2012 Creating Contest??

Morgan, if you feel inspired to compete and the structure speaks to you, then you HAVE to listen and get it out. That's how it was this time, as soon as I saw it, something clicked and I pulled out my books and I started, that's it. I was also soooooo inspired by spring fling and I started that one as well. For me it was a drive in movie theater with the concession stand and the top part the film projector. But money failed me early last year and my job got verrrrrryyyy iffy lol. So I had to stop everything, then job settled and all had time for was HBS :-(. I personally can't wait to see spring fling this year cause currently HBS structure isn't speaking to me ( all I see is Ireland so far.) anyways, anyone want Irish help I can do that being from there lol.

Susan thank you so much for your awesome words !!! That made my day , and I adore jazz no better place for jazz then New Orleans in summer. The clothes were made for me by two little ladies in my mini club. I can't afford nice dolls and they asked if they could help. Those dolls are some beautiful German dolls I saw and they dressed them in their little underwear and suit lol. They thought it was scandalous and they giggled the whole time sewing lol. I have never learned how to make dolls yet ( they are soooo expensive !!) and I gave the ladies all the credit in my bio I sent with the application. And for now I live in Orlando but visit New Orleans as often as I can, It WILL be my home as soon as I can ! I love that city, its a part of my spirit now.

Holly !!! I think I may have to come visit you before Easter ! roll out the cot ! lol TTYS !

• Like 1

...Holly !!! I think I may have to come visit you before Easter ! roll out the cot ! lol TTYS !

We will be at Blackwater River State Park until probably Easter Sunday, doing the Panhandle Trace Hike for NINE days, beginning Thursday the week before and winding up Saturday. We won't hike Good Friday, as that's the day we & our pickup truck are loading everything to transport for the two-day free jazz event in the city park near Seville Square; when we joined JSOP shortly after moving here, that was how we had planned to contribute to the society. We may even stay at the state park until Monday so we can spend the day Sundaay at Seville Square, enjoying the music! Sorry...

It's really nice to know that there are many jazz lovers in the GL community! Somehow I got Brandon's location as New Orleans and not Orlando when I first wrote. Must have been because of Storyville!!!!!!! And those beautiful dollhouse people that the ladies helped make the clothes for are truly incredible works of art. How lucky that you found these ladies to help you with the clothing and where did you find the German dolls?

it's ok Holly, next time !

Susan, I was super happy that my ladies made my little clothes for me. I wanted some dolls I saw at HBS but they were 80 to 100 a doll !! So, I found these and they are antique I believe. In Orlando you can find all; kinds of antiques and mini stuff if you look really carefully. We have a garage sale in my club every year and one in Daytona that is out of this world !!

DIME, I adore you if you ladies are reading lol. They have a garage sale every year in early January where minis go for 50 cents to 20.00 I bought a crate of wallpaper for 25.00 you would be amazed, so everybody come to Orlando lol. and of course you better stop by my favourite place, Ron's (another shameless plug

I know I'm naughty lol.

Brandan.....what's up with all the talk about your subject matter? The concept was great and you played it well. I love everything about your project. Obviously HBS did too :)

I know what you mean about this years contest kit. But......after only seeing an English Cottage, I suddenly saw something I WANT for me. I can't get it out of my mind. Of course, SF comes first :)

And another thing Brandan......with all of your talent, why oh why haven't you tried polymer clay??? You can do it, I know you can :)

Morgan, you may not remember the HUGE brouhaha that followed the article Dollhouse Miniatures (when it was owned by Madavor) published on James Carrington's dolls because it showed a photo of one of his dolls, a nude former fille de joie reclining on a divan, from the back and posed so that NOTHING suggestive showed; but just the fact that this DOLL was nekkid and had a naughty former profession caused some subscribers to drop their subscriptions along with vehemently worded letters to the editor.

lol yeah I thought my subject would bust the minds of others but it was perfect and it IS a piece of history and wonderful piece at that !

Morgan, I wouldlove to learn to play with clay but not sure how to learn or go to someone to teach me. I see such amazing dolls and food and would love to play and try lol. Guess I might just look for a book and play . thank you for your amazing kind words

Brandaen, I have books by James Carrington, Sue Heaser and Angie Scarr and everything I learned was from those. I also experiment, a LOT (as mini of you have guessed from my posts); and when my arthritis leaves my hands alone I just love to play with clay!

This community is sure a wealth of knowledge! Thanks, Holly for referring us to James Carrington, Sue Heaser & Angie Scarr. I will definitely check these resources out once I get ready to try my hand at mini doll making! Brandon, with your obvious talent I just know that you would excel in clay. One thing I did learn was that you need a craft/clay oven and I did get one at JoAnn's recently when I had a 50% off coupon there. Since I use my RL oven all the time for cooking I didn't want to contaminate it with the polymer clay. Also, I can take my little craft oven outside and use it on on patio since my husband has asthma I didn't want to have any toxic odors or possible smoke wafting inside our house.

I can't believe that there are people out there that do not appreciate art and get all upset with a nude mini doll! They probably have a disdain for Rodin and other great artists too.

Lastly, Brandon and all of the jazz enthusiasts out there.....did any of you get a chance to check out either Storyville or Radio Neptune on the internet music stations? Actually as I write this I am listening to a station called Venice Classical Radio!

Angie Scarr is a poly clay food artist and Sue Heaser makes it ALL! I found a toaster oven in a thrift store that I use only for clay, along with a cheap little $ store oven thermometer to keep it calibrated at 275 degrees for baking the clay and saved old disposable aluminum pie pans for baking on. I also have a dedicated pasta machine for conditioning the clay and rolling it to mix colors. The various tools, rolling pin, craft knives, etc, are also dedicated solely for polymer clay. I wash my hands at the beginning and end of each clay session, plus whenever I change colors.

Thx, Holly! I have an Atlas pasta machine but I actually use it to make homemade pasta sometimes so I can't use it for clay. I will just have to condition my clay the old fashioned way!!!!!!! I do have a rolling pin reserved just for my clay though but I'm sure the pasta machine would make it a lot easier. There must be a lot of things in the clay that are not necessarily products that we should absorb thus the reason for hand washing and keeping our tools separated.

Thanks Holly for the book ideas !!

Susan, I'm listening right now, very nice !!

While building my project, I listened to ooolllllddd Jazz Jelly roll Morton, eda, some old ragtime and my favourite, my Billie....the entire time I was immersed in music.

This is hysterical! I DO get it that there are people out there who are unable to accept too free of thinking. However, I'm thinking 'Gunsmoke' and the like. In fact, when I was in High School, decades ago, I played the part of a 'shady lady' in a melodrama. Like, the public paid to see us. There were a dozen of us girls in such parts and no one ever said a thing. Brandan.....I say this REALLY adds to the project itself. It is 2013 and there is stilk a whisper of controversy in this. How fun. I wonder if any of 'those' women had a clue the impact they would make on history?

And as for polymer doll making, I bought no books. Go to You Tube and.....I'll remember the name and leave it later, there's a site I get ooak doll supplies from that has excellent tutorials. Some of the best ooak doll artists out there still work mainly with tooth picks and auch simple tools even. It is a pretty cost friendly craft. Good luck!

One thing I did learn was that you need a craft/clay oven and I did get one at JoAnn's recently when I had a 50% off coupon there

. Actually, you don't need an oven. Poly clay can be cured by popping it in a pan of simmering water. I don't recall the suggested time or temperature, but Anna has written about it.

Hmmmm, I'm not familiar with trying to cure polymer clay in simmering water. Please share any more info on that if you have it as I'm not sure who Anna is.

Brandan! We love Billie too and Sarah Vaughn is one of our favorites and you can't beat ragtime to get you going! Glad you are listening to these stations.

Some of you really scored with finding inexpensive clay ovens! Looking forward to hearing more about the You Tube videos too.

Thanks everyone!

Hmmmm, I'm not familiar with trying to cure polymer clay in simmering water. Please share any more info on that if you have it as I'm not sure who Anna is.

Brandan! We love Billie too and Sarah Vaughn is one of our favorites and you can't beat ragtime to get you going! Glad you are listening to these stations.

Some of you really scored with finding inexpensive clay ovens! Looking forward to hearing more about the You Tube videos too.

Thanks everyone!

This Anna: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showuser=90

Morgan that is a marvelous idea !! thanks I'm looking through youtube now !

Ya know its funny cause we have an annual fundraiser here for my mini club, where we design a structure and then the students build it and we fill it with all kinds of wonderful stuff my club makes. One year it was Mardi Gras themed and we had al kinds of wrought iron and masks etc...well lol it was all supposed to be very bourbon street, I made mine into a strip joint with a half naked doll in the window dancing lol !!! I been crazy and risque for years lol. Oh well !

Morgan that is a marvelous idea !! thanks I'm looking through youtube now !

Ya know its funny cause we have an annual fundraiser here for my mini club, where we design a structure and then the students build it and we fill it with all kinds of wonderful stuff my club makes. One year it was Mardi Gras themed and we had al kinds of wrought iron and masks etc...well lol it was all supposed to be very bourbon street, I made mine into a strip joint with a half naked doll in the window dancing lol !!! I been crazy and risque for years lol. Oh well !

I have heard about peoples' being thin skinned over the darnedest things for years! When I was growing up a local artist painted a semi-abstract of a young man in the nude, and the gallery that displayed her work made her paint a bathing suit on him because someone was offended! You just keep right on being crazy & risque!

• Like 1