1980s Westville

ManateeDream

Hey guys, sorry for a repeat issue if it is one. I'm at my Grandparents for a month and I decided to build an old dollhouse in the garage, I found out today it is a Greenleaf Westville, from around the mid 1980's. It's been perfectly stored flat in first a Phoenix garage for 10 years, then another 15 or so in a Fresno garage. (The directions say to use hot glue in its construction...I know this is bad. lol.) My main concern is, should I be worried about using such an old kit? Will the wood accept paint or should I just abandon it?

The wood may be a bit thirsty so be prepared for the boards to warp a little once you get some stain or sealer on them. Mine had sat in storage since '93 and that's what it did once I started sealing them. Stain both sides, the wood will drink it up but that should make it a little less brittle, if it's dried out.

I'm not sure if speckling is really necessary. I've actually never had problems with warping, not even on old kits. But if you're concerned, just do whatever sealing treatment you plan to use to both sides. i.e. Primer, gesso, stain... And remember, you can paint over stain, but you can't stain over paint. But, like Kynne said, older wood may be a little drier, so it will probably take a little more. Old kits I've done I've had to apply at least 2 coats of primer (I use gesso to prime). And you will definitely want to seal the wood in some way. ANd if possible, try not to seal the parts that will take glue. Wood glues to wood much easier that way. Also, any slight warping should be taken care of once you start gluing the kit together.

The pieces on mine just got a little bit of warp once I'd put on one coat of a sealer. That was pretty easily fixed by getting it a little damp, putting some wax paper on each side to "protect" the wood because I then sat it down with some weight on it (books and cases of soda >.<) which straightened it out pretty easily.

But really, yeah. Most warping can be fixed by just putting the kit together.