New from Matteson, IL...suburb of Chicago

kidrumm

I'm also new from Matteson, IL a suburb of Chicago...I completed a dollhouse years ago but never got it wired or decorated and my ex-husband gave it away before I could get it (hence the ex!!!). I am awaiting the Fairfield in the mail and am anxious to get started!!! Will probably needs LOTS of advice...

Welcome to the little family, Kina. I built two Fairfields as halves of a single house and I found that a lot of the ready-made furniture is closer to 1:32 scale than true 1:24, and was just not working with the 1:24 kits and measured furniture I'd made, as well as the dolls I made; so I wound up making almost all the furniture in it. I wish you better luck!lol

Hi, Also good to meet you...Lincoln Mall is on it's last leg unfortunately...barely any stores open now...I am sure I will be asking a LOT of questions, so I am sure we will get to know one another. I am considering moving to Memphis, TN...ASAP...waiting on an interview there...

Welcome to the little family, Kina. I built two Fairfields as halves of a single house and I found that a lot of the ready-made furniture is closer to 1:32 scale than true 1:24, and was just not working with the 1:24 kits and measured furniture I'd made, as well as the dolls I made; so I wound up making almost all the furniture in it. I wish you better luck!lol

Are pictures posted in the gallery? I would absolutely love to see it...

Between moving 200 miles West and problems with the film processor's photo CD burner and issues with the last-but-one site upgrade I haven't added any of the finished pictures. What I built so far is here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=3404 , the "Bash of Two Fairfields" album.

Hi Kina and welcome to Greenleaf. I always dry fit each project first...then you can decide what needs to be decorated,painted,changed before you glue.And NO MATTER what any instructions say- don't use a hot glue gun as this type of glue becomes brittle with age and your project could fall apart.Prime everything..I use Mod-Podge,and paint with acrylics both easily washable with water and with no fumes. And keep tons of masking tape on hand you'll use it for dry fits and to hold walls etc. while glue dries.Oh, and I forgot to mention- I use Elmer's Carpenter Glue or Aileen's Sticky glue.Both great.There's always someone here to answer most any question! Again, welcome!!

• 3 weeks later...

You're not too far from Brookfield. The last time I was in Chicago before last year's trip I spent a week working on a project at the Brookfield Zoo in 2000, installing several thousand feet of artificial jungle vine in the Habitat Africa section. We built a dozen or so trees, logs and 3,000 ft. of vines for the project. We put in over 120 hours of work in 6 days, so we didn't have much time to see any of the sights. I did get a chance to see the Museum of Science and Industry. Way better than any of the museums I've been to here in FL.

Nice! Brookfield Zoo is one of FAVORITE places to visit in the winter.

I was surprised to see it open in the winter. I know many of the animals were being kept in heated stables while we were there. They let us inside the one holding the animals for the area we were working on. The pigmy croc was in hybernation, the giant bird-eating spider was too, but the okapi (half zebra, half giraffes) were lively. The one downside to the work was the chemicals we used. Most produced fumes that dissolved our respirator filters and the sculpting putty we used was so corrosive it would burn through clothing in minutes and had to be washed off with acetone. We even had an acetone eye-wash station in case any of it got in our eyes. Good times. :p

• 2 weeks later...