8/12/06 Where Did Your Baby Sleep?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Never Be Done

• Is Good For Some but not for me
    • Made me feel closer to my child
    • Made Us all sleep better
    • I am against it

Both of mine slept in their cribs. I would be to afraid of crushing or smothering them. I think that if kids sleep with you when their babies that it would be harder to get them to sleep in their own beds when they gets bigger.

I am a VERY VERY rough sleeper that tosses and turns all night, therfor it would not be safe in my home. Many of my children slept in anything from a dresser drawer to a crib, right beside my bed. One who was on a heart monitor slept in a bassinett that could be moved around the house then a playpen so that I would always be within 15 seconds of reaching her when the alarm went off, She grew up healthy and when she was 2 they decided that the surgery they thought she would need, would not be needed afterall. ( this is the daughter that is expecting her first child).

Melissa

all my babies slept in the bassinet next to our bed and the baby bed was always in our room till they had outgrown nursing.

the babies always started in their bed and ended in ours. we always had an open door policy until the kids themselves decided they were too big.

I miss Sat morning cartoons and cereal in bed. we had a california kingsize waterbed while the kids were small. lots of room for cuddles and snuggles.

we used to spend Thanksgiving in our room also...funny tradition that only lasted while we were important to the kids :D

DH would put all the leftovers in a cooler with paperplates and drinks and we rented movies and picniced in the bedroom and watched movies. no phone or company. we once had a Planet of the Apes marathon.

I dont know why there is so much controversy over this subject....with any child rearing issues you will have some who carry this to the extreme...IMHO....I always felt it was kind of cruel to expect the babies to sleep alone when the parents are sleeping with eachother...I always felt guilty about making Catriona sleep all by herself when the boys had each other in their room and we were in our room...so even though she started in her room she usually ended up with us till she was about 8 or 9....not all the time.

my BGF was a single mom and all of her kids slept with her until they decided not to. all had beds but moms bed was comfy and safe for them. of course with kids sleeping with you...

you do not get much sleep. <_<

DH was glad when the kids decided they were too big to sleep with us...waking up to feet in your back or mouth isnt much fun when you have to work the next day. but ooohhh the memories! :p

:lol:

All my kids have slept in our bed at one point or another. I nursed all of them and they all slept most of the night. Sarah still climbs in our bed (Or Rachels) and we are fine with it. Most nights now though, she waits until an hour before I get up and climb in the bed. Some nights she gets in our bed because she had a bad dream or something.

When I was working and Chris was home all day with Rachel, she missed me so much she would not leave my side all while I was home and I missed being with her too so she always started off in her bed but within the hour she was either on the cold floor by my side of the bed or in the middle of Chris and I.

David only came in our room if he got scared during the night and Chris did not like it (Had to get up and go to work) cause David was 8 years old :lol: when that started but David would just get closer to my side and Chris really did not mind too much <_< (David even wrote a story about it and we had it copyrighted & published).

My mother on the other hand has ALWAYS been against it even when we were kids and had a nightmare she climbed in the bed with me till I fell asleep but we could not get in there bed. My brothers shared a room and my parents shared a room and I was the only girl and felt alone (Just like Lynette said :p ).

Before bed, we all have tea and toast and use that time to talk about favorite things that happened during the day. My younger brother and I did this with each other growing up (Don't know why or how it started but we did it every night. :D

RayAnne slept in her room in her crib. We had a waterbed, even if we wanted her to sleep with us that would have been out of the question.

The first 2 weeks when we got her we were out of state so she slept in the cutest basket bassinet on the floor next to us.

When we got home I tried to put her in our room in a reg. bassinet but babies are wiggly and noisy sleepers so I was constatntly jumping up to check on her, so then I moved her into her room across the hall with a baby moniter. I still jumped up everytime I would hear her move on the moniter so then I said fooey!! If she is hungry enough I will hear her cry from across the hall so off with the moniter and we all slept much better. :lol: She started sleeping throught the night at 6 weeks.

Of course on and off through the years we would feel her squirm in between us at night. :p

We were never allowed to do that growing up either.

I guess I should tell you all that my baby now nearly 14 slept with me last night. <_< (Daddy was staying at the hospital with his dad.) So she still sneeks in when she gets the chance.

SuzyQ

When David can't sleep at night (He'll be 18 years old) Chris will get up and they will watch a old movie on TMC or something. Sometimes Me and the girls have to ask them to turn down the TV (They must both be deaf or somthing :D )

David will wake us up still in the middle of the night if he has a cold to ask what medicine should he take (We know that mean I need attention from Mom or Dad) Sometimes he wakes me up and sometimes he wakes up Chris. I notice he only does this if I don't go in his room and let him know I am checking up on him (I gotta bump his bed and act like it was an accident because if I check on him while he's sick and he does not wake up, I KNOW he is gonna wake one of us up during the night <_< )

Yeap, he's a big baby when he's sick but so is Chris. He's sick now with a really bad cold and so every night before he goes to bed, I make him peppermint tea and 1 piece of toast and the girls help me. I spoil all of them :lol:

Suzy Q, I think it's so sweet that she still comes in the bed with you. :p

The only place my daughter would sleep was on dh's chest or mine for the first few weeks. They all slept with me for the first month or so and then a bassinet in our room untill they were too big or active. I nursed all of mine too and it was easier to keep them close. They still sleep with me every so often when dh is out of town.

Well, since I don't have kids it's a hard one to answer, but when we adopt I hope she'll want to sneak in and sleep with us! I'd be okay with it as long as she doesn't snore! Then she'll be relegated to the basement with Brian!! <_<

I, on the other hand, still sleep with my Mom once in a while whenever we're visiting, seems like we talk into the night, so might as well!! At least until she starts snoring . . . then I'm outta there!! :lol:

My kids never slept in my bed but I never minded if they came in and we talked or watched tv, which always happened on Sunday mornings anyway. I was too afraid of them being hurt in the night. But I sure remember the nights when I would sit on their beds till they fell asleep when they weren't feeling well.

My daughter and I are going away for two weeks this Saturday and since our motel rooms are booked, it looks like we'll be sharing the rooms which is great by me. Lots of talking and laughing through the night. It will be our first time travelling, just the two of us.

We've already decided we are going to scrapbook our trip, so the nights will be filled with writing our stories of the day and putting pictures to go with them. Can you tell I'm excited?

Both of mine slept in a moses basket next to our bed until they were 6 months old. I personally am not against it but as both me and my husband work nights any co-sleeping would have been done with only 1 parent. I'd have been more scared about them falling off the bed rather than smothering them. :p

Bethany sneaks into our room a few times a week. Normally an hour or so before get-up time, and this I dont mind. Occassionally she will try it on and come in in the early early hours. I always take her back to her own bed then, but she seems to get away with more when I am at work! <_< DH's excuse is that he does not hear her come in - but I think he just does not want to get out of bed himself to take her back. :D

Kieran is still in a high sided cot, but we are going to change this down to a bed in the next couple of months, and seeing as he does EVERTHING his sister does, I think things are going to get a little squished! :lol:

Both of our girls would sleep with us occasionally. Usually after they were asleep I would move them back to their beds. But I was never surprised if I woke up in the morning and they had managed to slip back in bed with me.

Once, when DH wasn't feeling well, the youngest DD (about 5 at the time) when in and placed her hand on his head and told him she was just checking to make sure he was ok, but since she was there she thought she'd just sleep with him. That was her excuse for staying that night.

It was real nice that about a week before oldest DD was deployed she had come home to visit and she and I stayed up so late that when we went to bed we slept together like old times. I think it was comforting to both of us.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a single mother, the first few days my first daughter slept in a drawer next to my bed,lol. The crib I got from a family member needed to be stained and I had put it off, she arrived 2 weeks early,grrr...figures. I had to wait 3 days for the chemicals to disapate for her to use the crib.Then after all that fuss I started sleeping with her on my chest on the couch for the first 7 months, she slept like an angel. I am a light sleeper and I can sleep for hours in the same position. I wouldn't recommend it for others, but for me it was great ,I think she slept better because she was so close to my heartbeat.

I have to say that I did not intend to allow ben to sleep with us, he did start out in a bassinet. I think as a new mom I was so worried about him all the time i wanted to keep him as close as possible to me, and i always worried about him sleeping in another room.

I was also nursing and i found it alot easier to keep him with me, since the little guy liked to nurse alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im a light sleeper and felt safe having him beside me, as i would still wake up at the slightest noise or movement. I dont think co-sleeping is for everyone, and there has been many times when i wanted ben to sleep on his own.

we have tried to get him to sleep by himself be he always ends up in our bed, at the moment we are going though alot of personal trials and having him there is very comforting. It's the best thing in the morning to see his little face, we spend alot of time these days in the morning playing in bed and spending quality time together.

I would have to say that, i think everyone need to do what they feel comfortable with.

Jenn

the first few days my first daughter slept in a drawer next to my bed

When our 2nd GD was born only a day after she came home, the family had to evacuate due to a hurricane warning, so they came to my house and needless to say I was not prepared for a little one. (We had planned to spend the week at their house helping out) So she slept in a cardboard file box. Slept very good in it. But last year (she was 6 then) looking thru pictures, she saw one with her in the box. She ask who it was first, then when she was told that it was her, she said "Why Nana put me in the box? I don't belong in a box!" Bless her heart, she was quite upset.

• 4 months later...

When my daughter was a newborn she slept in her moses basket next to our bed and when she was too big for that she went straight into her own room. I did take light naps holding her in my arms when she was tiny but I too was terrified of crushing in my sleep. I couldn't bear the thought of anything like that (especially with my clumsy ways) so I felt much more at ease knowing that she was in her cot. But then I kept checking on her all the time to make sure she was ok, haha.

I had to work when my youngest was only 6 weeks old - I wanted to continue feeding her (as I had done with her older sisters) so to keep the milk supply coming, to make pumping easier and so that I could spend time hugging her, she slept with us.

When she was older, she would settle down in her own room, then during the night come and get into bed at the side of me.

Lisa R.

i'm with the Scared of Smothering folks. when i take care of infants they fall asleep on my shoulder or lap, and then i put them in the crib or bassinet.

best naps in the world: i've relaxed enough to lie down and nap with a tiny baby a few times. that means that i just barely doze and make sure that the baby does not turn the wrong way (if there's no sleep supporter) or fall off the bed or couch.

my dsd has put her two little ones in their own beds but the kids both wind up with mom and dad at some point or another, as often as not.

I turn over a lot while I'm sleeping so it wouldn't be a good idea for me. When they were very small, my kids slept in a bassinet in our room, as they got a little bigger, they went into the crib in their own room.

Mine went from bassinets in my room for a few weeks to a crib in their room. If they were sick or had a bad dream, I slept in their bed. Both were welcome in my bed after DH went to work. On occasion, the youngest (24) will come over and fall asleep in my arms on the couch.

I grew up with the grownups do grownup stuff in bed and children belong in their own bed philosophy. It was tough to shake.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this thread... interesting. I am not opposed to co-sleeping for very young infants, especially when breastfeeding. It just makes it so much easier for the mother not to have to keep getting up and down... she gets more sleep and the baby doesn't get so upset and have to cry so hard, and then falls asleep again more easily. But I would have the baby in one of those little sleeper things that's like a little bed on top of or next to the mother's bed.

When I had my son, I slept in his room on a twin bed that was pushed up against his crib. I had had a difficult labor and emergency c-section and was in a lot of pain, so this way I could just sit up and get him, without having to get out of bed. He actually slept better by himself... I felt so rejected by my newborn! But that may have been because he was in the NICU and I couldn't bond with him the first couple of weeks. He's certainly mommy's boy now!