New Member from California

Hello Everyone

I am completely new to the whole mini world. At least this part of it. :D

My grandfather used to run a small business called the Mini Electrifier but he passed away a couple of years ago. I remember as a kid, him always getting me and my brothers to help him assemble wiring and candle bodies for the doll houses. So in his passing it seems I inherited all of his Mini Electrifier inventory and among that were two unbuilt houses. Myself having 3 daughters thought how great would it be to build one for them. So here I am, looking to the world of miniatures and am very intrigued by the vastness of it all.

Going through all of these boxes, it is amazing to see how in depth the whole process really is and how much there is to learn. I look forward to this new adventure!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your Welcomes!

There actually three different houses to choose from,

Vermont farmhouse Jr.

Victorian

and a San Franciscan ( but it looks like this one may be missing some pieces)

I may start with the Jr because it's my first and it looks like it's a little on the simpler side.

It is nice too because I already have everything i could possibly need for all the wiring!

Once I get started I will begin to post pictures.

So does anyone have any beginners advice?

• Like 1

Hi Laurey, and welcome to our family. I'm new this year too and I'm loving every minute of it. Great support from people on here and the pictures are so neat to look at. I'm doing the 'Pierce' and then I guess the lighthouse for my son. You will read to sit back and let the house talk to you.. Do it. When I get stumped I just take a few days and look at it. Like last night I ripped out the wallpaper in two rooms. Great spot to print your own wallpaper is jennifersprintables.com . Print on card stock and she has many patterns of wallpaper from different years to pick from. Plus many other items to make. Also you'll see other websites you can go too from there also. When I got my house 20+ years ago we didn't have the internet for ideas. Glad I packed it away and didn't finish it until now. I just had the walls up and had started on floors. Oh' popsticks are great for floors and bamboo sticks for fill in. You can get bamboo at grocery stores. well, better go time to leave work. have a great weekend and have fun! Connie

• Like 1

Hi Laurey and welcome to Greenleaf.Even though I've been building houses for a few years,I always find it exciting and a bit scary to start a new project. Take your directions and read through them a couple of times.DO NOT use hot glue -as it becomes brittle with age and your project could collapse.Instead use a good wood glue or sticky glue like Aileen's.Have plenty of masking tape for dry fits and to hold stuff together while glue dries.Follow directions..each step is numbered.Also with a dry fit you can decide what needs to be painted,stained or wallpapered before it's glued and while you can still get at the different rooms. Always prime your pieces- I use Mod-Podge.(Washes up with water and has no fumes) And I use acrylic paints,(same reason).With flooring: you can paint over stain but NOT stain over paint.Well, this was chatty but I hope you can use some of this info.Very glad you found this site! :wave:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome! It's nice to see someone from the west coast!!! I just jumped into my first dollhouse last Nov and had no idea how "depth the whole process really is" as you put it. This is an awesome forum and there are a lot of talented people on here. Seeing some of the pics just blows me away.

Just remember that building a dollhouse should be fun and enjoyable for you! So don't stress over the little things! Take it one step at a time and if you get stuck along the way just pop onto this forum and ask any questions you like! Everyone here is awesome and I've already gotten lots of great advice.