hand-made wrought iron I saw in southern Spain. It has so much more character than the smooth square rods seen on modern fences. 

57 minutes ago, KathieB said:

The overall effect of the slight unevenness reminds me of the wonderful hand-made wrought iron I saw in southern Spain. It has so much more character than the smooth square rods seen on modern fences. 

I also thought of the handmade wrought iron seen in some of the old Southern cemeteries. You can always work on the fleur-de-lis and add them later.

34 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I also thought of the handmade wrought iron seen in some of the old Southern cemeteries. You can always work on the fleur-de-lis and add them later.

I tried to spell fleur-de-lis correctly but my phone thought it knew better!

I stumbled across this blog by a young woman who is building a dollhouse from scratch.  She did a mock up in cardboard first to get an overall feel for the final product.  I thought this was a good idea so I decided to do the same.   I have been working on sketches of what I want my house to look like but what looks good on paper doesn’t always translate well.   So that is what I will be working on today. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I stumbled across this blog by a young woman who is building a dollhouse from scratch.  She did a mock up in cardboard first to get an overall feel for the final product.  I thought this was a good idea so I decided to do the same.   I have been working on sketches of what I want my house to look like but what looks good on paper doesn’t always translate well.   So that is what I will be working on today. 

Yahoo! Another build.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keifer said:

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.  Also, would you mind sharing the name of/a link to the blog?  I'm very interested in scratch builds of complete houses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the first bright and sunny day we'd had for quite a while, so my spirits uplifted and my studio filled with light, I started back to work on my foam built Colonial era stone house. I hadn't worked on it in weeks, and when I picked it up to move to my work table I picked it up by the top of the gable walls and heard a small cracking sound. I'd forgotten that I hadn't quite finished reinforcing the one second floor gable. It took me a while, but I finally figured out how to fix my problem and it's ok now. I couldn't remember how I was going to tackle the dormer window either. Had to start my thought process over again and figure things out. I'd just cut a hole in my roof panel this afternoon and was starting to back to my 3rd floor studio when I decided to thaw some chili for dinner and then my microwave broke and we wound up going out to buy a replacement. I hope I can get back to the colonial house tomorrow and can remember how I finally remembered how to do the dormer.

• Like 1

I have discarded the Whitney house  I thought about last week as it doesn't fit the space I wanted it for and I have actually begun the work on my mystery British house .  It is very loosely screwed together  so needs a lot of help, the bits that are glued are hot glued and it is everywhere. Some of the shingles don't line up with the other side of the house and whoever built it ran out of shingles so turned the last one on their sided to cover the area. I managed to get all the old glued carpets out earlier this year.

This poor house has been yelling at ne for a long time and  I have turned my back on it. It was shipped over from the UK but it was not what the seller described so I was annoyed with the house itself. Now it  seems it's time has come and I have forgiven it,,poor thing. Some of the repairs I can do on my lap so I may be able to do it. There is smeared glue all over the shingles which I was going to stain as they are all odd colors but in solid rows  , consequently the whole roof looks striped. I guess once I figure out the repairs the roof will have to be painted.

Poor little house, I will have to find a name for it then it becomes something.

British house.jpg

• Like 1

I kind of like the different shades on the roof. Of course you could always cover the entire roof with snow and make it a winter house.....or moss for a fairy house....but I know you said you already have plans for it. Have fun, thanks for the picture. 

Been having trouble finding my mini mojo lately.... a bit of a funk.  I went out to the garage to cut some wood just to make me feel like I was doing something.  I figure I’ll build the base and see if that sparks a fire.