The Little Dollhouse Company and the crooked Tudor House

Today I took a road trip down to Toronto to The Little Dollhouse Company store, for my birthday (on tuesday) :wub: :w00t:

It was my first time, and I'll tell you right now I'm already planning my next trip down (its about 50 minutes south of me, but with 2 children under 3 and no access to a vehicle/babysitter during the week makes it difficult!!).

The people there probably thought that I was a looney (or just a normal miniaturist??) because my eyes were darting all over the place looking at all the tiny little things in every. little. corner. I could not maintain eye contact during any conversation!! :crazyeyes: I'm sure this is how a lot of miniature stores are, and I can only imagine some of the ones that possibly extist throughout the world. (I think I would need to wear an eye patch if I were ever to go anywhere bigger than this so that I wouldn't end up with some wonky eye becuase they are both trying to go in different directions trying to see every corner!).

While I was in the middle of conversation I fell in love with two paricular dollhouses. One was a custom/scratch built that was similar in style to the Queen Anne kit. Not sure who it was that built it, but it was just absoultely amazing and inspiring. I wouldn't even know where to send anyone to see a picture, nor did I snap any while I was there... but if anyone knows who made it or where we can see more pictures I would love to know!

The other house stopped me dead in the middle of conversation. :jawdrop:

It was another custom/scratch built one, but this was a Tudor style house and it was somewhat crooked, and just absoultely to. die. for. It had thick wood that looked as though it had been sanded down and stained from banches possibly? They were very thick, somewhat rounded and imperfect. It was three stories high with one room on each level.

Again, I have no idea who built it or where pictures of it can be seen, but I would love to know because I need to spend more time looking (and drooling) over these houses. Please, any information on this house would make me sleep better at night. LOL. :D

Sidenote: one my google searching for this tudor house I found some very interesting and inspiring pictures of crooked tudor houses! some even IRL, not just DHs!

I went to the images site that you posted, Rebecca. I was very surprised to see my Crooked Cottage in quite a few photos. I just recently acquired it from a friend. It was built by Graham Wood in England.

I am currently turning it into a Tudor Broiderer's Workshop.

I also love Tudor Half Timber, and especially the crooked ones. This one was one of his early houses and has a few glitches. The front wall opens, but wouldn't stay open when I got it... A little hard to work on. And the wiring left a lot ot be desired. Just be aware of some of the little quirks of crooked cottages. I am figuring them out and blogging about the solutions as I go. Please come visit.

I hope that you get one. Happy Birthday!

• Like 1

I love the Tudor style as well! I have been following Casey's blog and enjoying her crooked house.

Rebecca, you made me laugh about the comment about your eyes in the miniatures shop! I am the same way. There is always so much to look at and if you were rich, you could walk out of the store with hundreds of bags!

Happy Birthday as well!

Sam, you want real torture? Try working in a mini shop. I did when I first started out....I took home VERY small pay checks...You have heard of taking it out in trade???LOL

:lol: That's funny Casey, if I worked in a miniatures shop, I would never get to leave with a pay check at all! In fact I would end up owing the store hundreds of dollars!

Sam, you want real torture? Try working in a mini shop. I did when I first started out....I took home VERY small pay checks...You have heard of taking it out in trade???LOL

:lol: That's funny Casey, if I worked in a miniatures shop, I would never get to leave with a pay check at all! In fact I would end up owing the store hundreds of dollars!

I actually can't imagine that!!!! I worked at Payless shoes while I did my University degree and I ALWAYS had new shoes, but hardly $$ for groceries!! LOL I wouldn't be able to work in a mini store... unless perhaps I owned it myself. ;)

The problem of owning it yourself would be that every time someone wanted to actually buy a one off item or an artisan piece, I would be too sad to see it go and wouldn't sell it! :swordfight:

I couldn't bear to see people touching the items either :hide: , so owning a miniatures shop or working in one is not for me!