What NOT to do - lessons learned the hard way

aainaa

I want to start a discussion for frustrated users where we share what *didn't* work. Often lessons learned the hard way can be MOST instructive and helpful! I hope experienced Greenleaf enthusiasts will share their most painful learning moments in an effort to make assembling and finishing GL kits a fun and rewarding experience. I have seen such stories around the forums, but would like to create a centralized location for them all.

Make your negative experiences a positive by sharing them, and describing how to avoid similar situations in the future!

TMTC! (too many to count, as we learned in microbiology class when culturing bacterial colonies...) Basically, along with measure at least twice before cutting once I would add always do the dry fit, each and every time; and the reasons for this ought to be sufficiently obvious; wood swells, paint/ primer/ stain sealer adds thickness and causes the wood fibers to swell... Also, it is always worthwhile to carefully take apart anything you think

TMTC! (too many to count, as we learned in microbiology class when culturing bacterial colonies...) Basically, along with measure at least twice before cutting once I would add always do the dry fit, each and every time; and the reasons for this ought to be sufficiently obvious; wood swells, paint/ primer/ stain sealer adds thickness and causes the wood fibers to swell... Also, it is always worthwhile to carefully take apart anything you think should be done over.

Do complete dry fits so you know what every piece is for, I'm guilty of doing a half assed dry fit and then thinking "yeah I know what i'm doing" only to be shown painfully wrong a few days later.

Wallpaper as soon as possible.

write a checklist so you don't forget to do something to your wall before you install it and then have to work around a staircase, a fireplace, rafters, another wall...

1.)Plan electrical in advance!!! I thought it would be easy to run tapewire as you go. You know, finish two rooms, decorate the first, add tapewire to the next, finish the second and just slowly build your way up. Yeah, I know, what crazy person would think this would work...well ...me. I ended up cutting up my ceilings to run round wire because I could not for the life of me get the tapewire to work correctly once I got to the 3rd floor, even though I checked connections at every addition.

:doh:

2.) NEVER EVER EVER Use hot glue to put your build together! I didn't know about this wonderful forum and foolishly followed those instructions. Too much to go into but that Beacon Hill was given away. Yes that was another thing I learned later, I could have hit the dang thing with a heat gun or even a hair dryer and started from scratch, but no, I GAVE it away (insert hysterical sobbing here)

3.) Trim can hide a number of flaws and make your work look wonderful and perfect even though underneath is a frightful sight.

...3.) Trim can hide a number of flaws and make your work look wonderful and perfect even though underneath is a frightful sight.
carefmustitude of imperfections.ul and judicious application of spackling compound can hide a

Never cut ANYTHING with a dull blade. That is how really bad injuries occur..... :p
Truly believe this one! I use a Stanley box-cutter type utility knife with a retractable blade. New, sharp blades are CHEAP and being able to retract the blade back into the handle prevents a lot of nasty, painful accidents.

Ah, that's why I quit punching pieces out and bagging them up; now I leave them in the wood sheets and put the sheets into numerical order, so I can quickly find whatever I'm looking for as I build. This is the purpose of reading the instructions at least three times (not that you necessarily follow them...)

Don't be impatient to glue everything together because you will glue too soon and have to figure out how to take it all apart without destroying it so you can put it together RIGHT.

How right you are! I tell myself this over and over and over. I've been working on the Pierce for several weeks. The only part glued is the base. Wall parts are all over the place in various stages of decoration, but there are still many things I want to do before I open the glue bottle. Of course, with all of this prep work, once I start gluing, it will take shape overnight. As soon as . . .

Work at your own pace! Do not get rushed because you "think" you should be moving along at a faster pace. Also listen to yourself and work when you want to, not when you think you "need" to. (I get tired of hearing from friends and family, "When will you be finished with that?")

If you are tired, walk away! I have made more mistakes from being tired, or thinking, "If I can only finish this one area, I will be done for the day/night".

:doh:

I will then be kicking myself the next day for having to redo what I just did!

Matt

Matt, that is so TRUE!! I agree! Working at your own pace is essential to creating the dollhouse of YOUR Dream! Some things I am fast at doing. Other things take me forever but just stay consistent! In the end, it will all work out fine. Slow and steady wins the race. Go by your own pace of what slow is and take your time cause it is supposed to be enjoyable.

Dont use the "eyeball" level. It's never right. Invest in a small level and use it when installing your floors :)

And of course you've made sure the workbench or table is level to begin with! :thumb:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was building the alexandria and now I can't finish the kitchen or the hallway in back of it because i glued it together with freakin wood glue before it was decorated!!! Never do that =( Dry fit it. If you can't get to it to decorate it, take it apart and do it first.= (

Never run round wire under roof shingles without a ditch........it WILL show and you have waves in your roof. Ithought, oh that tiny wire and those heavy shingles.......it will be ok and it WASN'T! and as has already been said.........be sure to make sure you know where all your hard to get nooks and cranny's are at and wallpaper , paint etc there as much as can be.

I had to do the Garfield 2nd floor stairwell AFTER it was put together......what a difficult thing it was! :unsure: Well I didn't have to but I had this wild idea :banana: that I would like my wallcoverings to go continously around the room whether than have to ad trim and of course I was wrong. The Garfield kit at least the one I had, had you build the entire house FIRST. I don't remember ever seeing them to say to do anything first unless I totally missed it. But it's done...........at least the third floor is going easy because I am doing it before putting the roof on.

If you use wonder under to put fabric on card stock for wallpaper NEVER iron the fusible web to the card stock first , it won't peel off. You MUST iron onto the fabric first then peel the paper off then iron onto the card stock. works well that way. I ruined a couple pieces before discovering this !

Cheryl

• 1 month later...

This is a repeat, but never hurts for emphasis ... paint/paper everything you can in advance of assembly. It's a lot harder to do after the pieces are put together!

Actually, I'm so messy with glue, this would be a bad idea for me! :) The one time I did that I had glue all over all my paper and everything. I much prefer to do it once assembled if possible. I am also very picky about pattern matching, and that is harder to do wall by wall (although I have done it), and I prefer smoothness around the corners.

But just whatever works for you is the best way! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Do not add a foundation to your house until you check to see how the bottom of the kit is constructed. I had a 1/2" discrepancy that followed me right up to the third floor. All doors and windows had to be trimmed out at the bottom and the piece added to the top, and the third floor now has a 1/2" trimmed out "thing" on all sides at floor level. *rolling eyes*