My name is Lily and I'm new here!

I have a small project that I'm trying to get started, but I am clueless so I joined to get some tips and help from the experts. :)

I'm hoping to make a miniature version of a balcony from the French Quarter in New Orleans in 1:12 scale. If you have any tips on the subject please contact me. I'm looking for some wrought iron balconies to be specific and the wrought iron border around the balcony frame as well.

Something like this:

White_Balcony.jpg

If you have any tips or suggestions, please send them my way. Thank you taking the time to read this.

^_^ Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. :)

If I had to make those and could not buy them anywhere, I would give some thought to making that out of some very thin dowels and some glue stiffened lace? That would be my first attempt at making something so detailed. :) The thought of trying to make that from scratch out of string would be rather daunting but my first thought upon looking at it was lace or iron on applique.

Hi and welcome! You might try googling for laser cut trims for dollhouses. There are some nice looking plastic wrought iron railings available. Good luck. Look forward to pictures!

Welcome! I can't help much but yes, there are some pretty plastic railings out there in the online mini stores. The lace idea is brilliant. It would be worth a try. You could possibly even glue two layers of lace together and then stiffen for more thickness.

Welcome to the little family, Lily. Absolutely lace and dowels for that elaborate trim. If you or someone you know tats or crochets, even better! Paper lace wouldn't be delicate enough. Check out thrift stores for lace trims.

That is one gorgeous railing -- the cost of that in laser-cut or real metal would be quite costly. I think stiffened lace would be a good alternative, as Holly said.

B)

• Like 1

Hit the thrift stores and look at old brooches as well as laces, and invest in some good, sturdy metal snips! I would use E6000 to cobble together a metal railing assembly. Good ol' all-purpose clear-drying white glue and waxed paper to assemble it on will work fine for the dowels & lace.

Hi and welcome! You might try googling for laser cut trims for dollhouses. There are some nice looking plastic wrought iron railings available. Good luck. Look forward to pictures!

I just googled your suggestions and came across exactly what I'm looking for. Not the design I want yet, but I'm in the right ball park now. Thank you so much!

Hello and welcome to our mini family. I'm working on my first house and having a ball! The friends on this site are great for ideas.

www.kimsdollshouseminitures.com

www.moreminis.blogspot.com

www.jennifersprintables.com for wallpaper ect. great site!

www.chautauquaminiatures.com This is a local shop near me and they have everything! If you don't see it on web page you can email them or call. They are great to work with and is the largest store in the Northeast.

Hope to see pictures of your house as you go. Have fun! :D

Thanks again everyone! What I've decided to do is that I'm going to pick out a design that I really like, print it out and cover it with some wax paper and with either resin or some kind of liquid plastic, I'm going to copy the design. Kind of like when people use melted chocolate to design pretty cake decorations. I hope I'm making sense. haha

Hi Lily,

Also, I think it's a Deco Art product at Michaels and other craft stores, but it's like a spackle and comes in a tube (like icing) and you can buy various tips to screw on the tube and then make/trace designs.

B)

Hello Lily and Welcome to the Forum :wave: I think you have a splendid idea about using liquid resin over wax paper. Please let us know how it turns out and share pictures with us. I love the loo and feel of New Orleans. It should be great in mini

Hi, I'm new here too. :) I think your project idea is very cool, I'm sure it will be super pretty and I hope you will post pictures of your progress so I can follow the developments! The "cake-decorating idea" sounds like it could work, and the lace idea also... I love how ingenious these suggestions are, it is nice to see so much creativity! I can't wait to get into that way of thinking that many miniaturists seem to have where they see an everyday object like a bottle cap and immediately have five ideas of how to transform it into miniature treasures... :cheezy: