Beacon Hill Front Door - Hinges to open in or out?

Minsanity

I'm ready to do the front door and while it is not "natural" for a door to open out, i'm thinking i should hinge it that way as opening in would be difficult to do and the doors would but up against the stair. My little people would get annoyed with each other every time they had little visitors.

Has anyone put hinges on the BH to open out? I am a bit concerned about the recesses in the trim.

Thanks for any suggestions!

No, I made my BH front doors opening in... It was difficult and yes, it does open up right against the stairs... http://www.greenleaf...&showentry=1915

But I made my Pierce front doors opening out; they're a bit wider but same design principles:

http://www.greenleaf...ery&image=14833 The Pierce was an early build and once I figured out that inward-opening doors were "natural", it bugged me too much to do otherwise from then on! <ahttp://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/\html\style_emoticons\/tongue.png' alt=':p'> But you're right, it's more difficult, and it's always been a struggle for me. With the Magnolia's doors, I decided to take my time in mounting the hinges, carving out little spaces in door and frame to make proper space for them for a better fit. Still not anywhere near perfect, but getting better: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=82&showentry=2449

My problem with hinging the doors between the edge and the frame was always those pesky brads/ nails;; with their rounded heads they still cause the hinges to bind. That's why I finally went with chamois strips and the "sandwich" approach! And that way the door will open whichever way you want them to (and because all my RL doors open in, so do all my mini doors, now).

Down here in South Florida, doors generally open out....I assume it because of hurricanes...the doors won't blow inwards during a hurricaine. This is the only place I've ever seen doors on houses that open out!

That's new, maybe added to the building codes after Andrew. When we went back to visit my childhood house in West Palm Beach during my 50th PBHS reunion the door still opened inward. Screen and storm doors do open outward, but it would be "interesting" to try hinging and hanging a storm or screen door that also opened inward!

As always - thank you! i think i will try to have it open in - seems with the frame the way it is, this would be easier anyway.

Forgot to say, something that I tried with the Magnolia was applying the hinges to the frames and doors before installing them as a set. It took me a while to figure out that this is alot easier than installing the hinges onto the frame already glued to the house! :p

That's new, maybe added to the building codes after Andrew. When we went back to visit my childhood house in West Palm Beach during my 50th PBHS reunion the door still opened inward. Screen and storm doors do open outward, but it would be "interesting" to try hinging and hanging a storm or screen door that also opened inward!

That could be....all newer homes have outward opening doors. Even our apartment building has outward opening doors and that is about 20 years old.

• 1 month later...

Over here doors in general open outwards, in shops etc it is the fire code but it is also the norm for private home doors, so for me that is how I do all my mini doors as well.

Looking forward to see/hear about how you do

Hugs

Thanks Anna! I did decide to do mine inward since in the end it was easier. I could not figure out how to easily attach the hinges to the trim on the outside. With the recessing in the trim there was not really a flat edge to attach the hinges to. I have a picture of it in my gallery (although to be honest it still isnt glued in :-)