Beacon Hill - living room entry moved to angled wall?

KathieB

I have the framework of the house nearly finished but for the two panels that separate the ground floor hallway from the living room. It appears to me that by closing up the doorway near the front door and leaving out the angled piece, one could create a solid wall that would provide more options for furniture arranging and a dramatic entryway that would also provide a more open viewing situation.

I'm not using the hallway as a dining room, so losing a piece of wall where a breakfront or sideboard might be placed isn't really a factor. Also, a large mirror on the hallway side of the wall (where the original door is) would reflect the detail of the stairway that is difficult to see.

Has anyone done this? I'm curious to know what others think of this idea, which I have just about convinced myself to do.

BTW, I haven't posted any photos of this build as I haven't taken any. I've been working at it in small increments of time now that the stairways are finished (they're all removable) and not following the instruction very closely. I'd like to get the rest of the construction finished before we leave in mid-April, so when we come back next fall I can begin the electricity and decorative part.

Kathie, I think this is a great idea. I am trying to think back on my BH build; the only downside I can think of is even less accessibility to that staircase/foyer part of the house but I really like your mirror idea.

Kathie, I think this is a great idea. I am trying to think back on my BH build; the only downside I can think of is even less accessibility to that staircase/foyer part of the house but I really like your mirror idea.

Accessibility won't be a problem, as I've made the staircases so they are all removable. I didn't want to have to deal with papering the walls they go against if they were permanently installed.

Thanks, Charlan and April. The mirror wasn't my idea. I think it was Tracy's (bluebear).