What's everyone working on?

Ooh, yes, Miranda - a Wizard's place can be taken in several directions all at the same time!  No holds barred - what fun!

Christine, do you have any pics of your cottage?  I like the hint you dropped of a love story ... it makes a difference to a dollhouse ... giving it a history, a life of its own ... every house needs to be a home - even a miniature one.

Isn't it disappointing when you can't match up the paint?  Never mind, Grazhina - if I know your work (and I do) it will be the most wonderful gnome home, chosen by the gnomes particularly because of the beauty of the bark exterior. 

• Like 2

Well....bit by bit I am getting things done on my donation house.....3rd floor walls are being painted before I put the roof on (looks like Neapolitan ice cream! LOL), shutters, windows and railings are being painted...

pink shutters.jpg

roof.jpg

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019, 5:20:58, SewMini said:

I'm having trouble deciding if I want to stain these floors to match the staircase or leave them this color and just clear coat them. I kind of love the color they are but will it look weird that they won't match any of the other wood? I still have to add beam work and all of that will be stained dark like the stairs.

IMG_8903.jpg

I like different coloured timbers together. 

On 19/04/2019, 7:40:29, Shy Spirit said:

Ooh, yes, Miranda - a Wizard's place can be taken in several directions all at the same time!  No holds barred - what fun!

Christine, do you have any pics of your cottage?  I like the hint you dropped of a love story ... it makes a difference to a dollhouse ... giving it a history, a life of its own ... every house needs to be a home - even a miniature one.

Isn't it disappointing when you can't match up the paint?  Never mind, Grazhina - if I know your work (and I do) it will be the most wonderful gnome home, chosen by the gnomes particularly because of the beauty of the bark exterior. 

I’ve put a couple up but it needs some repair (the work crew is also the demolition crew :cry:) and a good clean - this house has genuine dust, grime and cobwebs! 

• 1 month later...

I started working on a kitchen room box using the Reutter Porcelain Country Blue sink cabinet. I picked out a hutch and wondered if I should repaint it white or match it to the sink. Figuring it would look better matched to the sink, I started mixing paints till I got the right color. Last night I thought I had it down pat, maybe needed a little tweak or two. This morning I gave the hutch its first coat of paint and discovered that the Reutter sink cabinet isn't a blue gray, it's green.It never looked green to me before, but next to my cabinet it most surely looks green. I don't know if I should keep tweaking my blue paint or start over fresh with a green base.

Matching colors is always fun.  My problem is, once I mix a special color....what is the best container to save it in so it doesn't dry out?

Since I've got my mojo going because of the VT Farmhouse I just did, I figured I might as well not take a break and jump right back into working on the Newport!  Besides, with 2 new grandbabies coming by Christmas, I will need to get it done and OUT of my house!!  :D  I can't be spending my time on a dollhouse when there are grandbabies to hold! :cloud9:

I will start by finishing up the reading nook under the staircase.  I did the foamboard mock-up and now need to move forward and cut out the wood parts---but first a trip to my hardware store: I broke my bandsaw blade.  ggrrrr…..

5 hours ago, jbnmini said:

My problem is, once I mix a special color....what is the best container to save it in so it doesn't dry out?

I like containers with screw tops. Place two layers of thin [grocery bag] plastic over the opening. They will help make a tight seal and will keep the lid clean, prevent it from sticking. I suppose plastic containers with snap-on lids would also work; I'd use the plastic bag bits with them as well. Also regular house paint cans.

Not much on the mini front for me, though I got plenty of inspiration on my KY road trip. Spent a lovely week there, half the time in Maysville, the other half in Danville. Met so many friendly people, and I even got to chat with Annelle Ferguson about needlepoint. I also bought a few goodies in Danville, including a lovely iron bed for a future Victorian project, and a nice country kitchen appliance set for another future build, a cozy cottage. I'm avoiding the early heat here by cross stitching some pillowcases for my mom.

• Like 1

Yesterday I turned a funky looking defective white triple dresser into a kitchen hutch. The other one, the one I was trying to match up to the Reutter sink cabinet now looks greener and the Reutter one looks bluer. I'm looking at the photo, and in it, the one I painted looks blue, and the Reutter one looks green, in spite of the fact that I mixed the paint for the hutch using a green as a base color. Just goes to show you can't trust what colors you see on a screen. In real eye view, though, with one on one wall and the other on the other wall, it's not really noticeable, so I'm happy with it.

IMG_3077.JPG

I think all of that looks great - I love the blue hutches with china in them. I've been wanting that sink, but I need to figure out how to weather/age the bright white porcelain as my dollhouse "people" are not pristine clean people, lol. 

We have similar taste - I love all of those hutches - especially in blue, and I am always looking at that stove on ebay...sigh. I love that one. I have that icebox and baking table too - that iceboax is so awesome - is yours filled? I love how Reutter filled it even the block of ice!

7 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I think all of that looks great - I love the blue hutches with china in them. I've been wanting that sink, but I need to figure out how to weather/age the bright white porcelain as my dollhouse "people" are not pristine clean people, lol. 

We have similar taste - I love all of those hutches - especially in blue, and I am always looking at that stove on ebay...sigh. I love that one. I have that icebox and baking table too - that iceboax is so awesome - is yours filled? I love how Reutter filled it even the block of ice!

Yes, Jenn, it's chock full.

The vintage tile flooring sheet I ordered came today, as did some sheets of subway tile. I liked them so much I ordered some more. I'd like to get them into the room tomorrow so I can look at it all and decide what color the top part of the wall should be, probably either white or a light blue, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking of this as my Reutter kitchen. I've already put together the furniture I'm going to use for another roombox which I've labelled 1930's kitchen. 

With the two hutches on different walls they appear to be so close in color on my  monitor that they both look so close in color I can't tell; to me the right hand hutch looks slightly greener than the Reutter hutch, but I figure it's the light in the photo.

I glued in the subway tile sheets and the floor tile sheet and painted the wall above the tile a very pale blue color that's a faint echo of the color of the flooring. Next I get to work on the accessorizing.

IMG_3082.JPG

• Like 2

I've been reading all of your posts with envy, but not really participating due to some unexpected family health issues. My sweet husband had open heart surgery after the doctor found extensive disease after his angiogram. My husband is fortunate to be alive and doubly fortunate to not have had a heart attack. The way his blockages were situated could have easily made me a widow. Did I mention my husband is an overachiever? It is looking like he will be discharged tomorrow, and now the real fun begins!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I've been reading all of your posts with envy, but not really participating due to some unexpected family health issues. My sweet husband had open heart surgery after the doctor found extensive disease after his angiogram. My husband is fortunate to be alive and doubly fortunate to not have had a heart attack. The way his blockages were situated could have easily made me a widow. Did I mention my husband is an overachiever? It is looking like he will be discharged tomorrow, and now the real fun begins!

Oh Carrie, I’m so sorry to here, but glad it was caught in time. My husband has heart disease caused by chronic astronomically high essential high blood pressure. I know how stressful this can be on the rest of the family. Sending all good thought and wishes to your Hubby and to you and your family.:flowers:

6 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

It is looking like he will be discharged tomorrow, and now the real fun begins!

He is so fortunate, especially to have you as his partner! Your care and encouragement will make all the difference in his recovery and subsequent healthier lifestyle! Be sure to take some much needed time for yourself to recharge. We often overlook care for ourselves and this leads to fantasies about running away and not telling anyone where our new address is, lol! Seriously, get yourself a new mini project to look forward to to help balance this new stress. Hugs and prayers Carrie!!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Carrie I wish you both well during his recovery. It's truly fortunate that they found his issue before anything more happened. Find time for yourself too. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know I don't come around so often these days, but I have to say I love this community and the work everyone makes and inspire me to do. You are a lighthouse in the dark!

Latelly I've been stuck in a rythm of work that is so taxing on my health, and I've been warned several times it might leave permanent damage on my body and brain. It's the later part that scares me the most, because I've always needed my hands to work. Few weeks ago I noticed I was having problems folding papper... I know, terrifying! Brain damage can make one lose the ability to do such simple tasks, it's a bit sad and frustrating. But I'm going to stay positive that this can be fixed with a bit of practise doing things that bring other people joy, like we do here. 

Thank you for all the inspiration through the years and my best wishes for everyone that is going through a rough time right now! You are never alone <3

• Like 3