gramac

Hi everyone, I've been working on miniatures, off and on, since my daughter was 8 or 9. I've taken a few classes and worked on traditional houses and room boxes, but have always been drawn to unusual containers and found objects. The first 'house' my daughter and I did was in a small cupboard. It had six rooms and a basement, as I recall. The two doors could be closed and it looked just like the cupboard it was. Wish I still had it.

A few months ago my son brought me a partially constructed Lily that he rescued from a friend's trash pile. Many parts were missing,but the instruction booklet was still in the box. I don't yet know how many pieces are missing, since I don't have the schematic. I did find Gina's great tutorial, which is REALLY helping! But only realized the roof braces and roof were missing when I saw her pictures. I 'engineered' and 'manufactured' both. Quite pleased with myself. It has decided it wants to be a haunted, ghoulish 'boarding house', complete with skeletal chandelier and piano player, a 'six-foot' dining table, a kitchen for brewing potions, and a blood-spattered entry. I've left off the porch roof, traded the lattice for 'stone', the siding for stucco. Now it's my ten year old grandaughters a helping me; one working on a witch's sitting room, the other on a vampire's bedroom. I encourage creativity, not perfection, and stress having FUN with it ! We all won blue ribbons for our entries in our last county fair; they for their fairy houses, me for Cinderella's pumpkin coach.

We currently have eight houses in various stages of design, construction, and remodeling. I also have a scene from Phantom of the Opera in the planning stages, and Marilyn Monroe's dressing room (in a cosmetic case) waiting to be put together.

I look forward to learning more, and to getting these projects finished!

Welcome to the little family, Carole! I can't wait until you've made your first five posts so you can make albums of your houses and roomboxes to share with us! The skeletons from the Hallowe'en garlands are in scale for 1:12 (close enough) and can be posed, dressed and embellished for haunted houses (see Deb's Haunted Houseboat, Death Takes a Holiday), or you can stretch and glue old nylon stocking material over them to give them the appearance of mummies.

Hi Holly, I bought a bunch of bead necklaces with skeletons on them at a dollar store last October, they sound like the garland ones, almost to scale.Thanks for the nylon idea, one of the rooms is to be 'mummy's' room. Can't wait to try it!

Wow, Carole, you have got your hands full!

My big house is done except for the fun stuff, but I have a little four-room beach display that I've been thinking I should get back to.

I have a children's book by Walter Wick called Can You See What I See : Treasure Ship that is giving me lots of good decorating ideas!

P.S. I am a newbie too.

Hi Mary Ann, Isn't it fun? I know I have way too much going on, but I'm really determined to get lots of these projects finished this year. While the paint is drying on one project, I can glue another, and while that is drying, get those curtains finished, etc, etc, etc. I just can't work on/play with one thing at a time! Oh, and I miscounted, I found another house in the back room of the workshop today. :D