Roach Motel Hell

sommerstern7

The seller probably hasn't touched the house in some time. Roaches are, unfortunately, going to get into things. I fault the seller for selling something that has not first been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. I know when the Cambridge went to the neighbors' granddaughter I dusted it and scrubbed it to remove accumulated dust and other "stuff". Our old RL house was loosely built so that field mice could get in, so of course we also battled spiders and roaches; but that's no reason for selling them along with a dollhouse! blagh.

Holly- if they had even wiped the dollhouse out with a damp paper towel, I would have been none the wiser to the fact that it had roaches or spiders or whatever and I probably would have never sent it back and would have just assumed that I only needed to eradicate the ashtray smell that it carried with it. I mean that extra mile that the seller could have gone here would have made a world of difference for their transaction with me because I would have never known--until possibly the eggs that were left behind started hatching and taking over my RL house. I think Im actually glad that she didn't clean it up for me so that I knew exactly what I was getting. Hopefully the next highest bidder will see it for what it is and be prepared to deal with it accordingly. Im sure there are certain things that can be done to salvage the house if someone is willing to deal with all of it. I just don't care to with what all that I have seen from it and the enormous hassle of it all. I hope it ends up in a loving home with someone who can clean it thoroughly and make it into what it can be-- which is, I'm certain, beautiful.

Guest Nathaniel

ie: 'Old, Nasty Fairfield Dollhouse for sale. Comes from a smoking household and smells like a dirty ashtray, but comes from a pet-free home. Dollhouse however is not only equipped with its own appliances, but will come with several cockroaches and a small dried out spider; all which can be positioned any way you'd like, anywhere in the house--with the exception of one small roach that is permanently affixed to adorn the 2nd floor bathroom curtain. House also comes with several deteriorating cobwebs and dust mites. For pick up or delivery. Buyer pays shipping----- Both Ways. (Bahahahahaha!)

LOL - This made me laugh! :)

• Like 1

No pets in the seller's house - just whole families of "pets" living in the dollhouse! And what's with the "1:50" scale? It must have been found in an attic and they just want to get rid of it. Obviously hasn't had any loving touches for a long time!

Or perhaps it has gone to someone who will take one look, vacuum the heck out of it & douse it with a nice strong bleach solution...

Holly, I hope it does go to someone who can save it from complete ruin. Just a question since you have now piqued my curiousity with the bleach solution... won't the wood warp on the Corona and Greenleaf houses because of how thin they are if they get wet or have chemicals sprayed on them? Because if not, I tend to work in bleach like a cobbler works in shoe leather (I am practically a bleach addict, lol, and have always used it to clean my RL house)--I just need to know a safe application technique to use should I ever again come across a dollhouse that should NEED to be bleached. How do you apply it without warping everything, and how would you get it into all of the nooks and cranny's of the fireplace chimneys and eaves, etc...

Would you do this prior to removing the wallpaper, trim, and floor treatments or after?

• Like 1

How do you apply it without warping everything, and how would you get it into all of the nooks and cranny's of the fireplace chimneys and eaves, etc...

Would you do this prior to removing the wallpaper, trim, and floor treatments or after?

I'd put the bleach mixture into a spray bottle and lightly spritz the whole thing, inside and out, before removing anything. I wouldn't drown it. If it's well glued together, there shouldn't be a problem with warping. I'd let that dry thoroughly, then do the removals. And after that, I'd either spritz it again or do a thorough wipe-down with a sponge dampened with the bleach mix.

Just want to offer a word of caution.

I went to the link you provided earlier for the sale of this house.

I recognized the house and other items as some that were done by a fellow GL member.

While not trying to minimize the problem discovered, we probably should be just a tad more temperate.

Just saying ....

Thanks Kathie! It's good to know that warping isn't a problem with something that has been put together well. I will have to remember that when I build my Glencroft. The cleaning tips are also great to know because despite my horrific experience with this house, I am sure that somewhere, somehow I will be in a situation where I will forget the lesson that I have learned from buying a used dollhouse and will end up caving in to "something that I just have to have right this minute" and I will end up buying something in dire need of disinfecting. These things are great to know--just in case! Thank You!