What's everyone working on?

On 3/30/2019, 2:12:12, miniaddicted said:

The bathroom space in my French Country seems awkward - the attic and its angles - and I decided it needed a knee wall to be able to place furniture in a more pleasing manner. I dug through all sorts of things in my stash and came up with this wainscoting that I had pre-stained. I can't even recall what the original intent was but I have enough to make it work here. This is all simply laid out, I haven't done anything yet. I did pick up a couple 3" bass wood strips to build the knee wall so I just need to make a template (for the angle on the right side) and build it. The pre-stained wainscoting will be attached to the basswood and I'll finish it with a chair rail strip. 

Still have to attach the flooring to a posterboard so there is not a clear seam....

large.20190316_125055resized.jpg.fa4bff0

Just lovely! :)

As I was getting ready to go to bed I ran over in my mind what I needed to do to my stone house tomorrow and I realized an awful thing. I'd been in such a rush to get my roof shingled before my surgery in February that I totally forgot about the chimney! I have a feeling I'm going to have to try and pry quite a few shingles off to make room for it, and I've pretty much used up all my shingles. I hope I can get them off, I tend to glue those suckers on really tightly. At least I didn't glue on the ridge boards yet.

Well I have not been into mini making the last few weeks :ermm: but today I decided to cut some glass for the patio entrance into kitchen.  I cut 3 panes and did a little trim work and it felt good to spark the flame so to speak.  I hope everyone else’s projects are going well.  

I know what you mean, Keith.  You are more tool savvy than I, and your projects are awesome.  Even so, I can relate to your situation.  I'm so stuck right now I'm thinking of signing up for a subscription to a paper miniatures kit company.  If I commit to a book kit every month, I have to follow through and actually make them ... a kind of forced kickstart for my muse ... at least, that's my plan.

I have been kinda "stuck" as well, but then over the weekend I realized that I needed to light a fire under my butt because I had promised to donate a dollhouse to a benefit auction!  My Colonial house was already to go with just a few shingles to repair, so I rummaged through my stash and found a number of furniture items of my own I could use, and then made a trip to my local mini store to fill in the gaps (and chat with the 93 yr old owner for WAY too long! LOL).  When I got home I went to the attic to retrieve the Colonial house - - - and it wasn't there!! ??  Oh dang it! :doh::dunce:  I had totally forgotten that I had SOLD it a couple of years ago!  SO.....off to Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon I went!  I bought a Vermont Farmhouse Jr kit.  Now let's see just how quickly I can knock this sucker out!! :eek:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jbnmini said:

Oh dang it! :doh::dunce:  I had totally forgotten that I had SOLD it a couple of years ago

You made me laugh out loud and scare my cat! I guess the fire is really lit now. Happy and fast building Jackie!

• Like 2

Well this weekend was a mini show in my little corner of the world, and so I went to that with my addiction hobby enabler of a mother on Saturday. I picked up a bunch of nice minis which I'll share just as soon as I can get to a camera. Then on Sunday I made this little guy! I think it's been about 15 years since I last touched polymer clay, so I'm going to mark this as a win. Now to the hard part, baking him!

large.20190414_221337.jpg.67713845258c5b

• Like 2

I love Groot and baby Groot!

My bathroom is being remodeled at this moment, so I'm spending my time on the 3rd floor in my studio. Today I took a wood burning tool in hand to try my luck at carving a styrofoam block into a tree stump. I did the back side to start with, and just painted it with some raw sienna. In the second picture I propped up the door I made. I'm planning on making a little wooden roof over the door, and I wanted a curved base for the planks, so I cut an arch out of some builders foam and painted it brown. I'm pleased with how it's going.

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

• Like 3

:rofl:

Well, the work on my VT Farmhouse is progressing.  While gluing the house body together I managed to install the middle floor with the stair opening in the opposite side. :dunce: Oops.  Well, guess having the stairs face the front of the house rather than the back isn't the end of the world.  Onward! :cheer:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shy Spirit said:

The bark look is very effective, Grazhina!  The little door is already so inviting ... I can't wait to see more.  Do you know who will move in when you're finished?

I bought some inexpensive gnomes for my granddaughter & kept a few for myself!

I thought I was going to have to go buy more raw sienna paint, but I found another bottle, unfortunately it's a different brand and doesn't look anything like my old one. Looks Like I'm going to have to try a different shade.

I'm having trouble deciding if I want to stain these floors to match the staircase or leave them this color and just clear coat them. I kind of love the color they are but will it look weird that they won't match any of the other wood? I still have to add beam work and all of that will be stained dark like the stairs.

IMG_8903.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

I'm having trouble deciding if I want to stain these floors to match the staircase or leave them this color and just clear coat them. I kind of love the color they are but will it look weird that they won't match any of the other wood? I still have to add beam work and all of that will be stained dark like the stairs.

I rather like the interest of the different wood tones. Once there are rugs on the floor and furniture in place I don't think it will look quite as stark. Do you have furnishings that you could stage at this point to see how it looks to you?

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

I'm having trouble deciding if I want to stain these floors to match the staircase or leave them this color and just clear coat them.

In our house, we have mahogany woodwork and lighter oak floors, and it works just fine.  I really like the natural color of the wood floor you have, and I would keep it.

There are ceiling beams on the first floor that will be dark for sure. The top floor has roof beams that are pretty high up and I dont think it will matter so much that they are dark. I actually really like the look, just wanted to make sure I wasnt crazy lol.