Not what I expected

heidiiiii

I went to the ENT on Friday because my Meneire`s disease has been acting up more then usual and I figured I needed new meds or something. I end up getting a new hearing test and two balance tests done. He asked if I wanted the good news or the bad news. I said Good News!

The good news is that Meneire`s disease is on the mild side. I also have some brain irritation that is probably attributed to vestibular migraines. He prescribed me a diuretic and he upped my anti anxiety that i take specifically for the MD. I was like, that is the good news?

The bad news is pretty bad. Natalie was with me at my visit. I had an event happen that made me call the ENT office to make an appointment. I was sitting here, drinking my morning coffee and reading. All of a sudden I heard a loud scraping noise, then I started to feel weird in head and body. I stood up and for a second I thought that maybe we had an earthquake. Then I walked over and looked out the window. The neighbor was pulling patio furniture across the cement patio.Afterward I felt sick and offbalance for the rest of the day. It felt like when I would get a MD attack but very very different. Next day I was fine and it has not happened since. But I called the office the next day for an appointment.

That description and results of a balance test tells him that I may have something called superior canal dehiscence syndrome or SCDS <---link.

He does not want to do a cat scan right now. We are going to wait and see. If I get another *attack* like the first one before my 6 weeks check up, I have to call the office and let him know. If I get them few and far between, we will play it by ear. If I get them every month, we will have to do surgery. Oh, this ENT is the best of the best of the best and he suggested that I get second opinion later. If we did a cat scan now and confirmed, then he would be inclined that surgery needs to be done. In this case, it is better to be ignorant because the surgery is a major major big deal.

Surgery is not for the weak. The repair is on the bone of top of the inner ear. He told me that I would have to have a hole drilled in skull up behind ear, a neurosurgeon would be in charge of pushing my brain aside, and then they plug up the hole. Yeah...brain! He is a very straight forward Dr and he does not hold back or over indulge. If he is telling me this is most likely so, I believe him. You cannot fake those balance tests...they are involuntary movements. So he is basically 75% sure. Here is

of a woman that had the surgery.

I am going under the assumption that either this attack was a one time event or they will be few and far between. If that is the case, I guess I can live with it.

Have any of you heard of this?

I was NOT expecting this at all. I figured I would have a med change or find out my hearing was worse (which it is not). The ringing in my ears is more pronounced and so is the fullness in my ears but that can be part of any of the three things. Up until this point, my biggest thing was most likely getting a hysterectomy in the Fall. Now that is definitely on the back burner. That is the least of my worries, huh?

I think I will crack open a 1/2 scale dollhouse to forget what is going on.

No surgery talk until cat scan. So we are waiting to see how bad it is. Once every few months, I could live with. Plus he said it is not progressive. So how ever I have it, is how it is.

I am trying very hard to be positive.

Oh Heidi, lots of hugs and prayers for you. Just read through the links you sent. So complicated.

My child has extensive ear problems too, and will be undergoing major surgery later this year, so I sympathize with you.

yes, break out that dollhouse you have been wanting to do and enjoy it!

I started the Diuretic today and my half scale Rosedale kit. I got as far as finishing the staircase. The pill made me feel really weird and woozy. I will take it again tomorrow because I know eventually, it will get better.

Wish me luck!

Diuretics lower your blood pressure (it's usually the first med prescribed for hypertension) and it makes you woozy when you sit up or stand up suddenly. I take my BP meds in the evening, with supper. I used to take them at bedtime, but our new prescription carrier put on the label of one of them to take it with food.

Yeah. I take it around 2pm. That way it does not ruin the entire day. Saturday was bad. Sunday was better. Hoping today is even better. I had another incident. Noise from the garbage truck. I think if I really do have this hole, it is new. Because this stuff never happened before. So now I am feeling icky in the head. I should rest but I cannot rest every single time this happens or all I will do is lay on the couch.

I am taking it easy though and staying home.

I called the ENT office to let them know it happened again.