"Share This Topic" Feature

Merry

I understand that the forum now has a "Share This Topic" feature which enables one to post a link on their facebook page to our forum.

I have always understood the fact that anyone on the internet can see our posts, pictures, etc. - that's not my concern.

My concern is linking to facebook.

Am I correct in believing that posting a link to our forum on a facebook page connects addresses? Am I correct that facebook has the capability to see our individual IP addresses? I don't think that's too far fetched in believing so.dry.gif

I frankly don't know.

Those of you who are really computer savy, please help me to understand more about this.

Please help with the computer linking facts of a situation like this. :)

Merry, even before the link was available here on the forum, anyone on facebook could link to posts here because it is an open forum. I don't see how facebook could see ip addresses here. They don't have that type of permission here.

Just thinking a little more about this.... The only way a person can post a link on Facebook, that person must have a facebook account. Facebook can access the Facebook Members IP address but not members here who are not Facebook Members :)

Just thinking a little more about this.... The only way a person can post a link on Facebook, that person must have a facebook account. Facebook can access the Facebook Members IP address but not members here who are not Facebook Members :)

I once received an email from facebook (I was not a member). The email included people on facebook that I may know. Some how, some way, facebook's email told me about my daughter-in-law's facebook connection, and three other people I know and email frequently.

My daughter-in-law had not given facebook my email address, and the other people did not as well.

I continued to get emails telling me about people I know. I finally had to contact facebook to tell them to stop it, which they did.

I don't trust facebook to ask for permission about anything. Perhaps that's my proplem, and perhaps I'm right. Perhaps I'm not.

The bottom line for me is that I want no connection to facebook. I have chosen to not be a member of facebook. Yet, anything I may say or post on the forum can be linked to facebook.

It's just a bit cheesy to me. :)

I freaked out the first time I saw one of my posts on a Google search, but that's been going on for years. I believe that any info posted online can be accessed by a savvy enough hacker, but the only FB & other social network invitations I've received have allegedly been from friends & family members, and I have emailed them to request they not invite us, since we aren't interested.

I can't even imagine the firewalls necessary to install here to keep hackers from accessing our emails, etc.

I freaked out the first time I saw one of my posts on a Google search, but that's been going on for years. I believe that any info posted online can be accessed by a savvy enough hacker, but the only FB & other social network invitations I've received have allegedly been from friends & family members, and I have emailed them to request they not invite us, since we aren't interested.

I can't even imagine the firewalls necessary to install here to keep hackers from accessing our emails, etc.

I was invited by a friend on this forum (which was fine). She lives in another state, and didn't know my friends or relatives.

What freaked me out was the facebook email invitation which showed my family and my friends. The friends that invited me knew nothing of them. Nothing. I KNOW that there has to be some phishing of some sort there.

I once received an email from facebook (I was not a member). The email included people on facebook that I may know. Some how, some way, facebook's email told me about my daughter-in-law's facebook connection, and three other people I know and email frequently.

It's possible that these people used the "friend finder" application in FB...meaning that they asked FB to find friends when they joined FB...

They might not have even known they were using the feature...the application basically goes into their email, picks up everyone's emails and finds out if they are on FB or not, and if not, they send out an email asking you to join...(all an automated process)...your friends/family did nothing to give your information out on "purpose" necessarily...

Does that help?

:)

It's possible that these people used the "friend finder" application in FB...meaning that they asked FB to find friends when they joined FB...

They might not have even known they were using the feature...the application basically goes into their email, picks up everyone's emails and finds out if they are on FB or not, and if not, they send out an email asking you to join...(all an automated process)...your friends/family did nothing to give your information out on "purpose" necessarily...

Does that help?

:)

Thank you, Amanda. :flowers: That would certainly explain what happened.

But, of course, that's exactly what I'm trying to convey concerning trust issues with facebook. The fact that they would go into someone's email is an intrusion to say the least.

And, if other sites do the same, it's still an intrusion and still wrong and still a security breach.

Okay, Where is this share this topic button? I cannot see it anywhere? Facebook cannot get you if you are not a member. As for sharing, we share what we say to everyone on the world wide web everytime we post on a website type format like this. Do not worry about it. They only tried to add you because one of your friends allowed FB to check their email for more friends.

As for sharing, we share what we say to everyone on the world wide web everytime we post on a website type format like this.

I don't know, this is more private to me... I had a FB account, (I just closed it)...because I had some definite privacy compromises there, nothing is as private as they make it seem...this is different, people I went to h/s with, family, etc. are not on here...there is a bit more annonimity...

Okay, Where is this share this topic button? I cannot see it anywhere? Facebook cannot get you if you are not a member. As for sharing, we share what we say to everyone on the world wide web everytime we post on a website type format like this. Do not worry about it. They only tried to add you because one of your friends allowed FB to check their email for more friends.

Okay, I will say this one more time so everyone may understand what I'm saying.

First of all, I understand that this forum can be seen by googling at whatever. I'm really more computer savvy than you all must think.

I DO NOT WANT TO BE A PART OF FACEBOOK.

Yet, if someone shares a post of this forum on facebook there is a link....a connection....I'm on facebook whether I want to be or not, and whether I'm a member or not, even though it's through a link.

I cannot say it any plainer than that.

This forum is not going to change because I don't like facebook; I realize that. But, when it comes to facebook, where there's a link there's a connection.

I agree with you Merry 150% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been without computer access for well over a week while mine were all being fixed from a really bad virus.

First one I've EVER had in all the years I've been computing online.

Now you have to know that I'm THE most careful person in the universe about where I go and what sites I visit.

I missed the whole episode of everyone waiting for the forum to change cuz I had no computer.

The whole Facebook and other networking things scare me silly. I would never join one.

This new linking feature IS different than googling something and having it show up in a purposeful search vs. links bright and bold all prepared and dished up for all to see.

I think I'll be posting a lot less now and maybe just stick to lurking.

I just don't know what to do with this new feature. It's just removed yet one more safety barrier.

In fact, I'm considering whether this should be my last post unless I can feel more secure here.

Probably I'm just being silly but that's how it seems to me.

I hadn't noticed that feature until this topic came up. I am sorry that has precipitated the loss of Mary to this forum.

Maybe I am thick headed, but it seems like what we are talking about here is making dollhouses and miniatures.... not too much compromising in these discussions in terms of personal info. I think where ever we post, emails, forums, blogs - it is important to be discreet because basically, any thing you post could be shared, even if just cut and pasted. The internet has many positive applications and wonderful connections like this forum. It also has its pitfalls, one of them being that whatever you put out on the internet can possibly be shared.

As others mentioned, you have to have a Facebook account before you can share the info and no one can make you have a Facebook account if you don't want one.

Personally, the fact that topics can be shared on Faceboook or Twitter is not going to scare me out of this forum. It is a pleasant place to share ideas about building dollhouses and miniatures.

Even on the old forum, I could copy the url for a post, and paste it anywhere, including Facebook. As far as I can tell, the new button just makes that easier, but not any different than if I had done it manually. Unless I'm just missing something. I can certainly understand other's concerns over Facebook, but I'm not sure this is really anything for concern, or rather, any different than before.

Any of us have been sharing GL stuff on FB. There many miniaturists out there. We share with them and they in turn become GL members. This share button is just making it easier than cut and paste like before. I am sorry she left.

I had a FB account, (I took it down for personal reasons, unrelated to this)... and honestly, even if I were to or had linked the posts onto the FB page, I highly doubt my friends would click on it to see what it was all about...:glare:

And if they did, I'm not sure they are getting any information on me that I didn't already approve in my GL profile to be there... :huh:

So maybe if anyone else has any concerns with that feature they could just adjust their profile pages right??? :yes:

I guess what I'm saying is I'm on the same page as Chris... :thumb:

oooo dear :( sorry Mary felt the need to leave...a loss indeed :(

But...as others have said...nothing has changed ...we could manually do that before the upgrade so whats the panic :whistle:

I mentioned that I really liked this new feature in another thread. Anything that makes life a little easier is fine by me. We've always shared information on FB before so I don't see why this has become an issue. Come on back, Mary!

Agreed, it was possible to share manually before by cutting and pasting url's either into facebook, blogs, anywhere really. This button just made it easier for those FB users to do so. As Tracy has already mentioned they do not have permission for IP address collection on this forum, and in actuality if that's what the main concern is -- you can always add additional firewalls to protect your privacy that much more. So many options are there on your computer, whether you allow cookies or not on your computer -- that can be used by any number of sites to "track" their visitors usage of their site. If you were to go to the tools section of your browser toolbar, you can adjust these settings to perhaps feel a bit safer.

Here's to hoping we don't lose Mary or Selkie...

I promise that as paranoid as I am I'd have been gone long since if I'd worried about our posts being shared. That said, we have had issues in the past with people using content from this Forum in violation of the copyrights.

As to leaving, no, you won't lose me as a member. I'm just going to be way more selective of what I post and where and when. The assistance, friendship, knowledge, and tools I've received here are too valuable to think of losing out on. I lurk a lot anyway so I'll just do a little more of that and be a lot more careful of the content of what I post.

I never realized that people were "sharing" this website and info other places. I guess I'm just really naive about these things. I thought that the info here was just for the people who were here, not just something that was for spreading to other places and websites. Gullible aren't I?

So, as some have indicated, the new buttons apparently aren't changing the ability to share the data from here, but it does make it easier, thus, no doubt, making it occur with more frequency and regularity. I guess that would be where the concerns increase matching the increase in occurrence. At least for me.