Egg Carton Stones - My First Attempt

mygrommi

I asked ladies where I work to save egg cartons and beverage carry-out trays from fast food restaurants for me and I have accumulated quite a few. I am going to put the "stones" on the base of my dollhouse and have painted the base a dark grey. I've looked at all the photos on this forum and read the pros and cons of using grout. Anything I can do to minimize time and extra work is appealing to me, so I was hoping not to have to grout the stone.

To make a sample to see how well I could do at it, I quickly tore some pieces (grey and brown) and glued them to a sample board and put on one coat of Modge Pod. This only a few minutes and I was amazed at the results and how real I thought the stones look. I thought this might be hard - but I was surprised at how easy it was. I am happy with the look of the stone without grout.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do the base of the house yet, due to some family priorities that have put my minis on hold recently. But I hope to soon get back to work. Just wanted to share my sample photo for anyone considering using egg cartons. I like doing the stones because tearing them is preferable to me than cutting bricks which would be more precise work.

If I can do this, anyone can. Here is a photo of the stone sample and of the house the stones will be applied to. They will go on the grey base of the house which will hide the wiring. I will also put them on the chimneys which are brick from when I originally did the house many years ago.

Renea

post-2033-0-63415200-1350744594_thumb.jp

post-2033-0-65838700-1350745164_thumb.jp

• Like 1

They really do look real! Just for the heck of it when I try this I might grate a little chalk pastel in different earthy colors and brush them randomly over the sealed "stones" and then seal them again, just to see how I like the effect.

Agreed, this is a surprisingly easy technique! I've used it several times this year and have been so happy with the results.

I like to apply brown and gray accents with a dry brush before sealing. I got a bunch of "oops" samples at Home Depot in stone-like colors, for 50 cents a piece. It helps to give the stones a bit more variety so they're not just the straight colors of the egg cartons. (Also since I mostly had one gray color of egg carton, it kept all my stones from looking the same...)

Someone on this forum, whose name escapes me now, did a beautiful job on her stone work on a Victorian house and did not use grout. She was my inspiration and I don't have time to look up her name right now. She used various colors of paint to enhance the stones after gluing them on and hers looked great.

I might end up using some paint also when I put the stones on the house, but thought I would just see how it would look without adding any paint when I did this quick sample and I was surprised and pleased without using any paint.

Renea

• Like 1

Oh, yes, Emily, it was you who inspired me so much with your stones and your Home Depot "oops" paint. I printed the pictures of your stone work for guidance. There are others on the forum with great egg carton work, but yours just "spoke to me". I like the "no-grout" results and the fact that it is one less step to do.

Sorry I couldn't remember your name when I posted a few minutes ago. Funny that you replied instantly.

Renea

Brae, you know how much I admire your work which is always so perfect and you are also a tremendous inspiration to me. I love your egg carton bricks, but I went the easy route since tearing the stones is so much easier than cutting bricks - and I have also have always loved stonework on real life houses.

Renea

Aw, thank you!!! :flowers: I'm also a firm believer in knowing the limits of your own sanity. :lol: If it would drive you batty to do it, then please don't do it. :D I have a rare gene of not minding, and even enjoying, tedium for projects like these.

Haha Renea, yep those were mine! Glad you found them inspiring. I did the stones instead of bricks for the exact same reason you mentioned - I didn't want to cut all those little bricks either. :ohmy: Maybe someday I'll try it, but for now I much prefer the random tearing! (Brae's are gorgeous though, I especially love the Heritage's chimney!)