Outside Access to Our GL Blogs?

pdlnpeabody

Since the PM function is still disabled, I thought I would post this as a general question: are our GL blogs supposed to be accessible online to non-GL members? I noticed a new comment in one of my blogs from a "member" who has no posts, their comment is extremely suspect and it came with a link (I won't dare click on it) for "Orlando vacation rentals".

The fact that the comment incorrectly names Leu Botanical Gardens as "Botanical Garden of Orlando", which doesn't exist, has my mental alarm bells ringing. I wondered if the "member" (janetwmorissett) found my blog online and joined just to post a link to malicious software.

To test the theory I did a Google search and did, in fact find several of my blog posts listed (I have no idea how or why they are out there in internet search land) that link directly to our forum. I'm all for more people finding and joining our family, but I would warn anyone who might look at my blog- Do NOT click on the link in the comments section.

I think a lot of the GL forum is public. The parts that aren't, like many galleries for instance, I think are only inaccessible due to error not to being hidden. Before the upgrade, everything on the GL forum was public. Anything not specifically marked as private - meaning even members can't see it - should be public. That's how I've always understood it to be.

Looks like your spammer has joined as a member. Spammers can and do join all the time, and our moderators do a lot of work to kick them out and keep them out. Unfortunately, it's often a losing battle. There are often posts, status updates, etc. all from "new members" that are clearly spam. Reporting these helps the moderators get rid of them faster.

If you click on the member's name and go to their profile, there is a "report this member" button at the bottom right. Click that and enter what you think the problem is, "member left a spam comment on my blog post" and provide a link if you want. This will go to the moderators who will take care of banning the member and erasing the comment.

I never click on any links, and I report all suspect posts with links when I spot them. There are a lot of spammers out there and yes, forum content is publicly accessible, although all our images (and, I presume, our written content, as well) are protected under copyright:

Copyright © 2008 - Greenleaf Dollhouses

All posts by Members and the Greenleaf Miniature Community Staff are the opinions of the original author and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Greenleaf Dollhouses. Material on this site cannot be reproduced without written permission from Greenleaf Dollhouses or the original author.

There were a few posts made to several parts of the forums last week, I believe. Anyway they were not dollhouse related and were removed very quickly. I know this is a public forum, so we all just have to be careful. And sometimes I do forget it is public, because I feel like you all are family. So just be careful don't click anything you are not sure of.

There were a few posts made to several parts of the forums last week, I believe. Anyway they were not dollhouse related and were removed very quickly....
There's a "Report" button in the lower right of each post box that shows up when you pass your cursor over it, that allows you to notify the admins of objectionable content such as SPAM. I do report what looks likee obvious spam as soon as I spot it, having lost one of my favorite ngs to spammers.