ACK, more scary stuff

MerriMagic

Heya all.

Interesting article on the use of cellphone pics on sites like facebook. This article is worth reading through. I'm thinking we've totally lost our privacy now..and I don't know that it can get much scarier.

Cell phones, hackers, and geolocation

Yes I know, it sounds like I'm yelling "The sky is falling". Well it isn't, yet..but it's definitely coming unglued around the edges.

J

I only have a cell phone because my daughter got me one. She's the only one that calls me on it other than an occcasional wrong number. She got me a newer one for Christmas that takes pictures. I took one of my cats and couldn't even figure out how to make it my "wallpaper". It took me 45 minutes and the user manual to get the right time when we changed to daylight savings. I tried facebook once and got back off it. I guess the only way to stay secure in this world is to not be computer literate and use a land line phone. :wub: I do worry about banking on line but ever since the Post office lost over $900 worth of my monthly payments I do use the on line banking. It is a very scary world.

One of the security companies has begun to advertise that one can arm and monitor their home security system from their "smart" phone. In the early days of cell phones one of the uglier little facts they didn't want us to dwell on was how people with cell phones set to the same frequency could hear one anothers' calls. We had an incident in our bookstore when a police detective friend of ours called on his phone to ask some information for us and a local "reporter" was listening in on his phone, and before the cop got back from his car with the information the reporter had called us in the store to demand the "story" (which he did NOT get). So what is to stop a crook (or worse) from using his "smart" phone to disarm YOUR security system? These are some of the questions that occupy my mind whenever the discussion of cell phones comes up.