Beachside Bungalow Done!

Pixie0763

Gorgeous! Good work. I have the larger bungalow (but in half scale) waiting to be built, and I love seeing what others have done with these houses. I hope you'll fill it up and share some pics of it furnished. :)

Not only is my husband encouraging me to dress up the Bungalow and keep it; he has ordered the Pierce kit for me! I have no idea where I'm going to put another house ... but I'm walking on cloud 9 right now and not worried about it!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Being my first dollhouse and given as a Christmas gift from John, my husband, I think he's as (or more) attached to it than I am? To that end, he came up with a relatively inexpensive way to display it. He's taken a wooden bar stool and mounted a heavy piece of finished plywood to it. So, I've ordered what I want to decorate the exterior. Inasmuch as the display won't swivel, making it much less easy to turn around, I still may not decorate the interior? Of course, he may change my mind on that too! LOL! I'll take more pictures once I get it further decorated outside.

Off topic, my Pierce kit arrived! So far, I've stained the first level floors cherry & polyurethaned them. :)

Maybe I've missed something, but why would you build a dollhouse and NOT finish off the interior and furnish it? Even it's "just for display" (shudder) people, including you, can still peek in at the windows. Just as I feel a little uplift to see decorated rooms (with or without people) when I look into a dh, I feel a real let-down when I look in and see NOTHING but bare wood.

Of course, this is a plus when I get my hands on it and rip it all apart again to rebuild and rehab, but I only want to rehab GL kits.

I can build & decorate, but I'm not naturally artistic enough to make my own furniture, accessories, etc., which means they're purchased. It adds up quickly, and the money I'd spend furnishing one could be spent building the next? Of course, as things are going, I think John will continue to nudge me into finishing the inside too. I'm not complaining. I'll just have to spread it out over time to keep from going broke! LOL!

If you can follow directions to build a dollhouse, it's a similar process to make the furniture, and there are books for making accessories out there that take a similar approach. For starters I heartily recommend any book by Patricia King to get you started. Amaze yourself. I did.

"To that end, he came up with a relatively inexpensive way to display it. He's taken a wooden bar stool and mounted a heavy piece of finished plywood to it".

This is how I came up with my dh table I think 74 inches long or close on 6 wheels so it can pull away from the wall. LoVe my table...

hmm wish it was cleaned up though. First finishing brick roll one of these days as health allows then need to change projects to making bird toys then back to plant flowers outside dh......... it's called 'life' that we all must live sometimes.

congrats on all you are doing.

LindaC

• Like 1

'Any pictures of the bird toys?' my favorites are anything hanging from small whiffle balls. We use poly rope or leather for bird safety. For cats you might make another favorite. Plain plastic chain with colored zip ties attached everywhere. Birds love to knock them around. When a dollar store was going out of business I got yards and yards of their white chain they used to display things. OH, I am seeing the one with adding machine tape (with no coating). A cat would really love that.

Have fun :-)

toycollage.jpg

birdtoy2.jpg

birdtoy.jpg

I LOVE the bird toys! something like the plastic chain with bells and big beads might work with DS' cats; they EAT/ destroy a whiffle ball in about five minutes flat, less if it's more than one of them.

Great Job Karen!!! I can't wait until I'm halfway complete...keep us posted on the decorating and the Pierce!!! I, too, am counting pennies working on the Fairfield...I'm a little anal and hate to not have items on hand...I've been alotting myself so much money at a time and believe I have enough supplies to complete two DH's, although I had the audacity to order 3 (before I completed this first one). Anyway, I can now replace as I go and pick up items as they go on sale!

I'll keep watch and post items as I find them on sale/clearance...hope that helps!!!

I'm gonna display my Fairfield in my mom's hair salon...hopefully, the ladies would like to purchase...I'm thinking I'll go all out for the display (debating on lighting) but purchase some miniatures to sell retail...that way they can purchase from me and I'll have the $$$ to support the hobby.

Anyway...Good JOB!!!

Your house looks great! I am helping my daughter build hers now inbetween the build of my house.

So your husband is going to put the house on a bar stool? Can he put a turn table on there first so your house could swivel? Maybe put some furniture sliders on the table legs so you can pull it away from the wall.

There is no rush to decorate. Find your pieces here and there. You may find some that will work for your Pierce before you are even ready for it.

• 3 weeks later...