Why I have not been posting for a long long time

Wolfie

On July 23rd at 1:27AM, my beloved Douglas passed away in a nursing home end of life care facility. As most of you know he was sick for a long, long time. Basically he passed away of his Myopathy which is a form of Muscular Dystrophy. It finally reached his heart and totally destroyed him. He died peacefully in a morphine induced coma. I had just seen him that afternoon, and went home around 6:00 in the evening, and the nurse said she would call me if there was any change. And true to her word, around midnight she called and said I should be there very soon. A friend drove me to the hospital as I was in no shape to drive. But we got there 15 minutes too late. We spent an hour with him in his room, praying, hugging him, kissing him, and wishing him a good journey.

We were married in a ceremony at the hospital on the 10th of July, with his chldren and myself, nurses, doctor, and yes, even a patent in attendance. It was an incredibly sad/funny/serious time in our lives together and it was comforting to be his wife. Tough we had shared 19 years together in common-law marriage, that certificate means a lot here in Montana.

Also another sadness happened on June 28th, when I had to put my beloved Australian Shepherd to sleep. She was suffering in her old age of nearly 14 years and she was in pretty sad shape. So I have two big losses in my life right now. Again, the house is so empty without her.

Our home is up for sale here, but nothing is morning right now. So I may have to spend the winter here, which will be incredibly lonely without both of them. thank goodness for my neighbors who are rallying around and making sure that I am not lonely.

My new last name is Kendrick, a proud name. One which I shall honor the rest of y life.

Hi Wolfie - glad to see you back on the forum, but so sorry for your loss - your double loss. My mother and aunt and I just drove out to NE and went through Montana (of course) and I was thinking about you along the way. Couldn't remember just where you are in that huge expanse of a state, but wouldn't want to impose at this time anyway. We stayed on I-90.

Maybe you should stop by an animal shelter and find an older dog that is lonely and needs some love - you could comfort each other through the long winter.

Sending love and hugs to you, Gina - and Owen sends his love also. :console:

Dear Mrs Kendrick: My heart goes out to you. Your post really hit me and made me want to get in my car and come and give you a big hug. I will keep you in my prayers to find the needed comfort to ease the pain of your losses. Hugs and hugs and hugs to you.

I am so sorry for your losses, Gina. Please know you are in the thoughts and prayers of many people here, including my own. Many, many hugs for you. Please do take care of yourself.

Gina,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is one I dread and fear may not be too far away for me and my DH. I know this has been a very difficult time for you. Just know that we, your mini family, are here for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Beverly

Your post brought a tear to my eye, I'm sorry to hear so much heartache came your way over such a short time. When the time is right for you, you should consider CJ's advice; dog are wonderful loving companions (as you know) and really take the empty feeling out of a home. My heart goes out to you and you will be in my thoughts.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. May the memories you shared together be a comfort to you in this time of great loss.

:hug: {{Hugs}} Glad to hear that you are surrounded by loving friends and family.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, but glad to hear you enjoyed 19 wonderful years together! And sorry for the loss of your pet as well. When you feel ready, get yourself another furry friend to help fill the void. Things will not be easy, but you will get through it. And you will always have friends who are willing to lend an ear when you feel the need to talk, or give comfort when you feel the need for it. Take things one day at a time...you are in our prayers.

Thank you all for your kind words, prayers and good thoughts. I plan on getting another dog soon, but not another husband. In fact I'm thinking about two Welsh Pembroke Corgi's. I need my portable doorbells to love and hug, and spoil rotten.

It's been 6 years actually that Doug has been sick with one thing or another. Being his caretaker has been the hardest job I've ever had. We had the ambulance rides, the fire department coming to help me pick him up when he has fallen, the neighbors helping me get him in and out of the car, and back on his feet. The joys and the sorrows over the years have about done me in. I feel numb, and cannot stop crying. tomorrow will be another sad day as I have to go to the crematorium and pick up his remains and bring them home. And a trip to Social Security and our lawyer is also going to happen tomorrow, so it will be a very busy day. thank you all again for your very kind words.

I've missed the group. All of my doll making and dollhouse things are packed away as our home is on the market, and I'll be moving soon to a lovely new home in Helena, Montana - the other side of the Rockies. It actually is handicap accessible and Doug and I picked it out together. this is provided the current house sells soon, otherwise I'm looking at spending a winter up here by myself. Not a pleasant thought.

Again, thank you all.

Just take it one day at a time. It is heartbreaking to watch love ones suffer. But I truly believe he will always be with you in spirit, just watch for the signs..........praying for you and your family.

• Like 1

Gina my sympathy to you on the loss of your beloved Doug. You had so many wonderful years together. How often I have thought of you and wondered how you were doing. Your crying is your body, mind and soul healing. Please take care of yourself and let time heal your wounds. your Greenleaf family is here whenever you need us. It is also so hard to loose a much beloved pet. I think the adivce to adopt another furry friend who needs love and care is good advice. You will comfort each other. I only wish I lived closer so I could come visit . Rita in MN