Skin Cancer

heidiiiii

I had a second lesion removed two weeks ago and it came back skin cancer. I am not freaked out but more confused. I do not like my dermatologist and I cannot get into the new one until August..so I digress.

The receptionist said it was a common skin cancer and I had to come in within a month ( April 7th). Then I asked her what it was called. She repeated common skin cancer..Duh! Then she warbled off something I did not hear and I just gave up. Part of the reason I want to vacate this place.

I looked up stuff.

There are three. Melanoma..which is bad! And she did not say that one. Basal Cell and Squamous Cell. From what I had and the symptoms..I think it was a squamous cell but I will ask when I go.

Can some of you give me an idea what happens next?

I already had the lesion cut off. It is on my throat. The area is healed but it is still red. What is the next step for treatment? Do I have to go back more that once?

Does this mean that I should assume all the lesions I get in the future will probably be cancerous? I learned that if I get two more cancerous ones..the one by my nose that was pre-cancerous has to be re-evaluated.

Like I said I am okay..I just want to hear from people that have been there.

Thanks!

I had what they call a pre cancerous brown spot on my cheek removed a couple of years ago and a dark brown one on my neck that was just a flat spot also. The dark brown one was the one I went in, and was concerned about. That one was benign and now I have a totally white scar on my neck. The one on my cheek left a white scar also and now I'm also more wrinkled on that side. At my age, no big deal. :hug: Both took longer to heal then I expected and I wouldn't even go out without a giant BandAid. It looked really awful until it healed. If I went in every time I saw a brown spot I'd be in twice a month at my age. Why the heck do they tell you pre cancerous anyway if it's benign. ? It's like calling living pre death. After 20 years of medical transcription I'm jaded to say the least. Find a doctor you like and trust and followup as he/she advises. Other than melanoma, most skin cancers are the least aggressive form of cancer and easily cured with laser or other surgery. Melanoma is the serious one, but even that is curabable if treated early.

The Ex, may he live long and far away, had red hair and of course never used sunscreen. He frequently went to the dermatologist who went over his skin with a special light and zapped/froze any suspicious spots. That was all. He had lots of white spots after a while. I'm due for an overall checkup next month and expect to get the skin exam. Not going to worry until I get there. I have a brown spot over one eyebrow that is unattractive, but I can live with unattractive. If it's not a threat, it stays.

My hubby had a cancerous freckle on his arm, they cut out a huge space around it and he has a scar about 4" long but they wanted to be sure of getting deep to the roots. He was then monitored every 2 months for 2 -3 years after. He has been advised to keep covered up in the sun and sea and to use sunblock. During the checks they found another couple of suspicious lesions on his back and he was admitted for day surgery and they were removed in the same way. So it does seem to be a case of remove what you can and monitor.....

I've had three bouts with the "pre-cancerous" diagnosis and removal. I have white spots left too. Never had any follow up treatments other than checkups.

It's like calling living pre death.

Love this description ....

MD's just don't seem to understand our level of fright at the way they say things. Hope you get some peace of mind soon.

Thank you everybody. My lesion would start looking like a zit or a skin tag. It would shortly become irritated, red, crusty, and start bleeding. Both were never bigger than a pimple. You know you have a problem when they do not heal or get better.

She did well on the sun spot by my nose. You can't even tell. This one on my neck worries me because it is right at my throat. I don't want her digging!

Yeah, she has no bedside manner and I am not the only one that says so. I just keep counting down till August and highly regarded derma.

I had a precancerous mole ("junctional nevus") removed when I was 16. I have lived in FL over half my life and was a sun-worshipper from 'way back, and for a few years I had a spot on my right forearm my ARNP & I had been watching for ten years; and then last year it resolved itself into a patch of hyperkeratosis, which is an OF condition, so I'm not much help; except I do use LOTS of spf 50 sunscreen.

Yes, you definitely need to get another dermatologist. My pet peeve as a nurse was how many physicians don't know how to do patient teaching (which is why a good Nursing school drills it into our heads!).

I'm a redhead and grew up in an era when no one knew anything about sunscreen or protection. I had 2nd degree sunburn over and over when I was a kid. As an adult I used sunscreen and long sleeves, etc, but have had quite a bit of skin cancer in later years. I had the Basal cell, which is rather harmless but it does continue to grow. I've got a 5" scar down my back where one spot was dug out. Lots of pre-cancer spots burned off, 3 cancer spots carved off. Since you've had it once, you should keep up with regular check ups (says the redhead who keeps forgetting to go back!). But definitely get another dermatologist.

My DH recently had a spot of Melanoma removed. Skin cancer should not be ignored.

I have this thing on my scalp that I was freaking out about. It is flat and dark and longish. She told me it was *something* and it was not cancerous and it was no big deal. I have a feeling that it should have been considered but there it sits on my scalp above my left ear.

I am diligent about these because they hurt to the point that I could not ignore them. I was a red head as a child and we went to the beach all the time. If the sun was out in the summer, we were at the beach. I never had a blistered burn in my life but I have had some bad ones. I am thinking about starting to wear hats. Out in the garden but also just out and about. Get different ones for different outfits..hehehe

When DH & I began to paddle and to hike seriously we invested in all sorts of hats that tie and have big, floppy (or even stiff) brims to shade our faces, necks & ears. His family are redheads & blondes and I watch every bump and "spot" like a hawk.

Thank you everybody. I have gotten some really good advice and I know what I am going to ask when I go in (Thank you A. :hug: ). It just confused me about what else could they take besides the lesion...I am glad I am more informed (you would think the office would have sent off something) and I will be proactive in how I want this to proceed.

I will be crying to you with my big ole bandaid in more then a week.. :p

I would also get a new doctor. A good doctor should anser all your questions to your satisfaction. Keep looking till u find a doctor that makes u feel comftorable and safe. I have been thru 5 in two years. Buy I think I have finally found a good one ( fingers crossed ). I remeber my grandmother had large brown spots on her face that were removed and she never had another problem with them. My mother had on her forehead about ten years ago. We did a lot of praying about it. One day it just dried up and feel off. Just remeber keep your faith because Jesus will always take care of u hun. Give him all your worrys to carry for u.