Facebook Question

They get asked periodically, and the answer is always "no". But if you stop to think about it, this forum is MUCH better than a Facebook page. Here you can always come back to something, you can search through the whole montrous database for information, and you can have dozens of topics going at once. FB is really quite limited, and the postings scroll away and can't be found again without a lot of effort.

Why don't you go on over to the newcomer's section and introduce yourself - you'll find lots of friends and information here. :welcome:

For personal reasons I have never had an interest in any of the social networks. This forum is more like a family. Do introduce yourself in the newcomers' Forum, Debra. I'm sure we've all had our shots and very few of us bite.

I prefer this forum. It is easier to find things here and the discussions are better. Things get lost on FB. Once it is posted, if you don't see it right away, it gets buried. Here we can have real discussions, post ideas, etc. and everything is searchable. I know a lot of members really dislike FB and some left because of the share on FB button when the forum moved to another site.

I agree...wish they DID have a facebook page! Social networking is a very powerful sales tool these days, and it would bring others over to this site who may not have otherwise realized were here. I dont think it would hurt anything having an official basic Greenleaf fan page on fb. "Everyone else is doing it"...lol...

There's a facebook link button, and we have already "lost" a large number of formerly active members to the social networks. I have stopped using HBS since they've gone on FB and are offering their special deals to "friends".

I don't do FB or any of the other social network places.

This place is devoted only to us and is easier to navigate.

If it moves to FB like HBS did, I will lose more great friends and family.

It just seems that little treasures like Greenleaf (and as you referenced to Small Stuff Digest)

- the off- Facebook locations just dry up and die after a while of the "new" FB opening.

It just feels nice to have a special place that isn't gobbled up by the big guys.

Just my old lady opinion.

Although I will mention that some of my older grands are getting totally fed up

with the FB scene and are moving on to other things.

FB will die off to something else sooner or later. Change is the name of the game.

Popularity drives the latest and greatest thing.

If I choose not to change, I'll be left behind .... Oh well ...

Of all my friends, I am one of the last that isn't on facebook. It has never interested me. I find the few store/hobby facebook sites that I do visit hard to follow and, as others have pointed out, you can never find something a second time. I love the GL forum.

• Like 1

I personally like the forum here better. Things are not easily lost. We have already had a few members who got their feelings hurt when they posted a question and they don't get a response fast enough. They felt ignored. On facebook, a question can get lost really fast sometimes in just hours! We'd miss a lot of people with good info or new needing help. We have lost a few here and I didn't even notice it was an issue until the sent me a PM about it. Sometimes, because of their PM, I was able to help them see it was just a slow day (or a question that's brought up so much, it can be found easily in search).

So far, Greenleaf is still firm about saying no to Facebook

I have a Facebook page but I only check it every 5 months or so. I really would hate if Greenleaf switched over to FB. My dad actually uses face book way more then I ever have. This forum is much easier to navigate and search and find pictures. Go Greenleaf!

I don't think of it as replacing this site, just as an extra way to introduce ppl to the houses available. Were kind of in a bubble here...so many people have no idea about the new half scale GL houses ( for instance) because they aren't advertised anywhere (that I've seen) outside of the GL site. I work at a DH shop and even the owner who buys a few GL kits didn't know what was available in the new half scales. It's about getting the word out...and increasing the exposure...not replacing this site. Just my 2 cents and Debra this is how this conversation always goes lol

Privacy is a sacred thing to the folks at Greenleaf---not protecting their own, but being respectful and protecting the privacy of the Greenleaf community members. Dean is rock solid about making sure the forum is set up so that the security is water tight. Part of the forum upgrade was for enhanced security (and no, the facebook, twitter, etc., buttons don't compromise privacy at all since all that does it put a link to the forum page into your facebook status just exactly as if you copied and pasted it there yourself. It's nothing that visitors can't see by coming to the forum thru a search engine as a non-member and reading thru the threads.) If you look up at the address bar and it says "greenleafdollhouses.com" somewhere in the url, you know that no one is using your information to build their next ad campaign or force you to go to their site where you'll get infected with spyware. Greenleaf is 100% in-house.

What most people don't realize is how much time Tracy and Cat and Emily spend in getting rid of spammers and p*** and scams like "contact us if your hobby is destroying your life so we can put you in our reality show" kinds of things. That's a big part of what they do every day and their diligence is why it's never seen by members. Trust me, they've deleted some things that were rude, crude and nude to keep the forum clean and free of Nigerians who would be oh so happy if only we'd take their money. My point in mentioning that is because they do it so well that no one ever knows it's a problem.

The biggest pro to the forum is that there's no hidden spyware here. The forum loads a cookie to keep you logged in and that's it. No ads, no stealth tracing of who you've been talking to and about what. No one knows what music you listened to or if you were watching You Tube videos about things you don't want your mother to know about. Greenleaf and our members only want to hear about your private life if you choose to share it with us. Nothing on the internet is private but Greenleaf keeps us as far under the radar as they can.

It's a little old school in these days of Twitter and Facebook, but the folks at Greenleaf are very much a Mom and Pop organization. Dean's grandfather started it that way and no matter how big they are, they've never changed that. Karin, I totally get what you're saying and so do the folks at Greenleaf. There's much more that goes on in marketing there than meets the eye and there's always something new around the bend. <grinning> The webstore is growing more and more every day with new products that are making it easy to shop for everything you need to build a dollhouse all in one place. They even carry glue now!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Greenleaf is always going to be steady and constant and *here*. The surface may change once in awhile, but the heart and soul of Greenleaf will always be here in our own backyard where we can feel safe.

Deb

• Like 2

Did anyone catch the national news story about the old internet email scam that's now working by phone, thanks to all the personal info people post of FB and the other social networks? Thieves gather your personal info off the site and then phone pretending to be a relative in trouble asking for money.

I understand both sides here too. And I see what Karin's saying about advertising. Is there a way to just make a page with info on it, and have it locked to any external postings? So when Dean updates the blog and Twitter, he can post the update there too, but then there's no comments or info being distributed around? I'm not sure if it would work like that, just a thought, a compromise if you will. :) Just basic stuff and contact info, and of course a link to the webstore and to the forums.

• Like 1

I have a very limited presence on FB. I also think that this forum should stay as it is. I come here for my dollhouse "fix", like the intimacy and personal-ness of this forum, and think that would be seriously jeopardized, if not lost entirely, by doing the FB thing.