Hingeing the Doors

Chris P.

I finally got the doors sanded down and am ready to mount them. I want them to be working doors, so I have hinges for them. Do I attach the hinges first to the door frame, and then to the door,

or first to the door, then to the door frame?

Any tips or pointers I should know before proceeding? I am planning to make starting holes with tiny finishing nails before attempting the screws.

Thanks!

I didn't like the appearance of the hinges on the surfaces of the doors and the doorframes; RL doors' hinges are between the edge of the door and the inside of the frame; only you can't use the wee brass "nails"/ brads to mount the wee brass hinges that way, even if you carefully cut away some of the wood to mount the hinges flush tothe surface, since the heads of the brads are rounded and still bind the hinges; so I sandwich strips of chamois between the halves of the door and the rest of the hinge between the wall and the frame trim. Peggi wrote a description of how she pin-hinged the door in her part of the team Coventry Cottage blog. However you decide to mount your hinges, good luck.

Thanks, Holly. I had read about the chamois hinges and I think it is a wonderful solution. But I had ordered these strap hinges; they look perfect for the Aster's rustic doors which include a Dutch door.

Now I am wondering of I can use the chamois hinge idea, and simply glue these on so they look great on the outside, but aren't bearing the stress of opening and closing the doors. What do you think, is it possible to combine the chamois idea with the hinge?

I'll check out Peggy's blog, too.

I am very excited to be getting to the point of being able to attach the doors and pleased with how my first little house is turning out.

Your strap hinges ought to work very nicely! I was totally traumatized by those weensy brass hinges and used mini choice *magic* words in my dealings with them. For tthe strap hinges you might want a bit of superglue under the hinge to help bond it to the surfaces and then go with your nails. If you anticipate a lot of opening & closing of the door, as with a child, yes, I'd reinforce it with a more durable hinging method.

i have used brass hinges in the doorpost, attached with glue and tiny brass screws.

had to cut away a little from the door and the doorpost to make it fit,

but it looks realistic.

and it was fairly easy.

I have used brass hinges with those itsy-bitsy nails. You definitely want a small dab of Superglue to help hold the hinge. Using those hinges alone (without Holly's cloth strip) do not make a door that can be open and closed many times by children, unfortunately.

The strap hinges are very nice and much easier to attach then the "butt" or whatever they are called, brass hinges. Put glue under the strap hinges also.

Have fun, attaching hinges is a good way to see how far your sanity stretches!:laughbounce:

B)