Will be doing the San Fran by Dura Craft

mininecessities

Wow I just found this thread! :banana: I thought I was going to have to find another forum to join too............as I thought it was only Greenleaf and Corona. I am building the Greenleaf

Garfield but next week have to go house and baby sit for my daughter for a week and was trying to think of something simple to take. Can't take this Garfield and all the paper, paint etc

so thought I would just take the SF kit, wood glue and sandpaper. anything else I should take just to get started on this.? My son got this at an auction for $25 well actually he got two of the SF that way............and it didn't come with directions. I bought some on ebay so hope I have put them in the box.

I am not going to have stumbling blocks on this am I?? lol guess that is a silly question to ask. I have a feeling I will be visiting this thread alot next week. I can't take my camera over there but will take pics after I get back home with it. /Sure glad you guys are here to help me along!! Well back to reading more posts.

Cheryl

Dura-Craft made three models of the San Franciscan, the SF500 and SF555 were all wood and the SF557 was the MDF version. They all produce a three-storey 1:12 scale dollhouse. The SF555 was the first-ever dh kit I ever built, and "simple" is not the word I'd choose to describe it...

Hi Cheryl, which SF model is it? I have built the SF557 which is the MDF model, and it was a bit of a doozy... Whichever model it is, I recommend masking tape!

oh wow of course! one of the most important things.....so glad you reminded me. I have to go get it out of the closet to see which model it is.........so will do thanks!

Dura-Craft made three models of the San Franciscan, the SF500 and SF555 were all wood and the SF557 was the MDF version. They all produce a three-storey 1:12 scale dollhouse. The SF555 was the first-ever dh kit I ever built, and "simple" is not the word I'd choose to describe it...

It says it is a SF 550 says on the front, all wood and even hardwood flooring. it also says it is Simple to build lol.................so do you know anything about this kit? not sure what the other one in the garage is.............I had opened the one in the garage and stole roof shingles for my grand daughters house. This box has never been opened. So would this be all real wood or have MDF?

If you have an EZCutter, that will make your life so much easier for cutting the pieces, especially the ones that have angles. :)

No I don't have one.......what is it? I think I am going to bring him over here in the day and can set him up with a craft while I work on the house. then go there at night.

I pulled it out of the closet and was reminded how heavy it is .........I am anxious to finish the Garfield first anyway. then I WILL do the San Fran next no matter how hard. May do it like a Painted Lady they call them?

The EX Cutter is great for mall pieces of wood 1/4" or smaller. For most of the DC milled longframe pieces a small metal mitrebox and a flushcut or draw saw work best. To save my saws' teeth I put a craft stick or scrapwood in the bottom of the mitrebox.

I love my San Fran. Of all the houses I have built and either sold or have given away, I have kept my SF. The windows in the DC houses are a pain, but still worth the build of the house. Lots of sand paper!

Here is a link to my SF gallery:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=3833

• Like 1

I love my San Fran. Of all the houses I have built and either sold or have given away, I have kept my SF. The windows in the DC houses are a pain, but still worth the build of the house. Lots of sand paper!

http://www.greenleaf...lery&album=3833

You did a beautiful job. I had already looked your album over and over dreaming of making mine as nice. I will definately build this when the Garfield is done. I do have alot of patience and I made some of my own working windows once from scratch so with directions and good wood, it should be fine!

http://www.greenleaf...lery&album=3833

Wow! Your attention to detail is just amazing! The house is beautiful -- and beautifully done! Was it your idea to hinge the kitchen windows so they'd swing open or did it come that way? How very clever! Now you've got me wondering if I could do that with the three-level tower windows in the Garfield. Ha. I'll have to look at it again.

Kudos to you, and thanks for sharing!

I hinged all my Glencroft's windows so they open to the side. Once more my fingers out-thunk my brain, since I think cantilevered windows acutally work on a pivot at or near the midpoint, rather than hinged along one side. My bad.

cantilevered?? what does that mean? :unsure:

A cantilever is something that juts out from the side of a building but has no support on the far end. The weight of the wall pressing down on the bottom beam or beams holds it in place. A bay window that sticks out from the wall but has no foundation of its own is cantilevered. Frank Lloyd Wright'sFalling Water is a prime example of a residence with whole floors that were cantilevered to hang over streams or other natural landscape features. The glass skywalkway that juts out over the Grand Canyon is cantilevered. Other examples might include balconies on the side of an apartment building, a sheltering roof over a door or window, and so forth.

I hinged all my Glencroft's windows so they open to the side. Once more my fingers out-thunk my brain, since I think cantilevered windows acutally work on a pivot at or near the midpoint, rather than hinged along one side. My bad.

Holly, I don't know how cantilever can be applied to how a window opens or closes. Are you thinking of windows that are hinged on the top (like many basement windows) with pivot hinges or with the pivots in the center of the vertical frame (horizontal pivot) or the center of the top and bottom frames (vertical pivot)?

Just to confuse things a bit more, when we were in the Czech Republic, we found many buildings with tilt and turn windows.

...Are you thinking of windows that are hinged on the top (like many basement windows) with pivot hinges or with the pivots in the center of the vertical frame (horizontal pivot) or the center of the top and bottom frames (vertical pivot)?...
Yes, and it was whatever tour guide describing those windows that has led to my own confusion! Thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Eve, the SF555 was my first-ever kit to build myself; I built it for the eldest granddaughter and it no longer exists, apparently (more drama than you want to know...). I didn't find the VHS video much help, except for taping the wall sections together whilst they dried; I already knew about a steel carpenter's square and waxed paper. It wasn't until a couple of kits later that I found out about a regular miterbox and flushcut saw, and later still to find the EZ Cutter.

Ask all the questions you want to. IMO Harbor Freight has the best prices on bar clamps, get them when they go on sale.

Do introduce yourself to everybody in the Newcomers' Forum.

• 1 month later...

My daughter was given SF557 by a friend of the family. It is partially built with several pieces missing. I need the measurements of the tower roof pieces. WE actually have the sheet of plywood where they were punched out, but the roof itself is not there. I bought a piece of wood and thought I could get the dimensions from the outline and the instructions I found on line, but I cannot get the top and bottom to equal out. One calculation has the Point measuring 7/8 width with bottom portion 3 7/8. If anyone can measure a piece I would greatly appreciate it. We have made a few adjustment for pieces being gone and parts being put together differently. I just cannot figure this one out. Oh and the windows are gone. I need to find windows that will fit into the molding, I have plenty of molding. Thanks

HBS/ http://www.miniatures.com carries Houseworks components, you can measure the window openings and order the windows that come closest to fitting, but you might have to enlarge the openings or else add scrapwood to fill in around them to get them to fit. If the tower is built, measure the width of each section and figure how much overhang you want for the roof and and how high you want the roof. Then you can draw a line perpendicular to the tower wall section width and in its center the height you want, draw lines from the top of the perpendicular line that touch each end of the wall section width line to the length of overhang you want and then a line to join the ends so you have a long, skinny triangle. Make up the roof sections in cardboard and twiddle with them until they fit and you have a pattern to cut them from wood. I had to create a porch and roof for the Laurel I rehabbed. Scrap cardboard is your friend.