Sad News

chapchap73

Talk about a crazy week! My hubby came home last night with the news that he is probably going to be laid off in the next few days. Just when I thought things were going along pretty well, this happens. Reminds me of an old proverb I read somewhere, "Life is what happens while you are making other plans." Thank God we don't have to worry about our housing; we moved back home with my parents several years ago, I was diagnosed with MS about 3 months later. The kicker is that we will probably have to go on COBRA for our health insurance. My meds are over $2800 per month! I could go off them, but then I run the risk of hospitalization without insurance. Since we've been down that road before (still paying for it) this is not something we really want to do. I have been toying with going for disability, but that can also be a nightmare. It may turn out to be the route we have to take. MS is such a *itch disease. If you saw me you wouldn't know I'm sick at all, but I've been unable to drive for about 2 1/2 years and I have to take naps every day like a 3-year old. My mini-time is probably not going to be compromised, but there is no mini budget for the forseeable future. Glad I have plenty of projects to keep me busy until hubby finds something. He always lands on his feet and doesn't quit! This is not our first time in this rodeo; in 17 years of marriage it has happened more than I like to remember, but God brings us through!

Keep on creating! Your eye-candy keeps me going and I'm gonna need it :(:)

Sarah, I'm so very sorry about the possibility of your husband being laid off and the stress that must be causing. I echo what Brae said about starting the process for disability. I do believe there is a medicaid component to SSI. Your health is of utmost importance and your medicines vital. Sending super positive thoughts your way.

COBRA isn't bad, but it doesn't last for very long. The worst part is how you are treated by the doctors and receptionists. It's good that you have family close so you can support one another. And you have us.

Sorry to hear this news :( sending hugs your way. So many of us have different illnesses that we have to cope with. The ones that can not be seen by the eye sometimes can be more difficult to deal with because of judgement from others. I pray your husband is able to find work soon. This must be a very difficult time for you.

Praying for you and your family, Sarah. Since you do have mini-time, without a budget - maybe it's a good time to learn all the DIY projects :bookread: My mini-budget got knocked into the next county this year, so I am pursuing more How-To techniques. Hope your DH finds more work soon.

You guys are awesome! Thanks just doesn't seem like enough to say :) I've been on the phone for most of the last 3 hours; lawyers, doctors, social security people. I can feel the headache beginning.

Cat, we've been on COBRA before. For us the toughest part is really finding the money to pay for it..wait that's the toughest part of everything :lol:

Tracy, what you said is so true! If I had a dollar for every time someone said,"You don't look all that sick." I wouldn't need to worry at all. I'm just so thankful that it's not worse than it is.

Again...Thanks It really means a lot to me.

• Like 1

Sarah, Some pharmaceutical companies have programs for certain drugs for those needing help in obtaining. Hugs!

Janet is sooooo right. My Mom does this and saves thousands.

Sarah, you will be in my prayers. I have a disease you can't see that controls my life. I completely understand the toll it takes. People who don't understand..........well, it's totally uncool.

As for ssi, people like my husband gladly pay their taxes HOPING it HELPS people like you. Please, as a favor to all of us who don't want you suffering any more than you have to, fight for every dime you can get. Please. Having to live like you do isn't fair.

And who is it on here that displays a quote about God making room for something better? Maybe that is what's happening with your husbands work.

Please, keep up your posts here if you want encouragement. I can't thank the forum enough for support they've given me.

Prayers & giant hugs coming your way, Morgan

Sarah, Google "Free drug card" or "free prescription discount card" or something similar and check out the results.

I'm on medicare without the supplemental prescription insurance. My eye drops were costing me about $70 per month. I picked up one of these cards in a doctor's waiting room a few months ago and presented it at the Walmart pharmacy. It dropped the cost to $14. The company knows nothing about me, no background health history, nothing. Except that my name is on the prescription, they don't even know who I am. It's worth checking.

Sarah, prayers and hugs from Michigan are being sent your way during this time. When others give you that "look", just remember that you have the whole Greenleaf family right behind you!

Hang in there Sarah! Hopefully your husband will find an even better job, one that pays more and has excellent benefits.

As far as the disability, go for it. Even though I cried when my Neurologist told me my MS had gotten to the point that I needed to apply, I swallowed my pride and went. I'm thankful that I got it, even though I'd much rather still be working.

I have to take naps too, and don't drive very often, only on my "good" days, and then not far. Not too long ago I gave in and got a handicapped parking permit, but use it only when I have to. From one MSer to another, we may have MS, but it will never have us!

Take care, rest often and know that you and your loved ones are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sarah I feel for you and your husband. I understand your situation all to well as my husband recently lost his job as well, it was completely unexpected and quite a shock to the system. I'm trying to look on the positive side but it sure is hard to find the positives in this kind of situation. I also understand all to well about MS and what kind of challenges you are facing on a daily basis. My mother in law passed away of MS a few years ago it is a nasty disease and it took her at a very young age. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband during this very unfortunate time, and I hope all works out for you.

Well, a bit of an update. We are still employed thank the Lord, but even more important, they are going to continue our pay our health insurance!!! My husband is going to have to do sales for the forseeable future instead of his other job; we will be eating lot of mac and cheese, but I don't need to worry about doctors or paying for medication which is a HUGE relief. I am going to go ahead with the SSDI application just because it really is time; I had been trying to ignore it because so many people are so much sicker than me.

My Greenleaf family is so wonderful!!!!! I love all of you guys, you've been such an encouragement to me this week..I can't thank you enough :flowers:

• Like 2

I'm so glad to hear that not only is your husband still employed, but you also have continued health coverage. I bet that is a load off of your mind. Mac and Cheese is a step up from ramen, maybe you can splurge on bacon bits from time to time.