Help, I warped my floor!

CourtofGypsies

My fault entirely. I forgot to seal and did floorboards. :dunce: The floor is now slightly bowed in the middle. I did a search and did find some info but I have a question.

Should I dampen the bottom side and put weight on to straighten till dry and then seal or should I seal first and then put weight on? Hope I'm making sense here.

Mine wasn't attached to anything when I warped it by only doing one side. I fixed mine by doing the other side then putting weights on it. I had to spritz it with water once or twice and leave it for a few days but it fixed itself enough to not really be noticeable. I don't know if that helps you but I think you have the right basic idea either way you go about it.

Finishing one side means that whatever the moisture in the air is doing to the wood will effect one side faster than the other. Here in the north country, the winters are dry (a panel sitting on the shelf will curl up at the edges) and summers are wet (panels will curl down on the edges). I often have to turn a panel over the morning it will get attached to let the other side feel the effect of the ambient air... putting a wieght on it only interferes with the air. But to keep a floor flat for the long run, I need a foundation.

• Like 1

This is an excellent question. I have been working on a Buttercup used as a base for a recreation of Rik Pierces' East Of The Moon which I intend to donate to my dog rescue group as a fund raiser. I have rebuilt the shell at least four times and even though it is supposed to be "old" I do want it to be fairly square. I finally gave up and reordered a second kit to start from scratch. My question is, what should I do to stablize the pieces before I start the actual build? What kind of basic sealer are you using that has proven sucessful? Thanks for any comments and suggestions.