Beacon Hill

minis4me

Hi, I am new to the the forum and still learning how to get around so please bear with me.

For anyone that has built or is building the Beacon Hill I have a couple of questions. Where exactly do those little "L"s go ? I have tried them everywhere and as best as I can tell, they go on the outside of the right and left walls of the windows, up top, against the little footing of the window. Is that right ? Also, did you have to trim any of the curved roofing material to fit, whas it too long/wide ? The roofing material is supposed to sit on the top of the side pieces and curve against the top of the window, right? The directions, to me, aren't very clear on this. Any help any one can give me would sure be appreciated.

Thanks, rbytsdy !!! I worked all weekend sanding, painting, etc. to get the dormer roofs in but left those little "L"s until hopefully, I could hear back from someone on the forum. I can't believe how close I am to finishing. I am finding that I do have some gaps in putting on the trim in the dormers. I think that is because I wallpapered and put a beadboard up before starting the windows. Should I just fill it in with spackle ? Also, my vertical roof trim looks as if it didn't stay together and gapped. I am debating about whether to try and take it off or fill it in with spackle. Any suggestions ?

Hi Kim, I should have bought stock in spackle before I built the BH because that house was probably half spackle by the time I finished... :p But seriously, I used it to fill in just about any and all gaps that I encountered. How big are the gaps that you have?

Again, thanks for responding. I haven't been on for a few days as you can see. I know what you mean about the spackle. I have been using wood filler. Not sure what the difference is between the two but i have used it a lot. It has helped smooth out those "rough edges" and fill in places that needed filling in. I think I can use that on my dormer windows and it will fill in the gaps on them but I am still not sure what to do about the vertical roof trim. They look kind of wompy. I tried filling one in with wood filler but I am not real happy with the looks of it. Would spackle be better ? The gaps, or, where the edges don't meet are probably about an 1/8 -1/4."

Edited by minis4me

Hi Kim, I used to use wood filler but once I discovered spackle, thanks to havanaholly, I rarely use wood filler now; I find that spackle is alot less coarse and much easier to sand smooth.

I had troubles with my vertical roof trim as well-- my blog entry about that is here-- alot of spackle and sanding and paint! "Wompy" probably describes mine pretty well... :p I just spackled and sanded and painted until it looked less objectionable...

Thanks so much !! I think I might stop by the store and see about some spackle. I will be working on the Beacon some more this weekend. I would like to get the outside finished so I can work some more on the inside. Already have wallpaper and lighting in most rooms. Another problem I am having is with the crown molding. I love the way it looks but I guess I must have a mental block about it or something. I have all the tools I need ( I think) but my cuts just never come out right. I won't give up, I won't give up ........