Our sweet Crystal has gone to the Rainbow Bridge

Bea Killion

We moved to SC in 2006. And since then have lost: 1 parakeet, 1 bunny (attacked by hawk), 1 african grey parrot (flew out the door), couple of Koi, (cats or hawks? don't know)and my 3 Bichons, Carly, Margie (adopted), and Crystal. All the pets we brought from NJ....Makes we wonder if we should have stayed up there in NJ?

Oh, Bea, the sands of time run down no matter where you are, and the love you give your fur and feather babies is no less in NC than it was in NJ. Whatever brought you south was all a part of the big picture and meant to be. Try not to fret over it.

My sympathies go out to you. We had to have our 16 year Kitty laid to rest back in October and it was very hard. Interestingly enough, when my husband was literally on his deathbed back in February, he kept asking me why Kitty was in the ICU room walking around. I told him the kitty (our new little kitten at that point) was at home and he was dreaming. After he recovered, I asked him about it. He said he recalled it vividly...and it was our PREVIOUS Kitty, the one we had put to sleep back in October, that was in his room!!! It affirms my belief that our furballs stay with us, even after they are gone!!

I think you're right Sally. They know how much we loved them and still do. They definitely know our moods and our feelings, so I'm sure after they're not physically with us they must still try to give us comfort. A few years back when I had a terrible argument with one of my workers, Crystal knew I was totally shook up and upset and for one full week she was glued to me. At night she even slept right on my pillow right next to my head. And when I sat down she was right on top of me and wouldn't move. And if I got up, she was right after me. She really felt my pain. She never acted like that before.

Bea, can I say you're crazy to take your dogs everywhre if I tell you my husband and I do the same thing?! :) Isn't it wonderful to be crazy about our furry kids? We have two Poms that are so spoiled it's silly. I hate it when people leave their little dogs in the car alone. Dognapping is very real. Today we went to some garage sales and took turns going to look, like always.

Recently Goodwill made a new policy and no longer allows dogs but Michael's craft store and Home Depot still welcome them. Guess where we shop most? :)

My hubby just pointed out we are crazier than you Bea! I tend to forget, not everyone has a tempurpedic bed and couch 8" high because their dog is part kangaroo and has broken two legs! After the second one and a $5000 surgery we redid all tall furniture she could jump on, and off of, and live lkfe low, for our little dogs. They also ALWAYS are seatbelted in their kennels in the car. So...........I am very happy to learn we have company in our crazy.

LOL! Glad to know I am not the only crazy one. I think sometimes we are the pets, and they are the pet owners. When my Crystal and Carly were young, we put them in these things (for dogs) that you put them in to carry them in front of you like backward knapsacks. We took them to Connecticut and walked around the seaport and took them on a Ferry ride to Block Island, and then we went up to Salem Mass. and walked around visiting the Witches village, and then we went into the witch museum and they had animated scenes of what went on at the time of the witch hunts. And we past the scene with the moving wolves, and my little Carly started barking at them, it was too funny. Other people in the museum couldn't figure out what was going on in there. When my youngest daughter still lived at home, she was the only one I would trust to leave them with, so we did get to go on some vacations and cruises without them. But now I have no one to stay with them so where we go they go. My neighbor (who always wants us to go places for a day) thinks we should put in a doggie door, so they can go out and in when they want, and we can leave them alone....I told her a hawk already killed my bunny, and I wouldn't let my little Casey (malt-poo) go out if we weren't home. Of course, she used to let her Lab run the neighborhood before there was a leash law.

Bea, I am so sorry for the loss and sadness you feel. And I completely understand. Sushi left us 2.5 yrs ago and I think of and miss him every day.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only "crazy" one with my pets, though.

Our Lola is in the hospital right now with a herniated disc and pancreatitis and when she gets home, she will not be allowed to jump on the furniture anymore. My husband actually said we should just get rid of the furniture, but my kids are already a little annoyed by the dogs (and the way they are spoiled) so I don't think I would go that far. But, Morgan, I LOVE your solution! I already have the mattress on the floor, but hadn't really considered the couch, etc.

Did you just make new couches or cut the legs off of your old ones?

Hugs to you Bea!

So sorry to hear about your loss. She had many happy years with you and you will hold those memories close to your heart. And remember this isn't Goodbye to Crystal, it's only "See you Later". She'll be sitting at the end of the Rainbow Bridge when it is your time to join her.

lyn

Traci, I'm so sorry to hear about your Lola. It used to make me so upset to leave my Carly at the vet's when she had to get her blood sugar tested for the whole day. I was afraid she would think we abandoned her. And when we had to leave her for more than a dog or two for surgery, I was a total wreck. She also has had pancreatitis, along with Diabetes and Cushings disease. It was took much for her little body. When we lost her at age 10, I still felt she was a puppy, and it was too soon for her to go. But she was so sick,poor baby. We had no choice, she was in pain after her last attack of pancreatitis. And she started hemmoraging. The vet called us after keeping her all night and said we'd better come and say goodbye. Very heartbreaking.

Hope your Lola's has a speedy recovery.