A SICK KITTY

SallyG

My 15 year old grey striped old guy is not doing well. He's been on thyroid medicine for about 3 years now, and generally eats well, especially his breakfast and supper can of Fancy Feast, preferably turkey or chicken. Turkey is his favorite. However, within the past week or so, he has been finishing only about 1/2 his meal. This past weekend he was not eating more than a few bites and very lethargic. Today he had blood drawn and the vet will call me tomorrow with the results, but she suspects his kidneys may be failing.

We have had him since he was a day or so old, when a litter of 4 was abandoned by their mother after birth on the roof of a restaurant my husband was cheffing at. He was fed with a tiny bottle and my husband's face was the first thing he saw when his eyes opened. The other 3 were adopted by staff, and my husband brought this one home to raise. He's always lived a life of ease and comfort...and constant attention!

If we have to put him down, we know that we gave him the best life a cat could have! We are sad at the thought of losing him. Maybe we will get lucky and he's just suffering from a case of Kitty Flu. But, we are preparing ourselves. There is always the chance that he could bounce back!

Well, unfortunately, Kitty's kidneys are failing. The vet said we could try some heroic measures, but he's basically terminal. So, Friday we are going to have him put to sleep. I am going to be there to hold his paw. My poor husband just can't do it....he starts crying everytime he thinks of it. He's lived a long and happy kitty life...we know we gave him the best of everything since the day he was born. It will be sad, but we have to do what's best for him.

When we had to let The Beautiful Melody go to the Rainbow Bridge the vet put a folded blanket on the floor and I sat on it with her in my arms while he put in the hep lock and pushed the anesthesia that slowed everything down to a stop; she just went peacefully to sleep and I cried for two days afterwards.

Oh Sally, I'm so sorry. I just went thru the same thing with my darling Napoleon and held him in my arms as he slipped into his final sleep. He was 16 and a feral farm rescue kitty. It was just as hard on Bruce as it was for me and altho he broke down when the vet said that Napoleon was gone, he wouldn't have traded the moment of being there with him for anything. I have to say that it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do but I couldn't stand to see him suffer. It's been just under two weeks and I'm still adapting to him not being here with me every day. It takes time to heal from this kind of grief. But you gave Kitty the best possible life a feline could hope for and the precious memories are priceless. The best gift you can give to him at this stage in his life is a peaceful and dignified release from pain. I'll be thinking of you on Friday as well as sending silent messages to Napoleon, asking him to be there to meet Kitty when he crosses the bridge.

<gentle hugs to you and your husband>

Deb

((( Sally and hubby ))) So very sorry. Will be praying for you both for comfort.

I have several birds waiting for your kitty. In That perfect place they will have a blessed time. Amazing thought, huh? I love that I believe that.

Our cat Snoopy lived with kidney failure for 5 years. Granted, he was only 11 when he got it, but he lived fine. It's a controlled Rx diet that reduces the work load of the kidneys. Vet will probably want to give him a steriod shot to get things eating better. All is not lost with kidney failure!

Let your cat decide what's best. They always tell you when they're done if you listen.

Sally, My deepest sympathy. it is such a hard decision to have to make for our fur kids and I have had to make it several times over the years. Let the happier memories be the ones you remember and know you gave your baby a good life and he will be waiting at the bridge.

I'm so sorry for your kitty, Sally. He has been most fortunate in his adoptive family - you can be sure that he feels the love, and knows that you will do what's right for him.

David, my thoughts are with you as you face the final, loving act. Having had to make that decision for several furbabies over the years, my sympathies are heartfelt.

My thoughts are with you... like others here, I've been in your shoes... it's hard to part with our little furbabies, they are so special, but I hope that it is only a temporary separation. They live on in our hearts until then.

Sally I'm so sorry to read this, holding back the tears for you as I write. Your Kitty has had a wonderful life and believe me, he knows how lucky he is. Our Phoebe will be there to greet him when his time comes, as well as many other kitty-kat friends.

Gentle hugs to you

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who wrote. Kitty went peacefully on November 4th. He was very weak and failing, but he managed to give the vet a small shake of his tail..as sick as he was, he still remembered he hated the vet! He was cremated and now resides in a nice carved teak box. Being in an apartment, we don't have a place to bury him, but it seems right to keep him inside...he was an inside cat and never ventured outside (except on a leash when it snowed!)

Each day gets a bit easier...still miss having him hiding in the kitchen to ambush me in the morning with loud meow's for his breakfast, or coming home from work to find him sitting by the front door, in a huff, because I was late getting home and his dinner was late!! He wasn't just a cat, he was a little person!!!

Eventually, we will get a new furry baby, but we need to feel ready first. I'm sure when the time is right, one will present itself to us!

Again, thank you for your support and sympathy. I know my little furball is in a better place, and he's back to his strong, healthy self!!