9/6/06 Internet Speed

Minis On The Edge

42 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Speed For Internet?

• Dial Up
    • DSL Telephone High Speed
    • Cable High Speed
    • Satelight High Speed

I received a PM last night from someone who have a hard time viewing all of the pictures we have in the Gallery because they have dial up and it just takes so long for her to view all of the pictures we have. It got me wondering how many of us are using dial up or high speed.

Tell us what you are using and why you like or dislike it.

I personally have had cable high speed internet for the past year (I was on dial up before that and loved it till I went highspeed). I love the speed of downloading things but hate the price ($33 per month and it was $45 till I told them I was gonna switch to DSL :( ).

I have owned a computer for 10 years. I started with dial-up. Hated it!

Then because I worked with the phone company I upgraded to dsl. It was wonderful! Loved it. But the company kept jacking up the price.

I found out that cable was even faster. I have had it for almost 2 yrs now. The cable company had a promotion that you sign up get a free modem and $23.00 a month for 1 yr. It went up to $32.00 but it is way less expensive than the dsl connection.

Our local company just sold to a corporation and they even speeded up the connection. But now I am wondering what they are going to be charging....they better add some new stations to our cable lineup.. :(

I've got cable. In fact, till I had my "Johnny Paycheck" moment, I'd been doing tech support for the high speed cable company for almost 7 years. :( I don't think I could go back to dial up after being used to the high speeds. Unfortunately, there are still some areas that don't have access to high speeds yet. It's getting there, but in some places, dial up is still the only alternative. My SIL lives in the boondocks and they just got DSL this year.

Deb

I have DSL at both home and work, and dial up at the other house. Most of the time it is VERY fast (not the dial up, I usually give up on that), but at home there's a wireless router going on and both hubby and the zack are mooching off my computer, something like that. I've noted that it slows it down.

I have cable and normally love it. But I swear it takes forever to get it back up and running if a glitch does happen. Some of you may remember my swearing a few months back. Well recently it was out for 4 days before they finally got it fixed.

I guess I am the only slow poke on here.

because we live here in the mountains we do not have cable in our area. It is funny my neighbors do but when we built they wouldn't bring it to us. (we have direct tv I love it)

Anyhow we have dial-up. We cannot get dsl we could get a satellite but it is still pretty expensive. I need to check with our local cable company to see if it is available yet. It has been 4 years since we moved here. So maybe.

I had AOL DSL and at one point when I was looking for another ISP, I tried the "high speed" dial up with another company...what a joke...high speed my foot....I cancelled in less than a month...I now have AT &T DSL and could never go back...dial up, even the so called high speed, is way too slow!!

I guess I am the only slow poke on here.

because we live here in the mountains we do not have cable in our area. It is funny my neighbors do but when we built they wouldn't bring it to us. (we have direct tv I love it)

Anyhow we have dial-up. We cannot get dsl we could get a satellite but it is still pretty expensive. I need to check with our local cable company to see if it is available yet. It has been 4 years since we moved here. So maybe.

Check and see if there's wireless broadband in your area. The last time I moved I started off with a cable connection but I had an email issue and the final "resolution" was "use yahoo" so I did some checking around and found the wireless broadband. I had thought they only served the rural areas around here but they have service in town too. It's a lot faster than dial-up but I don't think it's quite as fast as cable.

Kathy

. It got me wondering how many of us are using dial up or high speed.

Tell us what you are using and why you like or dislike it.

You missed one in the poll. I have wireless broadband. It's between dsl and cable in speed and about the same price as dsl. I had cable when we first moved over here but they refused to fix my email issue so I refused to use their service. I found the wireless broadband and have been really happy with their service.

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

I've got dial-up. There is one DSL provider around here, but the rates are way too high for me to consider it. I'm in the midst of "bundling" my local, long distance, internet -- and a first for us, *satellite TV!!** -- all for just $20 more than what we were paying for the phone and internet (so the 120 stations on the satellite are costing us $20/month) --

but even then, they still don't have anything more than dial-up..and an "accelerator". I haven't gotten the disks and information to start the internet service yet, so still plugging along with the ordinary dial-up. Which indeed takes FOREVER to download / upload pictures. I usually don't bother even trying.

• 1 month later...

Had dial up for years but have had high speed cable now for about 4 years. Theres nothing like it. Very fast and reliable. I guess it is pricy but I just look at it as just another bill. My daughter has DSL and I think cable is much faster.

I have dial up.....and wished I had DSL or cable....a friend of mine has cable and I love it.....so much faster......the phone co. where I lived merged with another company and they want to anything till after New Years......I don't like dial up you get booted off alot....you will be in the middle of doing something and get booted.....no fun.....

I guess I look at the price of my internet high speed cable as a need rather than a want.

Ray and I use our computer a lot. It is a great way for me to keep in touch with family and friends that are in other parts of Canada, the U.S. and Great Britain.

This particular site has become a mainstay in my life, and I love being able to connnect right now. I also have the option to work from home on days where we've had winter storms, or I'm not feeling quite up to par.

I use the computer cable services far more than I do our tv. I can even watch tv and record programs right here at my computer. I can only record one program at a time though on our computer, where our tv has dual pvr (Canadian version of tyvo), where I can record two program at the same time. The computer has a nice 21" LCD flat screen monitor. Ray keeps our computer stuff right up to date. Just last night he was showing me that we had "memory sticks" that I can plug into the USB cable of any computer terminal. After I asked what a USB cable outlet looked like, he showed me the little doors that open on the front of our computer terminal. There's 2 doors: one is called the Connectivity Center, and the other Personal Media Drive Bay.

I can also play DVD's on our computer.

-Susanne

I have dial up too. We have Direct TV, but the cost of their DSL is outrageous. When will some bright young executive decide to offer cable internet without having to subscribe to their programs? I happen to enjoy our TV service and don't want to change to Charter for that reason. If the internet was offered alone, I would definitely get rid of this slow dial up.

I have dial up. I don't have a problem with it. It's pretty quick. I use the same account to go online at work so I don't have to pay 2 fees. I also can go anywhere in the house with my computer and go online. I have multiple phone lines so DH can go online on his computer at the same time too. How many of you can sit outside and be online? I am happy with the tradeoff of mobility for the extra few seconds of loading time.

I have dial-up, only because that is all they offer here..I have tried all the companies and they are not able to come into the area because the phone company blocked everyone but themselves and they do not have it yet either..go figure..

oh, it takes forever to upload or download...hate it hate it!!!