I won the scholarship to guild school

brandan

You are very kind, You, for being a part of this community and making miniatures yourself, are keeping the mini art form alive as well !

Everyone here who makes miniatures, shares miniatures, and teaches shows the world that the art form will not die but become part of the future as well.

A friend of mine was saying how mini life was dying the other day and it struck me so hard that he would say that after he has been in business for 25 years. I told him how important he is to the community and that the art form MUST not die. After all, I have only been doing it for 6 years and I need it ! Our addictions need it lol.

Absolutely! I just look at the galleries here on GL and am stunned in awe at the intricate beauty that the members here are creating - all on their own. The castles with the thousands of bricks and the French and English mansions. It is incredible. The love for a hobby is addictive - and one is just not able to put it down. When I was building my Victoria's Farmhouse, my husband would nag me to "put it down for a while". But I would sneak in a few more hours and pass by him hiding some sort of piece of wood in my hand. He would say, "I see a piece of wood in your hand"! We would laugh. Even my beloved Greyhound, Bella, was whining at me because I sacrificed a good bit of my time with her to the house. She would come up to me and harshly nudge me with her nose until I hugged her. I feel that there is alot of passion on this forum that will never die. :D:banana:

...A friend of mine was saying how mini life was dying the other day and it struck me so hard that he would say that after he has been in business for 25 years. I told him how important he is to the community and that the art form MUST not die...
Say it isn't so! Where will I go if Ron's goes?

• 5 months later...

ugh been a stressful few months, had to change all of our plans and not move ....two family deaths and lots of stress but Castine is one week away !!!! I am excited adn a little scared but soooo excited. The packing has started and my 94 year old grandma's wish was that I let nothing stop me and that I had to go to Castine when I wanted to cancel the trip. Today I celebrated her tremendous life and had a beautiful funeral and am ready to wake up tomorrow and live with as much joy and life as that woman showed in one finger!

love you grandma God I will miss you,

Brandaen

• Like 3

I'm sorry for your loss but move towards all you will learn and accomplish on this trip.

Show her proud !! You'll feel her beaming right there beside you.

Brandaen, what a wonderful legacy she has given you--to continue forward with a full heart. I'm sorry for your loss, and wish you much inspiration and success at Castine.

I've been away a lot lately. Trying to catch up - what a nice surprise to see that you got this chance! Congratulations! Are you driving from Florida to Maine? If you need a stop over in Connecticut - let me know. Our house is only a few minutes off of I-95 north. You are so talented already, what you will learn there will really perfect your skills!

That is so kind of you to say , thank you truly !

I'm flying up , I think the drive would just about kill me lol. I did the drive from Florida to Washington, D.C. Once . I promised never again , of course I did tre drive in one day lol. But I was a younger man then.

That is so kind of you to say , thank you truly !

I'm flying up , I think the drive would just about kill me lol. I did the drive from Florida to Washington, D.C. Once . I promised never again , of course I did tre drive in one day lol. But I was a younger man then.

We go to Manassas, Virginia to see our youngest son - we live in Connecticut - and it is just more driving than I like to do! Hate the bridges in New York and the traffic. Flying is definitely the way to go!

• 1 month later...

It was an amazing trip and just beautiful there from what I got to see lol ! I was busy everyday but so well worth it all !! The chance of a lifetime and the most amazing kindest most generous people outside of our wonderful forum that you will ever meet !!

I am currently making tons of little weavings and my bday present was a used lathe my lovely Joe sound for 200.00 !! works brilliantly and is just hard to step away from !

look for pics in my profile

Brandaen

• Like 1

Brandaen, the photos are impressive! The tiny creel is hand woven?Do I see the results of a weaving class, poly clay class and upholstery? Do tell us how the program was run.

Not surprised that you found kind and generous people there. Like you, they all were once us, eh? ("us" meaning enthusiastic amateurs honing our skills.)

lol thanks Kathie !! the creel is hand woven from Irish waxed thread and Japanese tiny itty bitty wire lol very time consuming but it's amazing !

I also took Iulia Chin Lee's wood turning class, which I adored enough to get a lathe. The food was incredible and I was definitely exhausted by the end of the 11 days. 4 classes was definitely a bit much and three seminars but there is no TV so I think I would have been bored without the classes. The sun comes up too dang early for my taste thanks to how far north Catine is so each day I was awake before 5 am except when I tossed a blanket over the window lol. My last seminars would end by 9:45 pm so lonnnnggggg day but soooo worth every second !!

The school is in a military academy so the dorms are really plan and flat beds etc but I was too tired to give a hoot lol. But food !! oh my I can't even tell you how dang good the food is ! IGMA is definitely worth the price you really do get your moneys worth when you think about it all ! And the instructors take classes too which is the best part, they want to learn new things too and they are right next to you the whole time and they are brilliant !

I have started saving money to go back, I may not succeed but I am going to really really try !! I would tell anyone to try and go or try for the scholarship like I did! You never know and it was incredible !!

Brandaen