Hello from New Orleans

Hello everyone, I'm Celeste and I'm from New Orleans. I've been collecting miniatures for about a year now. I have a Playmobil Victorian Dollhouse that I purchased for myself when my mom got cancer two years ago. It's pretty, but I'm ready to move on. I've already purchased several pieces of Bespaq half scale furniture, and some Reutter porcelain pieces. I've got my eye on the Fairfield to display my beautiful furniture. I've never built a dollhouse before, so I'm a little nervous. What all do I need before i start to build? I really love the gallery pictures, and the different ways people decorate the same house. I'm already inspired. :)

Hi Celeste, and :welcome: to the forum! I live in New Orleans part of the year and Matt (MadTex1967) lives there. Another forum member, whose name escapes me at the moment, lives on the north side of the lake. The Black Butterfly on Royal Street and the doll shop on the upriver side of Jackson Square are the only two places I know for minis in the area. And I'm not so sure about the doll shop. She seemed to be clearing out the miniatures when I was there earlier this year.

Welcome to the little family, Celeste; I'm 200 miles East of you, just outside of Pensacola, FL. I built two Fairfields, one of them inside out, to be halves of a Bar harbor summer cottage, and ended up making all the furniture for it/ them. Basic needs are a good sturdy knife (I prefer a utility knife with lots of new blades), emeryboards for sanding itty places and a sanding block for edges, a steel carpenter's square (doubles as a straight edge if you're going to scribe your floors), a couple of rolls of masking tape (or paainter's tape) and a good wood glue. I also like spackling compound for a number of things.

Hi Celeste!

Kathie is correct about the mini shops. But last time I checked the doll shop on Jackson Square, she had only Bespaq 1" scale, and marked at 50% off was still over priced - A tester bed at half price was $175! Black Butterfly is a good resource.They do have a website, so you get an idea of their stock.

Welcome to the forum and the Fairfield build! It is next on my list!!

Matt