Wolfie checking in

Wolfie

Just stopping by to say hello. I have updated my profile, so if you are interested in finding out the latest news, you can check my profile.

Can't believe it's 2012!

Wolfie

Gina, I'm so sorry to hear about Doug's rapid decline. I can't imagine the pressure you're under to get him nearer to the hospital and do all the day-to-day things that need to be done as well as care for him. Prayers for peace for both of you winging your way. :hug:

Dear Wolfie, I am so sorry to hear about Doug. I am dealing with something similar here but not quite so serious as you. I am sending you lots of positive vibes and prayers for strength and courage for you during this troubling times. Being a caretaker is a tough job but when it is for such reasons and for a loved one I think it is even more wearing.

I have missed you something fierce, girlfriend! I was afraid Doug had gotten worse, it breaks my heart for you to go through this! You really do need to take care of YOU, too.

Gina, I am so sorry you're going through all this. Being a caregiver can be exhausting, even as you treasure the moments you have. I took care of a beloved uncle for the last 3 years of his life - double knee-replacement, then cancer. My prayers are with you as you take one day at a time.

Just wanted to let you know that Owen sends his greetings also. He misses you but wants you to know he's very happy in his new home :)

post-4286-0-39983800-1337218743_thumb.jp

Hello, Gina and Doug - from Owen and Blackie

Just one big super hug. Twenty four hour caregiving is tough and exhausting speaking from my own situation, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Do take care of yourself. You are giving fantastic and most loving care.

BIg hugs and prayers for you and Doug. We have missed you, and understand that you are very busy dealing with the most important people in your life. Blessings and best wishes to both of you. :hug:

Thank you all! Blowing a big kiss to Owen! He looks happy and great and a natural with his dog!

Being a caretaker is one of the hardest jobs I've ever done. Doug weakens daily, and his personality has changed a lot. His hands don't work well anymore. they are more like paddles than hands now. Can't write, print, or even hold a fork or spoon very well. He is depressed and says "death is better than this." Walking is very difficult, his legs don't work well anymore either. Balance is off. The walker is great, and we have three, but only one of them is his favorite. One has 4 wheels and brakes, but he doesn't feel safe with that one. The other two are standard type walkers, one is upstairs where he is 99% of the time, and one is downstairs.

Medications?! Yes, all kinds. But the one that did him in are the steroids they gave him to "build him up" after his surgery last august. Steroids and older folks don't work. Big mistake. They tore him apart. He is still being weaned off of them and only has one now a day for the next 10 days. He is progressively weaker each day. I don't know what is going to happen next with him.

The other thing depressing for me is my dog. She is 13 now and losing her hearing and eyesight. I can't leave her outside alone as she is wandering around like a lost soul. So out we go on the leash now. She wants her indepenence like she had, but can't do it anymore. and my Bengal is now 15 and slimming down a lot, sleeps much of the time now. this is all very upsetting to me, as I fear I will have three going terminal on me.

We found a new house in Helena, but can't purchase it until this one sells. The owner is holding it for us however, she doesn't want to spend another winter in Montana. So keep fingers crossed ours sells so we can move to where it's only 1/2 a mile from the VA facility.

Again, thank you all!

Wolfie

Oh dear Wolfie... It's so good to hear from you. Been missing you so much.

On the flip side, so sad to hear how bad all the ongoing troubles have become.

Too bad you couldn't rent out your beautiful woods home so later on when things improve again, you'd have it to go back too. Sounds like it is a bit of heaven on earth up there in your neck of the woods.

Caretaking is the most difficult job there is. It is fraught with many different things such as physical labor but more dramatically the social isolation and emotional roller-coaster that you have to live on.

Making all the tough decisions that have to be made for others benefit doesn't always feel good either.

I've been down that road of full time care with my hubs (his ultimately improved - Thank the Lord) and with 4 other close family members (they have since passed on). It took every shred of my being to stay right side up. Accepting help is not my better quality. It was so hard to let others in. Please don't be like I was. Get some help so you don't self-destruct in this whole process. Take some time for yourself even though it feels weird.

Good luck and many prayers for you and your entire clan.

Visit us more often, we love hearing from you.

Oh my. I am so sorry for all you are going thru. Many many hugs and prayers are being sent your way. I've missed seeing you here but truly understand why. I really dont have the words to help you but will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Huge mini ((HUGS)) to you Wolfie. I was thinking about you the other and day and was wondering where you have been. I had a feeling Doug was not doing well. Please stop by when you can and keep us posted your creatvity and wealth of knowledge is missed :)

Gentle hugs

Rhonda.

Oh Wolfie! I'm so sorry to hear what you two are going through!

When I worked in a hospital I was shocked at the number of caregivers who divorced their husbands after they became ill or were injured. To take care of your husband through everything you're going through is true love.

My family will have yours in our thoughts and prayers.