Looking for Information on Maine

Roxxie

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for anyone who has some information and insite on living in the state of Maine, Particularily Bangor area! Grazhina so nicely shared with me some of her thoughts but I would REALLY appreciate anyone elses input.

I saw a picture of Stephen Kings house there and I am inspired to build one!!!

Thanks so much everyone!

Hugs

Roxy

Don't move there unless you really like snow! One of my best friends from high school lives up there and she says that is the biggest complaint from people who move there. They can't handle the snow 8 months of the year and the generally cold crappy winters. They don't have 'snow days' in Maine, people get up and go to work or school in all kinds of weather. The days can be pretty short up there, too. If you're working, you can expect several months of getting up in the dark and coming home in the dark. In winter the sun isn't up until 8 or 9 am and it can be getting dark at 3pm.

Also, New England isn't like the south. People are friendly, but not in a bubbly outgoing way. You'll tend to think of them as stand-offish, but mostly folks will just be minding their own business. The natives and old timers, especially.

Never been to Maine but I spent time in Rhode Island in the summer and the time I was there you could not tell what the day was really going to be like till noon! I know it is not a fair assesment from me coming from Florida where it is sunny most of the time.

Thanks guys....Actually I am from upstate NY lived there most of my adult life ( south of Buffalo) and in the Adirondacks so I am no stranger to SNOW! I am not a native southerner. I hate snow but after living down here in the heat and humidity, bugs, tornados..........I will take the snow!

I don't have to worry about commuting to work ( retired) and would live in Bangor. I will just have to build more dollhouses to keep busy!!!! Which house do you think looks most like Stephen King's house? LOL

Thats what I was thinking! Plus I always wanted that house!!!!!!!!!! I will have plenty of time to work on it with the LOOOONG Maine winters!!!

After living down here for the past 6 years I am ready for my snow again. I can't take the heat and humidity!!!!

Is there such a thing as a half scale Beacon Hill or Laser cut one? LOL

• 2 months later...

I was born in Maine, in Augusta, but lived for a few years in Bangor. I now live in Montana and it is much like Maine with snow 8 months of the year, bitter cold, and no one complains. We don't have nearly the humidity here though.

I can't think of any other place I would want to live except for Maine and Montana.

It's funny...I lived for 50 years in Maryland, which is more or less like Virginia...and now that I've lived 4 years in Florida I am soooo homesick for that area! The gently rolling hills, the cows, the corn, lightning bugs, the smell of boxwood in the summer, the crisp fall days, etc. I know what it's like to long to go back home!!

It's funny...I lived for 50 years in Maryland, which is more or less like Virginia...and now that I've lived 4 years in Florida I am soooo homesick for that area! The gently rolling hills, the cows, the corn, lightning bugs, the smell of boxwood in the summer, the crisp fall days, etc. I know what it's like to long to go back home!!

Move to the FL panhandle; you'll have all that; we even have wheat fields in Jackson and Franklin Counties.

Actually, my husband and I are planning to move to Gainesville, FL hopefully by the end of the year. It will be a welcome change from South Florida. The newest grandchild is up there... Lilly, who is 8 months old...and DS and his wife are anxious for us to relocate...I know they have lots and lots of babysitting plans for us!! LOL Of course, we will enjoy every minute!!

post-797-0-13265100-1343352936_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Do not be afraid of the weather in Maine. I've lived here all of my life and would not think of leaving. You enjoy four seasons and the winters can range from cold and snowy to fairly mild. In spring, summer an fall the weather is amazing. You have the mountains, lakes and the most beautiful coastline you can imagine. You will love it up here. :)