Out of commission for a while

M-J

Ok, don't anybody laugh too hard....beware, walls are painfull!!

I sit here with a my right leg up on my desk as I type almost between my legs.

I was building my Garfield yesterday and dropped a wall panel on my left foot. (DUH!!) It landed straight up and down on the nail bed of my big toe. My toe started to bleed, so I asked my 10 year old daughter who was with me to get a cloth for the blood, expecting that it would be a gusher (which it wasn’t). Now, I said that my right foot is on the desk, right?

Well, I started to feel like I was going to pass out, (from the pain??) so I tried to get to my bed, (instead of just lying on the floor) but didn’t make it. I passed out in the doorway of my bedroom and hit my head on the footboard and broke my right foot on the way down. (2 breaks). My driving foot is in a cast (knee to toe) for about 6 weeks. (actually I have a temporary semi-cast till the swelling goes down, then I go back on the 6th for a real cast. Steph wants me to get a blue one. My cast is about 10 lbs. (I weighed it on our bathroom scale) but I hope that the real cast will be lighter. It’s more like a bandage, but it does have some real cast in it. My thigh muscle is killing me, just lifting my leg up, not to mention my hands from crutches….My toe doesn’t really hurt anymore unless I touch it. Really bad bruise. They x-rayed both feet. I feel so useless. Of course, I don’t have a bathroom on the main floor, so if I want to lye on the couch in the living room, I have to either go up or down. Stairs are fun. I go on my butt. We have a TV in my bedroom, but just with a DVD player. Boring… I don’t know how I’m going to climb the 2 steps to the office. I can’t stand or walk on my cast.

So, I'm not going to be building for a while, but I can paint...

:)

OUCH!!! Oh you poooor baby!!! :( I will never ever complain about splinters again!!! Geez, who would have thought a mini could cause such HUGE damage :) Thank goodness your daughter was there -- hopefully she wasn't too scared by all your calamaties hapenning at once. Be brave, keep your foot up, get some Godiva and wallow in all the attention you're about to get :)

Ya gotta watch those Garfields!!! I about killed myself just getting the kit down to the basement where I work on it. It weighed at least a ton! And dropping one of those boards on a toe has to be very painful! (Maybe you should consider working with steel-toed boots from now on!!! Seriously, I hope you heal quickly and that you can carry on with normal life...having a cast and not being able to walk is NOT fun! We'll all be pulling for you!

Oh you poor thing. You need to talk very sweetly to this house, before it causes more harm. Seriously, I hope you have good pain pills and heal very quickly.

Double OUCHIE!! I am so sorry to hear about your killer Garfield. I have a problem with the Catebury kit every time I build it. There is a part that don't fit just right and all three times I have built this house I cut in such a way that I almost cut my index finger off at the tip. I have not built that house in 2 years because everytime I get in that "Zone" I forget to NOT do that.

I hope you heal Super fast and I hope that 10 year old sweetie is helping you stay comfortable :)

:):):( :lol: Oh so sorry to be laughing. It just sounds so much like something I would do.

I will watch those Garfield walls when I get back to working on it and, will make sure to wear steel toed shoes. :p

Look at those walls now. I can just tell they are scheming on how to get me because it has been neglected for so long.

I really do hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Mary-Jane you take it easy and rest up. I am sorry that you got hurt. Do you have a breakfast tray and any furniture kits? ( They are pretty harmless, I have yet to get hurt when I am working with one) You could build while elevating your leg.

I think we all need to lock up our tools. First furniture, now dollhouses. What's next?

You could do a movie, just in time for Halloween: "Attack of the Killer Garfield!!!!" :)

Yes, those sheets are way heavy. They can do damage all by themselves, and then your fall, complicating the situation! I hope you heal uneventfully, and soon.

MJ -

You poor dear. You're not related to the three Baudelaire children (Lemony Snickett) are you. I mean this is really a series of unfortunate events. When I read your post I had to laugh, not at your misfortune you understand, but at the whole story.

I do hope that you're not going to have to be encumbered with that heavy cast for too long.

-Susanne

Maybe the house really hates what you are planning for it and wants to be a Haunted house

with a torture chamber.

I hope you feel better soon.

sounds like if you neglect that house any more it will get back at you! :)

speedy recovery

nutti :)

WOW! I hope you feel better soon! I would say, live it up because I am sure your family will shower you with lots of attention! :D

I just had to chuckle though, because this does sound like exactly something I would do, too. My friends have started calling it, "The Misadventures of Brenda" because I have become notorious for doing things like this to myself or having some sort of misadventure.

Thanks for the warning, though. I will be sure to be careful not to drop a wall on my toe. (Actually, my boyfriend has started calling me "Stubby" because I stub my toes at least 2 to 3 times a day.)

Is there such a thing as a "worker's comp" for miniaturists???? :D

Good luck Mary-Jane and speedy recovery!

Thank you all for your sympathy...Steph is being wonderful, so is my hubbie, though I feel absolutely useless. I actually started working on the killer house again, second coat on the ceilings. :blink: The reason that I was mock assembling it was to get a floorplan to start pre-decorating, so I've taken all the walls down again. (safer) So more painting is a little tamer. Building the furniture sounds like a good idea, too, though I may set the bed on fire with my glue gun... :D

Take care, all. I don't get downstairs to the computer too often....

• 1 month later...

I just read about you misadventure and hope you are all better now.

My late husband was a diesel mechanic. He would go for months without a mishap at work, then for a time, he would come home with nicks, cuts, bruises and what not. When I commented on them, he would just smile and say "I'm paying my dues". After about a week of scrapes, he'd go back to not having any.

It seems that no matter what project we engage in, we must all "pay our dues". Of course, you should be paid up for several years.

Stay well.

:) Gee that sounds awful :p I hope that does not happen to me with mine. Thanks for the heads up :dry:

Get well and be careful :whistle:

You could write a horror story while you are laid up. Would be different. Take care

Thank you, Gayle. Bless your husband and rest his soul.

I'm going back this Wed. to hopefully have the cast taken off. Can't wait to be able to drive again. Ventured out to our local Flea Market today, lots of walking. The cast forces my knee to lock with every step, so it can get pretty painful to walk distances.

:dry:

The new cast should be lighter, if needs be pay the extra for a firberglass cast (most places don't use the POP anymore anyway) they're really light, and none of the problems with POP, like it falling apart if it takes any kind of hit, melting if it gets wet. That sort of thing.

So sorry to hear about your adventure with your Garfield and

hope you're up and about soon.

Take the time and relax. Profit with a little bedside tray project

and you won't be feeling so blue. Maybe folding up some printies?

Praying you'll get better soon