What do you collect other than miniatures?

Guest Happy Heart

I collect old movie house lobby cards from "B" Westerns, especially Rocky Lane movies. I have a few "Durango Kid" lobby cards and movie stills as well as some Hopalong Cassidy items. My movie collecting slowed down as I started collecting out of production dollhouse kits.

post-8632-0-60216800-1405200780_thumb.jp

post-8632-0-69942400-1405200782_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I used to display my awesome piggy bank collection , until people kept buying me pigs. It's not pigs.....it's banks that LOOK like pigs. Ugh!! Lol they are safely packed away to display again some day, with the exception of one. It's in my sons room and it's life size. He's so cool. Lol

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I have a couple of things I collect.

Books. I just can't get rid of a book, even though I mainly read on my Kindle now. I still pick up some physical books, either to continue a series, something that's out of print and can't find on Kindle, or it just caught my eye. Craft books are all in physical form, as are picture-heavy ones.

Shoes. I love shoes, especially heels. My latest splurge was a pair of high-button shoes that are just too cute (they actually snap, but it looks like buttons).

Tarot decks. My favorite to use is my Halloween deck. My favorite in my collection is an Alice in Wonderland deck inspired by Sir John Tenniel's illustrations.

Socks. I don't wear them, but I have a large collection of them, ranging from an awesome set of littlemissmatched to Sock It To Me knee highs, to hand-knit pairs I've made.

Comics. Mostly ones from when I was a kid - Archie, Betty, Sabrina the Teen-Age Witch, but I also collect Daisy and Donald and a couple of other short-run series. I have, however, become hooked on the Afterlife With Archie series and will also be starting The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina series, set to come out soon.

Stationery. I love different designs and have several pretty sets, including one that matches some calling cards.

Yarn. Being a knitter, I always have to have lots of yarn on hand, so I can work on something, no matter what I'm in the mood for. One of the things I need to work on is getting some sort of cubby storage system in place to hold all my skeins.

I'm not really a collector but I have inherited collections from family members.

My father was an airline pilot and whenever he would go to Toronto he would buy miniature Limoges tea sets for my Grandmother, I have all of them in a display cabinet. Too bad they are just a little bit larger than 1:12 scale. She also collected Thonet bentwood chairs so I now own three original ones and the doll set.

My mother in law had a massive collection of Blue Willow china and many Blue and White serving prices, which I now own. She also collected or created cross-stitching which are framed beautifully and are now displayed in my Dollhouse room.

Thought I would share how we display our collection of wooden fish and favorite fishing lures and flies. My husband cut down a tall table (from thrift store) and added a wooden bottom. It is not easy to dust and not toddler or pet friendly, but we like our coffee table display.

post-58020-0-34019800-1412818576_thumb.j

• Like 2

The problem I had was that I like Coca-Cola, so I made my kitchen a Coca-Cola kitchen. Red, white and black colors and eveything Coca-Cola.But....

Then, everyone would buy me Coca-Cola things,things and more things. I finally had to box things up and into the garage it is. I made a collection

of 1/2" scale and placed them in a roombox and put it on the one wall, next to a completed puzzle another family member gave me. And that is

why my collection of 1/2" scale dollhouses is all I want to have.

A few years back in one of our thrift store frenzies DH found me a Pierrot doll that was breathtakingly gorgeous. Since then we keep a lookout for Pierrots and Harlequins that are beautiful and unusual. We found one today dressed all in silver with black accents.

• Like 2

Gail,your experience with collecting Coca-Cola items-or their being collected 'for' you,lol, reminds me of my poor older son's dilemma. He has worked for Coca-Cola since graduating high school and although he doesn't hate it,he says he doesn't need the constant reminder of it by his paternal relatives gifts of every Coca-Cola-themed item they can find 'for' him! LOL I used to think I'd do a Coca-Cola roombox for him,but won't dare now!haha

I've been collecting pink things since my diagnosis,although before then I hated the color pink for about 50 years! (Too much of it as a little girl!) Now,not so much dislike of it and it's my younger son's very favorite color,so I have been giving him pink things for the last several years. He's taken some teasing for it,but I told him to remind people,God made pink for everybody,NOT just girls!:)

• Like 1

The history of the color pink is interesting to me. It was not always specifically a "girl" color. It was used for royalty and boys at different times. It was a more of a manufacturing market that drove it to be designated for just girls.

Here are some links that are fun to read. I'm sure there are more technical ones out there but I found these interesting.

Link

Link

Link

• Like 1

My next door neighbor had a garage fire two days ago. They only use the house for winters so it was boarded up with hurricane shutters. Luckily, a family was driving by just as it was starting. He grabed a hose while she banged on my door to find out what the street address was. Anyway, when the entire fire department showed up they were all wearing pink t-shirts. It took me a few moments to figure out why... Then I got it.

• Like 1

Thanx for posting those links,Selkie! Last year I read many things like them,studying up on this 'tradition' because it has always bugged me that boys have always been considered sissies (A terrible term!) if they even looked at pink in a favorable way! Ridiculous!

Add to that the silly notion that ALL women should cut their hair off and wear it short after a certain age-and I think that age gets younger and younger! I'm certain none of us here are old enough to remember,but women just didn't cut their hair off before the 1920s! Now,for the last several generations,it's expected...I loved my long hair and cannot wait for it to grow back!

One final pet peeve,that unnerves most people I dare to mention it to,but women shaving their underarms as the 'norm',in America,didn't start until about 100 years ago,when the Gillette razor company decided they could increase their profits by marketing the practice to women as a hygiene and beauty issue...Now,I'm not saying do or don't,but it sucks that we are expected to,all because a greedy corporation wanted to get the other half of the population's money!! LOL

Sorry,this post was way off subject,but I guess I can bring it back by saying I 'collect' information,history, and trivia like this from the internet,where every isn't always a lie and you can learn so many interesting things! :D

Edited by kat57
  • Like 1

On the subject of shaving, after a certain age who cares? For cutting hair, however, when mine was long I would wake up in the AM to a pillowful of hair (it's baby fine and very thick). When our bookstore went belly up the jobs I found involved machinery (bench jeweler's apprentice, bindery) and I cut my waist length hair into a "boyish" bob that took two stages because the national chain "beauty shop" I first went to (that advertised they cut hair any way the customer wanted it) refused to cut it shorter than shoulder length; I've been going to barber shops ever since. Since we hike, paddle kayaks and ride bikes extremely short hair makes sense for me.

• Like 2

Sensible,safe reasons like that,I agree with,Holly,or because someone likes themselves in short hair,but some might be surprised how many women are still taught the nonsense of 'age appropriate' length and therefore think everyone else should follow it,even in this day and age when 'everything goes' is usually followed!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=age+appropriate+hair+length

If I want short hair,I want it because it suits my lifestyle or my looks,NOT because society says I'm too old for long hair!! Aaack!!! Maybe it's cuz I was a teenager in the crazy '70s,who knows?!

Edited by kat57
  • Like 1

I collect (grow actually) Bonsai so I have a bunch of those, miniature animals (must be under a certain size in my mind and I prefer realistic), books (I have all of Stephen King's except one I didn't like), those glass insulator thingies but only in blue, craft supplies (mostly because I dont remember what I haveeeee SQUIRREL!), fabric (oops, not on purpose) and my own artwork because what else do you do with it LOL. Oh, and I do photography so I guess technically I collect digital photos although they're my own LOL. I also have several instruments, but because I play em I don't consider it collecting. Friend of mine with 12 guitars (and he's a bass player), yea, that's collecting haha. My dad tells me I need a bigger house. Nah, I just need a better storage system....

Haven't been able to really do the mini animals in a while, they're hard to find unless I look on ebay and that's dangerous. They use to sell them at the flea market but went out of favor. My favorites are the ceramic ones that used to come glued on a little piece of paper :)

Edited by nsmar4211

Ever since I have been looking for dollhouse furniture online, I seem to be collecting dolls. I have little Holly Hobbie dolls who live in my dollhouse, and you know what those little rugrats got me to do. They got me to send for their cousins! They told me where I can find them online.

They said their cousins are cute like they are, and for the most part, they also wear bonnets. They said they like their outfits, even though they are fruity. So here I am searching for little Strawberry Shortcake dolls on e-bay, and while I was very much into Holly Hobbie, I was only somewhat aware of Strawberry Shortcake. So how was I to know she had so many friends - practically one for every fruit or dessert. I must have searched through a thousand dolls looking for the cousins.

So I purchased two cuties who came together, and the "girls" were delighted. It was only after I placed my order that they told me they weren't their cousins, and sent me back out searching. Well what was I to do - leave them stranded out there? Naturally their cousins had to be on the more expensive end of the spectrum, but the girls know their kin, so I couldn't very well send for the wrong girl now, could I. - So not only do I collect little dolls in my old age, I collect ones who speak to me.

My collection lists are on page 4, so I won't list again.

I just wanted to jump in on the hair thing. I have always had long hair and I love it. When it all fell out I was at such a loss and as it grew in and was trimmed I discovered I REALLY hated short hair. It took about 2 years, but it all grew back just as long and thick as it was. Call me happy. Back in the day, women never cut their hair, but once they were married, they wore it up.

I have to be careful when I say I dislike short hair to include the 'on me' part. Some women take it personal, like you are insulting them.

I also seem to collect fat. I have a large collection of it now.

• Like 2

I won't yet admit to collecting miniature dolls, but I do seem to have an ever-growing inventory of them! Thirty years ago I was one of those miniaturists who didn't like dolls in the dollhouse, but I did like to pose the scene as if someone had just left the room - an open book on the sofa, a cup of coffee on the table, dishes in the sink, etc. Maybe I got the fever when I won (FREE in a drawing) my Sherri Colvin doll a few years ago. Before that I had only seen the cheapy ones with clouds of hair and cookie-cutter faces. I still don't have another SC doll but I have several of Wolfie's, some Caco and Erna Meyer dolls, and quite a few resin dolls.

Maybe I'll quite buying them now - right after I get that next one from Wolfie :)

• Like 1