Would you buy?

raspberry

So I came across, (what I believe to be) a good deal on an item that I know my 2yearold would love...it's in excellent used condition and is priced fairly under what it is worth...would you buy it and give it as a gift to 2yearold? The first problem is that it's used...but I suppose at that age it's not worth buying brand new anyways...and I'm saving close to $200 (if not more) buying it used...but it's also about 3 years old...it's not a saftey concern by any means...but is it rotten of me to give her something used and "pass it off" as a gift?

I don't think that even a spoiled rotten mega rich 2 year old would be able to distinguish between a new toy and a used toy. They still like to play in cardboard boxes for pity's sake!

They still do that- don't they? best plaything on the street used to be an empty refrigerator box. banana.gif

( What is it? LOL)

It's one of those Fisher-Price Loving Family Dollhouses... (of all things!!!)...

I found one, (though I do not know the seller personally) near me and while it's the "older" house, (if you know the FP Loving Family, it's the "Twin Time" vs. the "Grand Mansion")...and it comes with EVERYTHING...car/people/furniture/accessories all in perfect condition...(the lady sent me a bunch of pictures)...VERY well cared for...I suppose if the house bothered my 2yrold that much, (with what I'd be paying for everything) I could certainly afford the newer house (and put the used accessories in!!!)...

To buy this newer "Grand Mansion", with everything (I've priced it down to where I can find sales!!!) it would be $280...(not including shipping/trekking to go get it)...the seller has it for less than $100 for everything... :shifty:

Oh, for pity sakes, when I was a child my grandmother used to glean the dumpsters behind the 5&Dime for scrapped toys she'd bring home for me to play with (after she washed them off). Get her the house!

A two year old isn't going to care that the house is "last years model", for heavens sake! Sounds like a really good bargain! Go for it! As she grows older, you can keep instilling in her those good values -- that "newest model" isn't always necessary, "last years" is as good, "don't have to keep up with the Jones'"..

and besides, thrift shops and garage sales often have real treasures!

Yep, what they said!! You found a bargain and teaching thrifty living. I couldn't tell you how many times I've reworked an item with me having 5 kids. I am thinking of a beautiful wood silverware box I refinished for a teen aged daughter for her hopechest. I was cutting coupons from box tops working on the cutlery set so I included a few of those. The box was $2 at a yard sale and I put many loving hours in refinishing. She loved it I will add.

So many of the accessories are for adults I know you will be careful in what you include.

Best wishes,

LindaC

Buy it. There is no rule that says gifts have to be brand new in the box! I have shopped thrift stores, garage sales and flea markets all my life and have found many nice itesm, some just needed cleaning , others more intensive work. You are teaching your daughter thrifty living. she'll thank you for it when she is older.

GO FOR IT!!! My mom bought that house for my daughter and hasn't put it up yet (15months) and my mother-in-law has the same one at her house and of all the kids my son loves playing with it. He'll be 4 on the 24th. If you give it to her set up she'll never know it wasn't new anyways. You could set it up and buy one of those giant gift bags from the dollar tree, turn it upside down and place a big bow on top if you want her to have something to "open". All of my nieces and nephews love this house. Great deal.