What do you collect other than miniatures?

Guest Happy Heart

My sweet DH would prefer I collect nothing at all - HOWEVER - I collect spoons. Have one from every U.S. state and many from other countries. Four of them are antiques, handed down to me by my great-grandmother. One is a carved wooden spoon made by an Indian Tribe in South America.

I also collect creches - have about 29 at last count. Those range in size from 14" tall to one that's inside a walnut shell.

Guest Happy Heart

I also collect creches - have about 29 at last count. Those range in size from 14" tall to one that's inside a walnut shell.

What is a creche?

I make and collect sock monkeys. Most of mine are in full kilt with sporrans, ghillies (shoes), bonnets, belts, and bagpipes or drums. (I play the pipes, hench my handle.) I knitted one last year that's about 20 " tall, and the last ones were from tiny socks my friend found in Shipshewana. The finished monkeys are 4-1/2" tall.

Guest Happy Heart

Manger scene - Nativity scene

Here's one of the smaller ones that I put in the dollhouse each year --

post-4286-0-96734000-1353312679_thumb.jp

Ok I know what a Nativity scene is, I've just never heard it referred to as a creche. Those miniature Nativity figurines are adorable. :)

• Like 1

Creche is the French word for cradle.

Thanks for that info, Holly. I didn't know where the word came from. For most of my life I've just called these Nativity Scenes, but somewhere along the way in the last 10 years or so everyone seems to call them "creche" - so I finally switched. How funny!

• 1 month later...

Oh, and I also collect sewing machine teapots tho I don't drink tea, lol

Lol I had a blonde moment and thought that meant sewing machines that make you a cup of tea! That'd be handy though.

I used to collect dolls, about ten years ago I came up with a grand plan to get Barbies, repaint their faces and redress them in historically accurate costumes. . . now I have a wardrobe full of naked Barbies and boxes of vintage fabric and ONE doll I redressed.

I also sort of collect paper dolls. . . but only ones I've made, and to make them I collect pictures of anything to do with historical clothing.

Edited by Lily Pily
  • Like 1

I also collect paperdolls!

I love them! I also love the fact that my great-grandmother used to make them for my nana and her sisters, and that's why my nana bought them for me as a child and taught me to make my own. It sort of gives it a history that makes it more meaningful.

Guest Happy Heart

Lol I had a blonde moment and thought that meant sewing machines that make you a cup of tea! That'd be handy though.

I used to collect dolls, about ten years ago I came up with a grand plan to get Barbies, repaint their faces and redress them in historically accurate costumes. . . now I have a wardrobe full of naked Barbies and boxes of vintage fabric and ONE doll I redressed.

I also sort of collect paper dolls. . . but only ones I've made, and to make them I collect pictures of anything to do with historical clothing.

Perhaps I should have said 'sewing machine shaped porcelain teapots', LOL I have a few porcelain Ladies also tho I quit barbies long before 10 years ago. Sewing that small is too frustrating.

• Like 1

...I quit barbies long before 10 years ago. Sewing that small is too frustrating.
I thought so, too; then I started making (and dressing) dolls for my houses. The family that lives in my Fairfields were interesting to dress... I prefer the books of antique paperdolls, and I used the Lettie Lane dolls' clothes to dress the Fairfields' family & staff.
  • Like 1

I collect something which is very English I suppose, they are sugar tongs, some in silver and some in chrome but the nicest one that I have is very old and made in brass and wood. The first pair I had belonged to my grandmother although she never took sugar in her tea.

• Like 1