Westville

KathieB

I'm not even finished with my first house, the Orchid, and already I'm looking forward to the next one. Saw the Westville on eBay and couldn't resist -- love the bay window and the cozy porch and the attic. I love cluttered dollhouse attics!

I've read through all of the posts from the Westville Team Build 2005 and am really jazzed to get started. Good thing it will take some time to get here, or the Orchid might languish!

Well you have the bug! :) I had to make a rule that I had to finish one house before I started another one because I was starting a collection of unfinished projects. Don't get me wrong I still have unfinished projects but this helps me not get any more.

I had to make a rule that I had to finish one house before I started another one

I have that rule also...but I seem to always be breaking it! :)

nutti :D

btw the Westville is a very nice house....decorate the long attic before putting roof on....and the window in that alcove. its a bugger to get to after its together!

Hahahahaha..Rules, there are no stinking rules, we make our own rules!!

I have my HUD house upstairs in my bedroom. She is sulking. She says I used to wine and dine her and now she is left up there in the hole all alone. I think she is contemplating jumping out the bedroom window if I dont give her any attention.

The MHM is very very angry. She screams at me every morning. HEY YOU! You finished 2 rooms and then you act like I dont exist. Didnt we have fun? Dont you love me anymore?

The Orchid is in heaven. She is thrilled to be getting so much attention. She thinks this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Little does she know, I have my own ideas. She will get finished. But I have been thinking about a Tennyson!

I am such a dh tease!

I have that rule also...but I seem to always be breaking it! :)

nutti :D

btw the Westville is a very nice house....decorate the long attic before putting roof on....and the window in that alcove. its a bugger to get to after its together!

Well ... I have another Orchid sitting here in the box. It was a gift to a friend last Christmas. Our plan was to build them together. However, she has 6 kids ages 9-19 and works three jobs. She doesn't have any time. So I'm thinking I'll build it for her and give it to her for Christmas -- again! She can have the fun of filling it.

THEN I'll start the Westville.

That's my story ... let's see if I stick to it! :D

• 1 month later...

Kathie have you started your Westville? I have just uploaded more pictures. I will blog it all here after I am complete (So I can put in more details). I use my webshots albums to communicate with my customers so they can see what I have done :lol: .

I really like this house a lot. So far I have not had any major problems though I can say I hate how the bay windows need so much wood fill (Or spackle, which is what I always use :o ) To see the new pictures, click here:

2088168690037881673acWyOI_th.jpg

Tracy, it's coming along very nicely! I love the wallpapers you used.

I've been dreaming of a Westville for a couple of months now, but I promised the Willowcrest I'd build her first. She won't know if I sneak it in and hide in another room will she? :lol:

Kathie have you started your Westville? I have just uploaded more pictures. I will blog it all here after I am complete (So I can put in more details). I use my webshots albums to communicate with my customers so they can see what I have done :lol: .

Hi Tracy ... No, haven't started it yet, but I have been surfing the net for American/Carpent Gothic inspiration. Have decided the colors won't be the white siding/green trim of the ubiquitous prairie farmhouse that I thought it might be ... there are so many warm colors, like a nice autumn gold with cinnamon trim, maybe. And I"m not sure I'm going to put the siding on it; I like the look of board-and-batten wall finish, which is also true to the CG style.

I'm also thinking of adding a wall on the second floor, right .. making a stairway hall, really, and a smaller room on the right to be a bath. Am thinking the double window in that room might end up with one pane in the hall and the other in the bathroom. But I guess this decision will have to wait until the staging!

I hope to have Mollie's Orchid finished tomorrow ... and then I need to straighten up the workspace. Lloyd has been trying to install a couple of shelves for me, but I have stuff in the way! Then comes the NAME show next weekend and a few days to decompress (and post a bajillion pictures here!)

And THEN comes the Westville!

I really like the way yours is coming together. It looks as if there is easy access to all parts with the roof off.

Is that copper foil on the porch roof? It looks shiny, but I can't tell.

Kathie, that must be a glare :lol: there is no copper on this house :o . The owner wants this house to be white. Her mothers house is white and this is a gift for her mom. Her Mom was brought up during the Depression and she always wanted a dollhouse.

I feel so honored to be the one to build it for her...She will be 80 years old in a couple of weeks and what a blessing that is. Her daughter is so special to do this for her mom and of course, it's a surprise. I just hope it turns out to be all she wanted. I am going to add a fireplace and window seats where the bays are.

Teresa & Kathie, you'll love this house. It's really a cute one. I also can picture this house with warm colors Kathie.

Peggy, If I use the corner trim from the kit (Which is two strips of wood) I do it first. But, I used the houseworks corner trim and it finishes it of nicely especially after its painted. You can do it either way though. I normally add the windows last but for this one, the trim parts where the same thickness as the walls (The indoor trim is not though) so that is why I added it first for a change :p

:lol: What a special house for a special lady!

I was leaning toward a white house furnished rather poorly as a 1930's Depression Era house ... until I saw how elegant it really is with all of the detailing. Now I'm thinking it deserves tenants who can afford to dress up its elegance in a casual way. (Formality can wait for the Pierce!)

You could call it Westvillage.

I worked on my niece's Westville when I there two weeks ago. You should have seen her face when she saw the roof was on it. She'd been playing with the unfinished house (no third floor, no roof, no bays).

Oh Cat how sweet of you! My mother built me a wood house when I was a kid and she never finished it either. No stairs, windows, doors or porch. She only put up the walls and the roof.

I begged her to give me the box cause I wanted to finish it and she told me it was too hard for me :lol:. I laugh at that now because I LOVED that dollhuose as a kid :o Me and my Younger brother played with it for hours with our little people, action figures and anyone else tall enough to fit inside :p

You could call it Westvillage.

And as with any vibrant village, there would always be a new house under construction ... :o

::wondering how to break this to hubby:: ... :lol:

The Westvillage is a new subdivision so you can continue to "add" more houses to it as new families move in :o I LOVE the idea but to do this in 1" scale means things are gonna get tight :p

Well ... the kids don't really need a TV/playroom ... I could commandeer their part of the basement ... :lol:

I could commandeer their part of the basement ... :p

:lol: Sounds good! After all -- how much room should they take up anyway? Say are you going to have restrictive covenants in this subdivision -- like adults only? :o

Adults only :lol: now that is a new idea for sure!! I like the idea of taking the basement away from the kids. Hubby keeps looking at my room saying he should have taken my part of the basement for his theater room (Which by the way may NEVER be there cause we are not gonna finish the basement till we move in :p )

Yeap, I picked my work area out first and told him he gets to have the study. I may have a tiny town yet :o

I am finished!!! Yeppie! The house went to the pack N Mail place and my customer should have her house by Thursday!!

You can see the newest pictures by clicking here:

2088168690037881673acWyOI_th.jpg

My son has my Camera so I did not download the final shots (I thought I did but I did not :D ) I'll add those over the weekend. This was a fun house and I can't beleive I finished ALL of it in 12 Days! Hubby told me I can not do that again (He got sick of eating take out Pizza :) )

Yeppie!!! I add everything to the blog area here this weekend!

Tracy, the house is beautiful! I had to laugh at your comment about the porch ... after taking the wicker rocking chair workshop at the conference today, my immediate thought was: wow -- this porch is crying for a rocking chair!

I knew you would get it done! and I knew it would look wonderful!

I think she will be most pleased!

LOVE those dolls! omg I love them.

to me those dolls are just about perfect when it comes to dollhouse dolls!

nutti :)