Is the Tom Bishop 2012 San Francisco Show a good one to go to?

Bogie

I've returned to miniatures after a very long absence. I really want to go to a show, possibly even show some of my work. I'm working on a kit now but I hope to do two scratch builds by this summer.

I've found posts here on Tom Bishop's Chicago show. Any comments on the San Francisco show this July? I'm figuring it's smaller than Chicago but does it still have a nice turnout? Is it a good place for newbies to show their work?

Thanks,

Bogie

The Tom Bishop show, which is not actually *in* San Francisco but near the airport, is a small show that's only one day. If you're already in the area, it's fun, but I wouldn't travel too far for it. I haven't been for a few years but the last time I went, I spent something like $19 for admission, parking, etc. (maybe also bridge toll, I can't remember if I'd moved to Marin yet) and was in and out of there in an hour without buying anything. :(

The San Jose show is Good Sam, and it's a much larger show and definitely one to hit! They also offer great workshops before and after, a couple of years ago I took one with the Guys from Texas and that combined with the show itself made for an awesome few days.

Both of these shows are artisan shows. There are also some shows in the area put on by local clubs that are less formal and would potentially be better if you're looking to show your work. One is the CHAMPS show in the east bay in September, and another is a mini flea market in... Watsonville, I think? Also The Elegant Dollhouse in Sacramento does a parking lot sale every May where people can set up booths, and there's another put on by a club in San Mateo in November or December (I haven't been to either of these yet, though, so can't vouch for them).