Philadelphia Miniatura

Oh Holly you are so nice for my ego. I am right proud of the studio. :thumb:

I try not to sell myself to short, but I just know I have to work harder at "visioning" things.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back! But Right now my little guy need attention. I missed him soooo much. I can quickly say that I had an absolutely wonderful time. I will go into MUCH more detail later and share the few picutures I took. There was NO ONE taking pictures andI felt very wierd about doing it. I was overwhelmed!!

Smooches! 'til later!

Reading this thread has really whetted my appetite for the three shows I'll be going to in March, I hope! (I have to make hotel reservations, and hope I'll find a wheelchair accessible room!!!)

I'm glad to hear that not everything is in the $12,000 range!! My husband would flip out if he saw that...not that I'd even consider it, but he'd wonder why he was "wasting his time". He doesn't understand the "eye candy" thing, or window shopping :thumb:

Is anyone else going to the shows in the Chicago area in March? It would be fun to meet up, somehow, if only in passing!

I plan to be at the Chicago Tom Bishop show this Spring. Are you gonna take any classes?

No, no classes this time. As "virgin", I'm just going to look around...and probably shop... I will be going to the Tom Bishop show, though. When it gets closer, we'll have to see if our schedules will allow us to meet!

Ok, so I’m home, settled in and pics are uploaded. Unfortunately I was having trouble with my normal photo site so I had to upload to Webshots. Here is the link to my photos on Webshots

I left my house at about 10:30am On Friday and arrived in Cherry Hill, NJ, just miles away from Philadelphia, by about 12:30. I got my bags and checked in at the front desk. When I got to my room I found the AMAZING view of the Delaware River (?). Then I noticed the bed. There were soooo many pillows on the HUGE king size bed. I couldn’t believe they were all for me!!! Reminder: This was my first time away from my family all by myself… ever! :thumb:

After I settled myself into my room and got over my excitement of the great view and the plush bed I went down to the lobby. I noticed all the people walking in and out of the “Grand Ballroom” area So I went in there to “check in”. I got a blank name tag because they had lost my name. Luckily I had brought my invoice that I paid. They said my name was probably coming in the next round but the guy hadn’t gotten there yet and to come back later.

The preview started at 6 and I was smart to know there would be a line to get in so I got there early and was about the 7th person in line. Wah hoooo! I met a very nice woman named Kathy and we chatted a bit while we waited. I asked about my name tag and still no deal. I walked around with a blanck tag all night, but thankfully I wasn't the only one. ;) They let us in and we went our separate ways. I tried to go the opposite way everyone else was going and went to the back of the HUGE room. There had to be at least 50 to 75 vendor/dealers in the room. Then I found out there was another section beside that Ballroom that had about another 25 vendors in it. When I was walking around there I had been chatting with some of the vendors. I mentioned to one that it was my first time ever at a show and I was fairly new to dollhouses and minis, only about a year in. Anyway She said well you must be in Heaven! And they she asked if I had been out to the pavilion yet because there were many more dealers out there. It turns out there are about 50 – 75 more sealers in that section too!! :D

By 9pm I could barely walk anymore!!!! I had seen so many wonderful items and met so many vendors whom I have read about in the magazines. There was no one taking pictures and I felt very strange to be the only one. Sorry I don’t have tons of “eye candy”. I only bought one piece on Friday. I figured I would just “stake” out as much as possible and do my shopping the next day.

On Saturday I woke up early. The doors opened at 9 for special preview and 10 am to the public. I was down in the lobby sitting in the wonderfully comfortable chair, just doing a bit of crochet when I looked up and saw Jamie Carrington walking my way. He looked right at me and said, in this very British accent, “Helloooo darling.”, and smiled. I was so Mini world – Celebrity smitten!!

Saturday night I “happened” in to the bar where I met me with a few other people. One of which was the vendors (Kathy) I made my only Friday night purchase from. In talking I found out she was staying at the Holiday Inn when she mentioned something about taking a taxi. I offered to pick her up on Sunday morning since I knew I’d be up early anyway. I gave her my cell and told her to give me a call.

Then on Sunday morning I came down before the doors were open and sat in on the auction. I have never been to one before. I was a row behind Jamie Carrington and at about 10:07am my phone ran and it was on the highest setting possible!!! I was SOOOOO embarrassed!. :lol: He just looked back at me and giggled when I frantically tried to stop the ring. The auctioneer made some sort of phone in bid joke! Turned out it was Kathy calling me about the ride! I had completely forgotten that I told her to call!!!

I had such a wonderful time and I met so many nice people, saw soooo many wonderful things, and Yes some very expensive things that were crazily priced! …and I spent a lot of money !! LOL

sounds like you had a fabulose time!

Im so happy for you!

I especially enjoyed the photos of the fishermans display

WOWOW

now that is something!

I loved it!

and dindt you get sooo many lil goodies!

cant wait to see them in place in your house!

nutti :yucky:

I can't believe I completely forgot to mention about hanging out with Lunnie and Kay!! It was really nice to meet them. We ended up having dinner together in the hotel resturant and chatting up a storm! Congrats to Kay on her 144th house in the running for the People's Choice Award!!

Hi everybody! Well, I had a blast on Saturday with Kay and Jamie! It really was great to finally put faces to forum posts. There was soooooooooooo much to see at the show and you truly cannot do it in a day. Lots and lots of wonderful things to see and buy! :yucky:

Tracy, we met Rik! He's a great guy and told me that you have taken his classes. We were talking so much with him that I totally forgot to take a picture of this house that he built. It's a replica of a place that he and his wife visited in Bath, England. Wait 'til you see it!

Ah, Kay is right...there was a house or was it the solarium, Kay that was $12,000? Unbelievable! If you've never seen these mini solariums they are beautiful but at $12,000? I don't think so. They are made of full lead glass and decorated beautifully. For my money, I would want $12,000 worth of dollhouses and furniture. Oh and Kay how about the house we saw that was $6,400 and no working windows? :wave: Yeah, right.

Jamie I haven't looked at your photos yet but since you were there a good deal longer and you confessed to just about blowing your mini budget :banana: I'm really looking forward to seeing what you bought before we met up.

I have photos from the Peoples Choice exhibits...just gotta download 'em and post them here. I got a nice shot of Kay's 144th scale Swiss chalet. I'm still trying to figure out how the heck she got her fingers in there to put the furniture in. :wave: It's sooooo teeny!!!

Afterwards we had dinner and talked and talked. Just wish we had more time to spend talking mini's and getting to know each other. But, hey Kay and I are neighbors so we'll be chatting regularly. Well, Jamie the next show is March in Delaware so you have to come. Kay, aren't the First State Mini's sponsoring this one?

That's my report for now!

Lynnie

$12,000? I don't think so. They are made of full lead glass and decorated beautifully.

Sounds like Lady Jane's handiwork. That's pretty much in the range of what Mark Turpin gets for his creations (Pine Island Designs).

Jaimie -

I really enjoyed the photos that you took. Thank you so much for sharing these with the many of us that weren't able to go. It sounds like you had a great time. I'll bet it was so much fun afterwards to go back to your hotel room and go through all of the neat minis that you bought. Looks like you had a great time shopping as well as viewing all the eye candy.

-Susanne

Well my shopping was done in the first hour. Then I spent the rest of the time connecting with old friends. I found some nice things too, but most of all I found some great folks to make some items for me in my current project. I had a lovely long talk with Lady Jane and told her how much I liked her things.I drool over her stuff and would love to own something someday. I really appreciated the work that goes into it since I have made the stained glass thing myself just never made an actual building. She introduced me to one of her clients, a very sweet older lady and we talked for another 15-20 minutes about the varioius projects, a very nice lady. But was it me or was there fewer vendors this year?

Alright now....Kay, I know you MUST have pictures of it by now!!

:woohoo:

I wanna see it!!

Tracy,

I wish I did! LOL

I was in such a rush to get that done and to Grace to get to the show for me before I left for the cruise I forgot to take any pictures of it at all! I could have shot myself when I realized that! Jamie's pictures are good and she captured it very well. Things that small are so hard to photograph!!!

It was a great time with Jamie and Lynne and I loved it. It was a wonderful day all the way around.

You're right Lynne, Delaware mini's club does sponsor a show in March of this year and Jamie you'll have to come down for it too. It's only a one day show I think but we still usually have over 50 vendors and tons of displays. It's great fun there too.

It was a great day and i wish I'd booked a hotel room for it so I could have been there for all of it. But with it coming so close to getting back from the cruise that didn't work out this year. Although there is always next year. :-)

Kay