Fresnel lens model for future lighthouse build

otterine

Jasper Inlet Light (to be built from a Woodline Victorian kit) is slated for breaking ground in 2014, based on current workload. :D But, I've been thinking about the lantern room from the beginning, figuring that would be one of the more difficult things to do.

While I was searching around online for options, I stumbled across the Harbour Lights Fresnel lens collectible series from the early 2000s. I lucked out and found this particular model new at City Lights Collectibles for a great price.

It is roughly 8 1/4" high including the wood base. The glass itself measures 5 5/8" tall. The glass portion is attached to the dark green plastic base, so the entire removable unit measures 7 1/8" high. I found a reference stating that third order lenses are roughly 4' 8" tall, though I'm not sure if that means only the glass or the metal base as well. Even if this replica isn't exactly 1:12 scale, I think it will make for a beautiful lantern room. I will use it without the wood base for a more realistic look.

gallery_4679_5847_22272.jpg

Because the glass and filigree base are removable, I can easily swap out the lighting mechanism when I build the lantern room. Cir-kit has a flashing beacon on the miniature market that would work wonderfully. How exciting!

gallery_4679_5847_6283.jpg

More pics in the gallery: http://www.greenleaf...lery&album=5847

Yes, I have both the vintage kit and the light now. It's hard not to break open the kit!

This particular light isn't to scale, but because there is indeed a wide range of lens sizes I think it will work.

I have builds I want to do and a particular order, but who knows, right?!! :lol:

• 4 months later...

I got a good deal on the other Harbour Lights Fresnel lens I was seeking for Jasper Inlet Light. This is the 3 1/2" Order Fresnel lens.

It's hard to say which I like better, so it will just depend on which one fits best. As with the first, the brass and glass model is detachable from the base. This one does something the first one didn't - it flashes! :D

gallery_4679_5847_13009.jpg

My artist's model here is 5.75" tall, equivalent to someone 5' 9" tall.

gallery_4679_5847_42658.jpg

• Like 1

Living on the coast, we are able to go to see lots of lighthouses - From Martha's Vineyard, to Cape Cod, to Block Island and Shelter Island, N.Y. I am fascinated with them. I think what you have found is great! I can't wait to see what you come up with and hope you don't wait until 2014!

I've not been to Martha's Vineyard, but I've seen the ones on Block Island and Nantucket as well as many others in the U.S. and Canada - even one in Scotland. :yes: Love lighthouses! It will take the rest of 2013 to finish my current projects, but 2014 isn't that far away....

I've not been to Martha's Vineyard, but I've seen the ones on Block Island and Nantucket as well as many others in the U.S. and Canada - even one in Scotland. :yes: Love lighthouses! It will take the rest of 2013 to finish my current projects, but 2014 isn't that far away....

Some years back my husband and I were on Block Island when they moved Southeast Light from the edge of the bluffs. National Geographic was filming the inch by inch move and it was interesting. We got to help out there doing odd jobs for the day as volunteers. I have a T-shirt that says "I helped move Southeast Light" and it has a picture of a woman and man pulling a rope with the lighthouse attached! Love it!

• Like 1