a return to miniatures after 20 years

More than 20 years ago, my mother and I became interested in miniature dollhouses. She built a few houses from kits and we frequently went together to miniature shops and to conventions. It was a shared interest that we had a lot of fun with.

In the rashness of youth, I decided to design and build my own house from scratch. Always ambitious, the house was quite large: 41 long, 37 high, 17 deep. I spent a lot of time building it and then installing asphalt shingles, siding, buying windows and doors, ordering custom made (and very expensive) curved archways and fireplaces from a man in CA. I can't remember his name, was wondering if anyone else knew of him? I also made a lot of furniture from House of Miniature kits. I am surprised at how good these still look.

Then I graduated from college, got a job, and moved to a small condo. The house sat in her basement for the next 20+ years. It was just too big to take with me and I found other interests.

Very sadly, my dear mother passed away last week. When I thought about what I needed from her house, the dollhouse came to mind first. I went yesterday with a strong friend and a pickup truck and brought it home with me. It very much overwhelms my bedroom, as I am still in a small condo. But I am glad to have it and all of the good memories it carries.

So, I will probably be needing a lot of guidance in trying to finish it finally.

I am very sorry for the sad circumstances that have brought me here, but I am glad to have my house again.

Thank you all.

Christine

post-12106-0-66331500-1320595703_thumb.j

Hi Christine, and welcome to the group.

Your house is very handsome, and I am sure that you will enjoy getting involved in it again.

I am sorry for your loss. I hope that this will be a good way to keep your mother's memory close to you.

:welcome:

Christine, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. :hug: How nice that you will be thinking of her while you work on your house. When my dad died, the only thing I wanted as a remembrance was a small tack hammer that he had made in high school that saw grequent use in his workshop. I use it in making minis, and every time I pick it up, I can feel his hand close over mine.

Welcome to the Greenleaf Family, Christine. Sorry for your loss. My mother is my biggest champion of my miniature work, though she's never done any herself. She's still with me, and I refuse to think of the day she moves on.

Glad you retrieved your house and didn't get rid of it. It looks beautiful. After you've posted 5 times here on the forum you can open your own photo gallery and show us all the rooms and details of your house. We love eye candy :yes:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Christine and welcome to Greenleaf.I'm so behind on my 'Welcomes'..wonderful people welcomed me when I joined and I like to pass it on. Was very sorry to hear about your Mom's passing..my Mom once made her own Santa's House/ Roombox and it was the highlight of a store window for two Christmases. :wave:

• Like 1