Best paint to use on shiny brass light fixtures?

fov

The lights I got for my half scale Queen Anne rowhouse are all shiny brass and I wanted something more subdued. I carefully painted the brass parts with plain old matte black paint (something from Michael's, it might be Ceramcoat). I wanted them to look like wrought iron.

After doing a couple of coats and letting them dry, the paint was flaking off very easily. So I touched them up and then, when dry, painted on matte varnish to protect the paint. But some of the paint is still flaking off - even as I'm painting on the varnish, it's like the contact with the paintbrush is causing the paint to scrape away. I don't need them to be perfect looking (a bit of brass showing through actually looks nice) but the brass is so shiny, and if a big patch gets scraped off it looks bad. I'm concerned about putting them in the house and then having paint flake off if something bumps the light (*ahem* like my hand) and not be able to fix it due to the cramped space.

Is there a better paint to use for this? Maybe I should have used gesso first to give the paint something to stick to? (Kinda late for that now...) Any ideas will be appreciated!

I did this once with a brass fixture. I used spray grey primer and then a silver spray overcoat. It was still a very delicate finish, so I was careful not to handle it too much when I installed it. I actually ended up using it on Baxter Pointe Villa instead of the Newport. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts. I think shiny metal of any kind is going to be hard to paint and have it stick.

http://www.otterine....og1.php/alchemy

Also, I've sprayed brass door hardware flat black and then painted over it. That is also a delicate finish that I've had to touch up from time to time.

I have been spray painting my brass fixtures with black matte spray paint for my Nottingham (except for the great room light I am going to leave brass to go with the gold accents on the roof and walls).... I too have had the paint flake pretty easily.... maybe automotive paint would work?????? I don't know.... very curious too if anyone has any ideas

At least I'm glad to hear it's not just me! I wonder if something like Testors model paint would work better?

I first got the idea to do this from a Guys from Texas workshop I took, where we painted the door knobs black and then sanded a tiny bit off to make it look like tarnished brass. I don't remember it flaking like this. On the other hand, the doorknob was immediately glued in place and doesn't get handled.

I found this link about painting brass: http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Brass (I suspect these fixtures aren't real brass but the problem of the paint not adhering is the same...)

It says to use a self-etching primer to give the brass a bumpy surface paint can adhere to. Makes sense but when I look up "self-etching primer" all I find are sprays. These pieces are tiny and I don't really want to attempt to mask them (esp. since some of them use part of the fixture as a contact point for the light bulb, I'm assuming if they get coated in primer and/or paint that would disrupt the electrical current?)

I have one more fixture that I haven't painted yet, maybe I will try gesso on it first since that's the same concept. If that works I could always sand the paint off the ones I've already done (it comes off easily enough!) and start over.

Most, if not all decorative brass has a lacquered finish. So if you use a liquid de-glosser this will dull the finish & allow paint to stick to it without losing detail. For the mini items that we use this method works much better than sanding. Altho there is the chemical downside.

Good to know, thanks. I have not heard of liquid de-glosser but it sounds like something the tinkerer of the house might have in the garage somewhere. :D

Last night I scraped the paint off one fixture (very easily!), then buffed it up the best I could with a nail file and painted on a coat of gesso. I let that dry overnight so haven't tried re-painting it yet. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I dont have any solutions, but I find different metals take the paint better than others, for instance I dont have any problems with painting door knobs (as long as I let the first coat dry totally thoroughly....but I have isuues with flaking when painting lamp bases.

I did want to say to Audra I COULDNT AGREE MORE! I really wonder when the miniatures industry is going to get out of the 80s and start producing finishes on furniture and metals that arent shiny mahogany and brass.

• Like 2

I use fine steel wool on my brass fixtures and painted them black having no problems with the paint coming off. The problem is the lacquer finish. But once I dulled/roughed it up with the steel wool it worked perfect! :kicking:

And using the steel wool will not make the surface of the brass show any scratching through the paint. You also don't have to deal with any chemicals.

• 3 months later...

As a follow-up to this topic... if I want to keep the color the same but make it look like old tarnished brash instead of new shiny brass, is there something I can just paint on the fixture to "tarnish" it?

I use fine steel wool on my brass fixtures and painted them black having no problems with the paint coming off. The problem is the lacquer finish. But once I dulled/roughed it up with the steel wool it worked perfect! :kicking:

And using the steel wool will not make the surface of the brass show any scratching through the paint. You also don't have to deal with any chemicals.

I do the same and it works perfectly...for painting I use only acrylics colours...and they work too :D

• 1 year later...

Another way I've painted shiny brass is with a super cheap velvet nail varnish - you paint it on nail varnish to remove the shine, thus giving a 'velvet' or matte surface. I then paint over that with an acrylic or stain or whatever. It worked well. This method actually came from a blog I follow, so it's not my discovery. The velvet varnish was a few dollars including shipping on ebay.

• Like 1

Like Shannon, I've used cheap nail polish on metals or other surfaces that just won't seem to hold paint, and had pretty good results.

But velvet nail polish (varnish)... this I haven't heard of. Another new item to search for!

I just use a metal primer specifically for outdoor metal, it has always worked for me. I've just been doing just that with bronze and silver minis that I want to paint and haven't had any problems. I don't bother to file them down first.

For anything really stubborn I put on some spray varnish before the paint. You have to do it in fine layers first and let them dry thoroughly between each layer though or it can look a bit lumpy.

For anything really stubborn I put on some spray varnish before the paint. You have to do it in fine layers first and let them dry thoroughly between each layer though or it can look a bit lumpy.

Went to Walmart yesterday looking for matte nail polish. The clerk helped me find some. It was called "Wet n Wild Wild Shine" and in small print, "matte top coat". It's a cloudy pale grey in the bottle. Tried it on a shiny brass button and it now looks like brushed brass. The clerk said it seems to be becoming a trend for nails so think I will pick up some more next time I'm there. I'm working on a piece of painted furniture and I wanted to seal the paint, but not have shine--looks like this will do the trick...especially at .93 a bottle!

Oh,I'll have to look for this one,Debra! It's been about a year since I bought any,but I have dozens of bottles of nail enamel in a plastic box that have never been used on nails,just minis. :) There are tons of colors and finishes out there to try (and now this one I've never seen) and the prices,even when they are a bit higher,are worth what you get for how far it goes. Thanx for posting about this top coat!

This works great for shiny metal surfaces; however, I wasn't happy with the results on a black painted piece of furniture. I tried it on a small area and it looked streaky and uneven when dry. Of course, if you wanted it that way it would be perfect! LOL!

• Like 1