8/12/06 Where Did Your Baby Sleep?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Never Be Done

• Is Good For Some but not for me
    • Made me feel closer to my child
    • Made Us all sleep better
    • I am against it

PS when he got older and had nightmares, etc., I would lay down with him for a while until he fell asleep, and I often fell asleep as well, but would always wake up eventually and go in my own bed. However, my sister has two children who are very different personalities from my son and exhibited unusual behavior when she didn't sleep all night with them. The oldest would compulsively wash his hands until they were red and raw, the younger would just be very nervous and clingy and wake up screaming if he was alone. So she slept in the king-sized bed with both boys for quite a long time. (her hubby was quite happy to have one of the other bedrooms to himself and not be disturbed at night by the kids waking up and calling for mom)

Now the oldest is by himself but the four-year-old still needs her. She is also concerned because he has night terrors and will sleepwalk or even start climbing on the headboard in his sleep, so it's a safety issue as well. I know she wishes she didn't have to sleep with her son all the time, but truly he is much emotionally healthier at this age when she is next to him. Both boys are a little high-strung and need some extra closeness, and the younger may have a certain disorder she is looking into as well.

I say that you just have to do whatever works for your child and your family.

I thought I would have been a crib or bassinet person, but my grandmother got me this really comfortable recliner and the first weeks were spent sleeping with her on my chest in the recliner. She was a really quiet, easy baby and I sometimes wonder if the transition period of hearing mom's heartbeat and what not while sleeping on mom in the recliner helped. Eventually from there she slept in her crib just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I let all three of mine sleep with me, although during those years I didn't sleep well because I was too scared of rolling over on the baby. I nursed the younger two and having them with me made this easier. The oldest one I started nursing, but had to stop when I had surgery when she was a month old.