Anyone Who Built The Garfield

Mary11

You definitely want to do the floors and at least some of the papering BEFORE putting it together. Otherwise there will be many areas that will be inaccessible to you (and 6 inch workers are very hard to find! :) )

For example..the walls leading from the back door into the kitchen; the second and third floor around the staircase, the room on the second floor in the middle...to name a few. :)

And the flooring..I can't imagine waiting until after it's finished to do the floors!:o Just getting in there to arrange furniture has been a challenge! All the floors in my Garfield are "hardwood" -- I simply took the flooring pieces that are the structure of the house, sanded them a lot, drew lines on them with a hard pencil and ruler to resemble hardwood flooring, then stained and varnished.

Another area that you'll definitely want to finish before you assemble it, is the tower. I didn't...and now don't quite know how I'm going to get in there to do something with the walls!

I took a long time to just think through what the interior was going to look like, when I realized how challenging it was going to be to try to do it after assembly.

As I was looking at the instructions I noticed there were a few hard to reach spots. I've never papered as I assembled before. Is it difficult? Am I worrying unneccesarily. The hard part too is figuring out what I want to do with the rooms as far as what the rooms will be :unsure:

I've never papered as I assembled before. Is it difficult? Am I worrying unneccesarily.

The hard part too is figuring out what I want to do with the rooms as far as what the rooms will be :unsure:

Nope...I'm a fan of this method personally...I'd rather wallpaper first, (if you are lighting though, you will need to do this differently however)...

This is the main reason I do usually more than 1 dry fit...figuring out everything, where it goes, what it is...etc. That too and dry fitting will make your assembly (when it's time) better, because you know things like "wall A goes here and that has a tight corner), etc.

Just use white glue for assembling because the wood glue will turn your wallpaper yellow...

Check out this website...this should be able to help you fill in some gaps...I would read through the entire process first, (before you do anything more)...she is very thorough and will be able to help you out a lot.

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2009/03/garfield-day-1.html

As I was looking at the instructions I noticed there were a few hard to reach spots. I've never papered as I assembled before. Is it difficult? Am I worrying unneccesarily. The hard part too is figuring out what I want to do with the rooms as far as what the rooms will be :unsure:

No, it's not difficult. As somebody already said, you want to dry-fit things together first so you can see exactly how the walls come together. And you'll find that the underside of the roof becomes the ceilings and partial walls for the third floor Once you have all the interior walls primed, then you can finish as you please, and start putting the rooms together. As for what room is what ... that could be a challenge! :) There are so many to choose from! I've changed around a couple in the years since I first built mine.

I do an initial dry fit of the whole shell of the house and let it tell me its story, and we discuss ideas and find out what it wants. I then take off all the masking tape and prep and finish the floors and ceilings, mask off for all the trims & anything I want to glue wood to wood. Then as I actually assemblle the house with glue I continue to dry fit as I decorate.

This Garfield is the first dollhouse I've done. Since I am using tape wire for lighting fixtures, I've wallpapered all the interior walls, leaving flaps where the wires will go once the walls go up. Before doing any of this, however... after the foundation was built, I wired the first floor and drew a diagram of where I wanted the wiring to go throughout the rest of the house. That made it lots easier to figure out where to leave flaps with the wallpaper. I can't even imagine trying to wallpaper after assembling the house -- I think it would be next to impossible!