What do you collect other than miniatures?

Guest Happy Heart

I'm really proud of my hubby's work so I wanted to point out his paperclay stonework. Check out the courtyard ground: http://www.debsminis.com/atwarsend21.jpg That was his first attempt with paperclay and following the techniques I showed him that Miz Tracy taught me, he did pretty good, huh. <beaming with pride> That's my baby! He rocks.

Deb

Wow Deb, tell him from me, that his work is wonderful. Glad I figured out to click on the top buttons to get the detail picutres. My grands will enjoy seeing these too. Thanks for sharing them.

I'll be sure to tell him Selkie and it'll make his day. He really enjoys doing miniatures. He even built a mini paint booth for us to use with the paint gun which I thought was really cool of him. I think he's itching to get back into minis too.

Deb

Deb, DH has N-scale trains and so far I've been building his little polystyrene buildings. I'm sort of campaigning for him to give a try at doing his own landscaping, so we'll see...

I also collect hobbies. Does that count? I sew, crochet, embroider, paint ceramics, play with electronics, garden, landscape, breed fish, draw, run websites, refinish furniture and do home repair. I need longer days.

You not only need longer days, you need about six more arms!!!! Wow, that's a whole lotta stuff to keep up with. However, you're never bored!

Holly, sooner or later your DH is going to have to give in and get bit by the mini bug too. Maybe the landscaping. That's what got Bruce hooked.

Deb

I started the purple one in 1995 to match a truck I just bought. The green one is from before that and had pink trim that I ran out of. I pulled that off and bought new. I have another one from 1990 I found cleaning out a closet and it's up next for finishing. I go in phases on what I work on.....right now though, I seem to be doing everything at once.

I should follow your lead and hoe out my stashes. No more new projects until ALL the old ones are finished.

.... Um-m-m maybe another day ....

• Like 1

No more new projects until ALL the old ones are finished.

Did you really just say that? With a straight face even?????? hehehehehehehe You know how that's going to work out, right? <getting out my stop watch> Here, I'll time you and we'll see how long you can go before you start a new project.

<playing Jeopardy theme song> <glancing at the watch> Hmm. You're stronger than I thought. Hang on. <running off to the studio> <coming back to hold up a container full of beads in shiny little tubes> Look Selkie, fire glazed delicas! <rummaging around some more> Oooooh, there's some white silk ribbon and a rainbow selection of dye. Selkie? Selkie????????

<clicking off stop watch> Hey, that was almost a whole minute! You did lots better than I did. I caved at the mere mention of beads. hehehehehehehehehe :hug:

Deb

• Like 1

Did you really just say that? With a straight face even??????

<running off to the studio> <coming back to hold up a container full of beads in shiny little tubes> Look Selkie, fire glazed delicas! <rummaging around some more> Oooooh, there's some white silk ribbon and a rainbow selection of dye. Selkie? Selkie????????

Oh sorry Deb, I was gone getting the kiddos some lunch.

Beads, did you say beads? Do they sparkle? Well, then I'm in.

Who wants to finish the laundry anyways?

Oh, I do have a toilet that I need to unclog before I do anything else.

I know TMI ... TMI ....

I really DO need to finish something, once in a while though, don't ya think?

I have been having a blast unpacking in the workshop; I forgot just how mini pretty, sparkly beads I've hoarded gathered over the years. When I'm resting my back it's between knitting a RL ripple afghan (teaching myself to knit ripples was this year's learning project, although DH has me starting another one Tuesday evening) and stitching a 1:12 Persian rug for whichever house i end up building the Small family to replace Mildred.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of collecting hobbies! In addition to miniatures, I collect Hot Toys 1/6 scale action figures, kitchen gadgets/bakeware, woodworking/woodcarving tools and art supplies (by far the largest part of my hoard of treasures). I am so happy to have found so many other like-minded collectors!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I collect piggy banks :D Of course not all are pigs. That's the fun of it! I have a cow, three cats, a rabbit... And a lot more, so I won't name them all. But my favourite is a VERY old MobyDick bank. It's made of solid heavy metal and to put coins in you have to push down on a lever. I love finding old ones at thrift shops and tag sales. I have to manage my money between my two hobbies - miniatures and banks!

Edited by DarlingMini

For me it's always been anything and everything butterfly-even my paper towels!lol I am surrounded by butterflies in the kitchen,bedroom,and bathroom-not real ones,of course,as I don't want dead ones,but butterfly print curtains,kitchen towels,wall decor,etc. It just makes me smile!!

I collected all sorts and sizes of blue and white snowmen for years,but had to give up most of them when I moved to a smaller space. I've recently decided to start collecting mini snowmen instead.:D

I sort of collect hobbies, I'm always looking for something new to learn - so far this year I've started learning to quilt, build dollhouses and speak french (the french isn't going so well...)

and I collect ABJDs (a type of resin doll) in fact I got interested in building Minis since my smallest dolls needed a house :) and I have a couple of Blythe doll customs and far to many Monster High dolls (I customize and sell them)

I also like Monster High

• 2 weeks later...

I collect snowmen on purpose....

when my Gran passed she left a hoarders collection of antique glass... the good stuff was removed from the house and is gone forever

BUT in the barn under all the raccoon poop...was over 100 banana boxes of GLASS all kinds of patterns including her retirement gift lead crystal punch bowl set including platter....I was able to save 40 boxes of glass from the final sale of her stuff...

so I am a collector of glass accidentally...which is ok cuz she loved it soooooo

but I suspect when I am gone...just like my dollhouses...no one will care...snif

Nutti, I already know that no one wants any of my stuff. I need to finish organizing it all so I can at least label the expensive stuff. I don't want a $500 horse sold off for a dollar at a yard sale.

I have a lot of collections and I am thoroughly enjoying them now. If I need to downsize I will, but otherwise, what happens to it later, I don't care.

• Like 1

oh yes Ladies I agree, what I enjoy may not for others but while Im here I will enjoy and be enthusiastic and when Im gone...well Ill be gone...

Pixie has already claimed the tea cups and tea pot... so I know some things will be passed around the family and of course my small collection of Vaseline glass

including the last expensive thing my gran purchased...my mother made me take it from the house on our first visit to the house before the whole drug out court thing

it is the only thing from that part of her collection that exist...she said if you dont take it it wont be here when we come back...and nothing was....

but the dollhouse stuff will be reduced to whatever house each kid has built for them....and still wants it!

somebody will enjoy them!